Hum on Orange Squeezer

Started by EddieL, April 15, 2007, 02:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EddieL

I have completed the OSQ kit from GGG.  I built it exactly to specs except for the 1n100 diode.  I broke the diode that came in the kit.  I am using an NTE583 Schottky instead.  I also put in a NTE110A germanium and cannot tell any difference.  I plan on ordering a 1n100 for later use, but I don't believe the diode is the source of my problem.  The effect works and is a very nice subtle compressor, but  I hear a preety nasty hum whenever the pedal is engaged.  When bypassed, I hear no noise.  If I turn the 10K trimpot down, the hum is not as loud, but neither is my guitar signal.  See the link below for a picture.  Anyone have any suggestions?  or can suggest what to test?  Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=233&Itemid=257

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/22/pedalpp3.jpg

-Eddie

Hanglow

Mine is also from GGG and makes a quite horrible hum from my powersupply, but on battery it is very quiet.

So try a battery, if you are and still get the hum then it  is something else, maybe a grounding problem somewhere

zencafe

Hi; The huumm is caused by a ripple problem... probably you power suplies haven't got enough filter. I had the same trouble with my OS.
Try the Tonepad Power Supply... it works just well with this great comp. It has 940uF of filtering. If you don't wanna build another PS, try adding bigger caps to the filter section... as I said, 940 or a single 1000uf should do. And if for any reason doesn't.... try with even bigger, until you get rid of the hum.

Greetings

Z.
Long Life to Cmos

Hanglow

cool, I might try that on my psu

markm

If it's humming only with an AC adapter I would venture a guess that it's possibly a bad connection on the 9V jack, no?

Processaurus

Mine's the same, the power supply has to be squeaky clean (regulated) for it not to hum like crazy.  I don't think its an error with yours.

zencafe

Quote from: markm on April 15, 2007, 07:51:24 PM
If it's humming only with an AC adapter I would venture a guess that it's possibly a bad connection on the 9V jack, no?

That maybe also... but the huum noise is typical of ripple problems... besides, I think 90% of posts about hum in OS is caused by ripple.

Regrads!

D.
Long Life to Cmos

EddieL

Thanks for the responses.  It does appear to be a power supply issue.