Skyripper switching question

Started by GREEN FUZ, April 16, 2007, 12:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GREEN FUZ

Right..I`ve started populating a skyripper pcb but I`m thinking ahead to the switching. As I plan to cram everything into a fairly small enclosure I thought I might use push/pull pots to maximise space. Namely, the Level, pregain, and tone pots, as they fall into the values available. This way I can hopefully lose the spst switches. The problem is these pots only seem to be available as dpdt. Is it possible/practical to wire them as spst or are there any other reasons why this might not be a good idea?

John Lyons

For the Ripper pot you want a switched pot that turns off when it's turned fully counter clockwise.
The buffer switch is nice as a stomp switch to kick in for a bit more gain and harmonics. 

The Rip bias and Boost switch I guess would be ok with a p/p pot though I suppose.
I guess I just like the individual switches because I can visually see them and know where they are set.

One thing to note with the skyripper. It has a serious learning curve. You will spend a lot of time getting t know how it works and which settings do what.

Which version are you doing? The one with the range and fuzz together or the one with a separate range and fuzz bypass footswitches.
For live where you need to switch between clean and distortion sounds I'd go with the 2007 version with only one bypass.

One last thing. The .0047 cap at the inout of the range section sounds nice as .01. The .0047 is nice to goose up a dark amp but the .01 sound good for a clean blackface fender type amp. I found the .0047 too bright for my tastes. You casn always add a switch and toggle between the two... argh! more switches!

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

GREEN FUZ

Thanks for the response.
QuoteFor the Ripper pot you want a switched pot that turns off when it's turned fully counter clockwise.
The buffer switch is nice as a stomp switch to kick in for a bit more gain and harmonics. 
This relates to another question I was going to ask. What`s this type of pot called?
QuoteOne thing to note with the skyripper. It has a serious learning curve. You will spend a lot of time getting t know how it works and which settings do what.
Woohoo!!! I can`t wait.
QuoteWhich version are you doing? The one with the range and fuzz together or the one with a separate range and fuzz bypass footswitches.
For live where you need to switch between clean and distortion sounds I'd go with the 2007 version with only one bypass.
Initially I considered doing the seperate bypass version for the extra functionality/choice but in light of your comment about playing live I might have to reconsider.Hmmmm??!??!!
QuoteOne last thing. The .0047 cap at the inout of the range section sounds nice as .01. The .0047 is nice to goose up a dark amp but the .01 sound good for a clean blackface fender type amp. I found the .0047 too bright for my tastes. You casn always add a switch and toggle between the two... argh! more switches!
Something else to take into consideration.
As you didn`t answer in the negative I`m assuming it is possible to wire a dpdt so it functions as an spst? I need to do more homework. Thanks again.

John Lyons

Yes, Wiring a DPDT as SPST is no problem. You just use a ceter lug and one of the outside lugs. So depending on where the knob is pushed in or pulled out the connection is made or broken. Depends on how you want it to be.

The pot with a switch is just called a "switched pot". The two types are "push pull" and "Switched pot", one works by pulling or pushing in the knob and the other works by turning it off until it clicks (which opens the contacts and turns off whatever you have connected to the switch)

If you want a separate rangemaster and a separate fuzz You want the original version. If you want to bybass the fuzz and rangemaster at once you want the 2007 version. The 2007 version is simpler because it omits a switch.

What amp do you plan on running this with? (mostly that is)

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Tuemmueh

I'm also thinking about building a skyripper or a "skyripper inspired fuzz" ;) And thought about leaving the ripper-pot as a normal pot but add an extra (stomp-?)switch so I don't have to worry about where-was-the-f*cking-pot-set and can play a normal fuzz and add some crazy stuff just by stomping on a switch.

Does that make sense or am I getting the function of the switching pot wrong, maybe? Don't think so, but ...

tungngruv

Almost everything can be switched on or off with a footswitch.

John Lyons

There you go. I though you'd show up sooner or later Tony! DIg that flying saucer look.

Tuemmueh
That's not a bad idea. The ripper pot in my findings has to be used with the volume control on the guotar to balance the amount and feel of the oscillation. The Range and tone pot play into this as well. You might want to plan for it as far as space but build it with out it at first so you can see how you like the effect of the ripper pot. As mentioned in Joe'r original text. The skyripper highly interactive. Ech pot does something and they play off each other. The tone isn't really a tone control so much as an input cap blend for the Fuzz section BTW.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

NoFi

By the way tungngruv, do you still hace that skyripper video you posted a while back ?
(here : http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=50127.0 )
The link does not seem to work.
Thanks. :)

tungngruv

The clip got lost somewhere? I use my server to post things occasionally and sometimes moving stuff around.... you know, it get's deleted. All the sounds are in this forums layout gallery though, under the mp3 folder (page 10 last time I looked). I'll see if the video is still on my hard drive (but wasn't it just a video of a pedal)? Here are the sounds you are referring to:

http://www.tungngruv.com/Tracks/30-Various%20_%2026Helicopter.mp3

http://www.tungngruv.com/Tracks/29-Various%20_%2026DJRecordScratch.mp3

More sounds on my site of this pedal also:

www.tungngruv.com

as well as here:

www.mrdwab.com/john/soundclipspage.html

and here:

http://sounds.ampage.org/

(Joe himself playing on the ampage site)

Tuemmueh

Quote from: Basicaudio on April 16, 2007, 09:50:26 PM
Tuemmueh
That's not a bad idea. The ripper pot in my findings has to be used with the volume control on the guotar to balance the amount and feel of the oscillation.

Good to know! I just tried to understand the skyripper and I think I got the basic things. So I combined it with a standard FuzzFace/Axis Fuzz Face and added a pot between V+ and the circuit. I like my Fuzz Factory ... ;)
Also, I added the Bias-Control of the Nitroburner Fuzz by Joe Gagan and the "Variable input cap control" of the Easy Face (JG once again). I also looked at Tim Escobedos Punch-in-the-face-circuit and added a "trauma"-pot.

BUT: It's only a schematic, yet. I don't have the time to realize it, in the moment. Maybe in a few weeks ... But I'm heaviley interested in how it might work.
The aim is to have a versatile fuzz that can sound a) nice, warm and fuzzy and b) as nasty as possbile with crazy whining, octaving and stuff. The idea was born when I saw Red Witchs "Fuzz God". I love the idea to switch between a&b with only a stomp ....

GREEN FUZ

I like tungngruvs take, with all the switching options, though for me in a live situation they would be a recipe for disaster. For now I`m going to keep it simple. I`ll try the 07 version and if it works out I can always build another. For me, the appeal of the pedal is the interactivity and the sonic potential this brings. From what I can work out this wont be compromised by having less switches.
As for the amp, I`m using a pod at home, so I have a variety of virtual emulations to choose from.