"RTD 1 live" tube distortion kit. Anyone tried it?

Started by syndromet, April 16, 2007, 05:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

syndromet

I just ordered a RTD 1 live kit from musikding.com, to learn how to play with tubes.  :icon_evil:

It's based on a schematic posted in `Gitar und Bass magazine` sometime in late -06, and seems to be a tube distortion running a PCF802 tube at around 50 volts. Schematic can be found here.
Here is the schematic, with an alternative wiring connecting the pentode after the triode.

Here is a page with some info in german.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone have tried one of those, or a design similar to this. If so, how does it sound? Looks like a nice project for the price.
My diy-site: www.syndromet.com

koulis

I did not try this one,but i just ordered one Tube Amp kit from them(A15MK1) ;)

Cheers

syndromet

Quote from: koulis on April 17, 2007, 05:45:11 PM
I did not try this one,but i just ordered one Tube Amp kit from them(A15MK1) ;)

Cheers
Those madamp tube kits looks very nice, and are the cheapest kits I'we found on the net. The soundclips ower at madamp.com sounds promising too. i think I'm gonna order two of the A15mk1 when I have enough money, so let me know how yours sound.

koulis

I couldn't agree more about cheep,with so many features(2 channels with independent volume,buffered fx loop etc.)the price is steal :icon_biggrin:
The sounds are very nice indeed! There will be a newer improoved version of the kit with a better OT and some tone improvements at the begining of May.I delayed my order for the newer version.

Blues_Boy_4096

soulsonic

Hey, that project looks cool. And the price is great! I wonder how much shipping is from Germany?
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

MartyMart

€279 for the A15Mk1 deluxe is a great price, includes a pre-drilled and painted chassis !!
( Cutting the tube holes for noval/octal can be a PITA )
I can't see how you could possibly do that any cheaper .... and they supply the tubes ?? !!
Superb :D
MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Jaicen_solo

Can we find any samples of the tube distortion? I'd be interested to hear it pushing a Valve Junior or something, since that's what i'd use it for.

syndromet

I have recived the parts, but haven't had the time to build it yet. Probably won't have the time in the nearest future either, since I'm having a baby in matter of days (hopefully). Anyway, the kit looks great, and all high quality parts. I'll let you know if I find the time to put this together an evening. The guys at the musikding forum says it sounds superb, at least.

JHS

Forget the RDT1, stock it sounds terrible and it's noisy. I 've posted some mods for the RDT in the German forum, some of the improvements had been copied by the inventor of the RDT (he also has a website with more infos about it).

I 'll stuck with my improved RDT designs, some guys from the forum have built them mailed me that they sound way better than the original RDT (which is very raspy at higher gain settings). One design is a MM RD50 OD knock off the other was inspired by the Reussenzehn "Danied D" tubebooster.

JHS

syndromet

Quote from: JHS on July 05, 2007, 05:37:11 AM
Forget the RDT1, stock it sounds terrible and it's noisy. I 've posted some mods for the RDT in the German forum, some of the improvements had been copied by the inventor of the RDT (he also has a website with more infos about it).

I 'll stuck with my improved RDT designs, some guys from the forum have built them mailed me that they sound way better than the original RDT (which is very raspy at higher gain settings). One design is a MM RD50 OD knock off the other was inspired by the Reussenzehn "Danied D" tubebooster.

JHS

Sounds cool! Any chance you'll share the schematic with us?

g.g.

Quote from: syndromet on July 04, 2007, 04:44:35 PM
I have recived the parts, but haven't had the time to build it yet. Probably won't have the time in the nearest future either, since I'm having a baby in matter of days (hopefully). Anyway, the kit looks great, and all high quality parts. I'll let you know if I find the time to put this together an evening. The guys at the musikding forum says it sounds superb, at least.

Here is mine:

(edit: imageshack links removed here due to hijack ......)

Sounded great for a few seconds, blew up an elco, so i have to replace that one in the near future.

syndromet

Hu, g.g., that looks fantastic. How did you get the tube to light up with that blue colour?

g.g.

Quote from: syndromet on July 06, 2007, 01:21:35 AM
Hu, g.g., that looks fantastic. How did you get the tube to light up with that blue colour?

I removed the center contact wich is not used. It holds the two halfs together, so i superglued the two halfs together. In that hole i placed a superbright blue 3mm led and hooked it up to the switch. Overdrive on = blue led on.

Renegadrian

Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!