My =ultimate= multi-fx pedalboard...W.I.P

Started by Auke Haarsma, April 14, 2007, 06:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valoosj

Danger Danger    High Voltage    ;D

Cool to know that you're still working on it.
What the hell does an oscillope do?

(I received news from digikey, the chips are on their way. So soon I will start on the payback)
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

Auke Haarsma

Chips on their way, Cool!

An oscilloscope is a tool with which you can measure voltages over time (among other things, if I understood correctly). Mine looks like:

And this is what my desk looks like now (with the unfinished PwrSupply):

On the right side (between my solderstation and my laptop) you can see my new DMM. Really nice big screen and better accuracy!

Valoosj

Chips have just arrived :D
I'll go to the electonics store this afternoon, (leaving in 3 minutes :D) and get the others as well.
There is a sticker on the package warning for electrostatics and stuff. Any precaucionary advice?

I'll send them all in a little package, but I don't want to kill the ICs due to electrostatics, so I'll wait before I open them until I know how to do this safely.
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

Auke Haarsma

discharge yourself by touching a radiator.

No need for big caution though...It's a normal warning.

scaesic

when you fired up your ps to test it, did you just have your dmm across the output?

or did you have some load circuit across the output?

Auke Haarsma

I tested the 18V outputs with the PT-80 as load.

The 9V outputs have been tested unloaded or with just a LED+limiting resistor.

Should I test it with load?

scaesic

i was asking because i am about to build and test a traffo/diode bridge/rectifier psu for an amp, and i didint knwo if i should test it without a load or not.

on one hand im not sure if its good for the psu to have no load, and on the other i dont want to "test" the psu on a circuit.

Auke Haarsma

I think it is best to test the PSU with a load. I'm sure there's an easy way to simulate a load on the PSU. What about a big resistor to ground from the +-side? E.g. 1-10M?

scaesic

Auke Haarsma

well.... today a second resistor (100 Ohm, 1/4 Watt) burnen itself up. Again the resistor at the 18V part. I guess 1/4 Watt just isn't enough for this position. I either remove the resistors or get higher Watt resistors. Any tips?

kurtlives

My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Auke Haarsma

That's indeed what I'm gonna do. I just wanna make sure 1/2 Watt is enough (I guess it's safer to get 1 Watt or even 2 Watt resistors, just to be sure).

Auke Haarsma

Well, it turned out that I had to ditch the 100Ohm resistor all together. PS Design error on my side, solved by help of this board! Right now I use the PS for debugging the NeoVibe and other fx. This ofcourse is also a test for the PS. I need to add some heatsinks, since the regulators do get hot now that the PS is working correctly.

I'm glad it is working, because after burning up three resistors and experience a voltage drop which I didn't understand, I was close at throwing my 3rd PS-design out of the window. Finally it's looking good!

I also ordered some knobs from a hong kong supplier, to see if the fit my shafts (See shaft-diameter discussion here). So you see, some work on the external-side of this project is also being done!

I'll keep you posted. Back to neovibe debugging...

coxter

Would like to do a quick shout out for the Original threadstarter.

Keep it going dude! I really think you're doing a great job!
Can't wait to see the finished product as much as you do!

Auke Haarsma

Coxter: Thanks! Much appreciated! Sometimes it's hard when things don't work...but everytime I get something to work it feels like small victory!

I just put in an order at Smallbear. I wanted to buy RG's PCB book (both to learn from him and as a token of my appreciation of him). But, well... as you probably recognize...after a couple of minutes your cart has way more items than the single item you came for...

I saw these nice push-pull pots at Smallbear. I have ordered a bunch of them, and plan to use them as switches for eg clipping diodes in the Rat en TS, chorus/vibe switch in the NeoVibe. Looks nice and it's a real space saver for my crowded project!

Auke Haarsma

The NeoVibe is up and running! Love this effect. From very subtle to freaking wobbling! I'm glad this one works out!

scaesic

is that a bulb with 4 ldrs around it? Thats so diy i love it!

Auke Haarsma

Auke Haarsma

Two pics of the sample knobs I ordered via Ebay from Hong Kong. They arrived last weekend:

I really like the dome knobs best. They're nicer and smaller (and more expensive...). Downside is they don't have an indicator on top, so you can't tell what setting they are at. Quite easily solved with a small dot of (reflective) paint, I guess.

Browsing the Hong Kong shop I saw another knob-type quite like the dome knob above, but quite a bit cheaper. I ordered a couple to evaluate. Paypal wants to check my account, so payment is delayed a couple of days. So will be the delivery. I expect them end of this month. Once received and reviewed I think I can decide on which knobs I want and order them (~50-60 knobs).

Work on the fx has been delayed a bit due to some testing of the Payback 1.1.

Stay tuned!

Valoosj

You could also go to an arts and crafts store, and buy some of those stick on circles. They should come in all sizes...

How is that payback coming along? did you find out any mistakes?