Tech 21 Tri A.c

Started by Rattlehead, April 14, 2007, 10:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rattlehead

has anyone tried it?
does it worth the 200 bucks?
i'm basically looking for a versatile dist' that can go from ac/dc to megadeth

LoudGreg

I have the Tech 21 Tri-OD, which is a similar device. I really like it. You can go from Fender, to Boogie, to Marshall. It's not a toy but a high tech distortion pedal and sounds great. (it's my main dist. pedal) But it you want to get to Megadeath type of distortion you might need to add another device before it. 
Guitar player not a tech............

Processaurus

Its a nice pedal, but this is the place for DIY type questions, right?  So here's some thoughts for the DIYer.  There's something you could do to make it better, the Marshall setting is curiously trebly/pokey/hurty, if you get one you'll probably want to look into modifying it, unless you have a real dark amp.  There was a post in the past (by Ansil, I believe) about how they found the "bright" cap in there and got it sounding kosher.

At geofex there is a project called the multi-volume footswitch or something similar, the switching system logic could be a good place to start for a DIY version of the functionality of pedals like the Tri AC (a bunch of footswitches that one tap turns on what that switch does and turns off all the others).

Rattlehead

tnx guys.
well, i guess it's not heavy enough for sutff like megadeth...
any suggestions for a pedal i can build/buy that will give me a good megadeth sound?

d95err

Quote from: Rattlehead on April 14, 2007, 10:54:41 PM
tnx guys.
well, i guess it's not heavy enough for sutff like megadeth...
any suggestions for a pedal i can build/buy that will give me a good megadeth sound?

No pedal alone can give you a particular sound. It's always a combination of player, guitar, effects, amp. So, if you tell us what the rest of your rig is, perhaps we can come up with some suggestions.

jonathan perez

what album? (big megadeth fan)
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

Rattlehead

I will have (in about 2 months when i'll have enough money) either an old jackson or a schecter c-1 artist
amp: fender rod hot deville 212 (yeah i know, it's the last thing i can use for metal, but that's what i have for now, and a new amp is not an option)
about the sound, i'd say rust in peace

jonathan perez

ok, mustaine used a Custom Audio Electronics 3+ preamp
http://www.customaudioelectronics.com/3_SE_preamp.htm

and a stock boss metal zone. you can hear it, prominently, on Friedman's lead during Five Magics.

the other day i modified my buddies metal zone with some "marshall-boogie" mods from Indyguitarist.com, and it sounded KILLER! VERY VERY close to that RIP, tone, which i find is very crunchy, yet "gated" so that chords arent just pure mush.

my suggestion? a modded metal zone will take you home, if a stock one doesnt. getting that tone is pretty difficult, DIY, but it can be done for sure with a metal zone and some patience.  ;)

what do you think?
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

Rattlehead

tnx man! =)
how bout a pedal i can build?

funkbass187

Quote from: Rattlehead on April 15, 2007, 09:44:52 AM
I will have (in about 2 months when i'll have enough money) either an old jackson or a schecter c-1 artist
amp: fender rod hot deville 212 (yeah i know, it's the last thing i can use for metal, but that's what i have for now, and a new amp is not an option)
about the sound, i'd say rust in peace
slightly OT, but schecters are one of the most underrated instruments out there. i have one of their basses and i swear by it. plays better than most basses that cost twice as much.
"some men see things as they are and ask why... i dream things that never were and ask 'Y NOT'"