I want to do some new projects...Recommend some pedals!

Started by DanielWong, April 17, 2007, 08:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanielWong

I want to box a few circuits together....name some good modulation clones with schematics (y'know, like flanger, phaser and chorus) gunna make something "Modulation Lab-esque"

sfx1999

Vibrato:
Neovibe
Easyvibe
Boss VB-2

Phaser:
EH Small Stone
MXR Phase 90
MXR Phase 45

Chorus:
Boss CE-2
EH Small Clone
Zombie Chorus

Tremolo:
EH Pulsar
Tremulus Lune
EA Tremolo

Flanger:
A/DA Flanger

Other:
Boss Slow Gear
Ugly Face

Pushtone

I was thinking of doing a modulation multi-effect too.

My lineup would be:

Phaseur Fleur - Commonsound
CE2- Tonepad
ShEcho delay - GGG

I want it up on the amp with a remote footswitch box, so I can tweak easy.
I put it off until after I master R.G.'s CMOS switching concepts.
If interested in remote switching check out The Tone Gods Wicked Switches artical.
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

Aharon

I like modulation too,I have built a Neovibe,EasyVibe,MXR45,301 Flanger,Small Clone,PT80 and I'm in the process of a Mistress.
Can't go wrong with modulation and echo. ;D ;D
Aharon
Aharon

sfr

I'd just mention that pretty much any chorus/flange can be made vibrato, so less need to build up another circuit if one of these resides in there already.  (Although I understand the VB-2 may have some interesting tricks up it's sleeve)

Something I'd really like to do is box up a couple of really off-the-hook LFOs, (like some of the crazy options for the Trem Lune) and maybe some envelope followers, and then make some modulation pedals w/o LFOs and to allow patching the various control signals into them.  I mean, synth guys do this sort stuff, why don't we?  Heck, why stop at traditional modulation pedals? I've been having so much fun with my three-LFO trem lune - imagine if that LFO controlled the blend or tone on a Scrambler!

Also check out R.G.s articles on semi-random LFOs, and the Tonegods articles on step-sequencing.  I think the thing is, with a lot of modulation pedals, (particularly BBD-based chorus/flange) once you pick a chip, they all pretty much sound the same on their own - some differences in filtering and noise reduction, but I usually feel like a chorus is a chorus is a chorus - and that the modulation aspect of it - how you move that shifted signal in relation to the original is hwhat gives it it's unique sound - at least, that's my feeling.  Being able to pick different waveforms, and shape the LFO in different ways, maybe tie to to an envelope follower instead, or having a manual knob, or an expression pedal input, or things like that are what make it interesting and unique sounding to me.

I'd think about putting a mixer as well as separate inputs right in there - some of my favorite modulation type sounds come from putting different modulation effects on the wet and dry outs of a digital dealy.

That said, I'm a huge fan of the stock Small Clone (although there's some nice mods at Moosapotamus!) and the A/DA Flange.  I'm not a huge phaser fan myself, but I love a little Phase 45 now and then.

As an aside

Pushtone - keep us posted on your luck with the CMOS switching (Particularly layouts!) I tackled that one a while back with little luck - mostly through my ineptitude, I'm certain.  It got pushed by the wayside because of my more urgent need to have my pedals in one functional enclosure, even if I couldn't get the switching deal worked out, and I haven't ever gotten around to going back and having another go at it.  (Been building amps and guitars rather than pedals since then!)  While I've been meaning to figure out what I was doing wrong and set it straight, I certainly wouldn't mind hearing other folks experiences.  (It is a confirmed working circuit - I just never got it going for me, though, it's kind of embarrassing.)  I picked up 20-30 chips used in those setups (going for the price break, and had grand plans at one point) so if you want a few to play with, PM me - I wouldn't mind sending some off to another interested soul - seems there's not a lot of other interest in that design on this board. 
sent from my orbital space station.

mattpocket

How about the Maestro Ring Mod at GGG?

Some the sound samples are amazing!

Matt
Built: LofoMofo, Dist+, Active AB Box, GGG 4 Channel Mixer, ROG Omega
On the Bench:Random Number Generator, ROG Multi-face, Speak & Spell
--------------------------------------------
My Pop-Punk Band - www.myspace.com/stashpocket

bumblebee

remmelt

Go for the Tone God's Vanishing Point! Haven't built it myself but looks very cool.

I have a Phase 45 and it's really good sounding!

Processaurus

Quote from: sfr on April 18, 2007, 06:24:02 AM
Something I'd really like to do is box up a couple of really off-the-hook LFOs, (like some of the crazy options for the Trem Lune) and maybe some envelope followers, and then make some modulation pedals w/o LFOs and to allow patching the various control signals into them.  I mean, synth guys do this sort stuff, why don't we?  Heck, why stop at traditional modulation pedals? I've been having so much fun with my three-LFO trem lune - imagine if that LFO controlled the blend or tone on a Scrambler!

I've been thinking about something like that too, because a fancy LFO (or LFO's, CV sequencer, envelope follower) can be half the work of a modulation effect, plus it would be interesting to sync the LFOs in multiple effects, like, say, a tremolo and a vibrato.  The trick would be compatability between the LFO/modulation sources and also the routing, I was thinking about a modular synth type of approach being the simplest (and most likely to happen, given the danger of feature creep with complex projects), like have a mini patch bay for distributing the LFOs, and have means of attenuating the LFO on the  each effect's LFO input. 

Might work out better as a desktop thing rather than a stompbox, maybe something like a tabletop version of the Geofex FX rack for ease of servicing the different circuits and changing out effects.

DanielWong

Quote from: sfr on April 18, 2007, 06:24:02 AM
I'd just mention that pretty much any chorus/flange can be made vibrato, so less need to build up another circuit if one of these resides in there already.  (Although I understand the VB-2 may have some interesting tricks up it's sleeve)

Also check out R.G.s articles on semi-random LFOs, and the Tonegods articles on step-sequencing.  I think the thing is, with a lot of modulation pedals, (particularly BBD-based chorus/flange) once you pick a chip, they all pretty much sound the same on their own - some differences in filtering and noise reduction, but I usually feel like a chorus is a chorus is a chorus - and that the modulation aspect of it - how you move that shifted signal in relation to the original is hwhat gives it it's unique sound - at least, that's my feeling.  Being able to pick different waveforms, and shape the LFO in different ways, maybe tie to to an envelope follower instead, or having a manual knob, or an expression pedal input, or things like that are what make it interesting and unique sounding to me.

I'd think about putting a mixer as well as separate inputs right in there - some of my favorite modulation type sounds come from putting different modulation effects on the wet and dry outs of a digital dealy.

That said, I'm a huge fan of the stock Small Clone (although there's some nice mods at Moosapotamus!) and the A/DA Flange.  I'm not a huge phaser fan myself, but I love a little Phase 45 now and then.

As an aside

Pushtone - keep us posted on your luck with the CMOS switching (Particularly layouts!) I tackled that one a while back with little luck - mostly through my ineptitude, I'm certain.  It got pushed by the wayside because of my more urgent need to have my pedals in one functional enclosure, even if I couldn't get the switching deal worked out, and I haven't ever gotten around to going back and having another go at it.  (Been building amps and guitars rather than pedals since then!)  While I've been meaning to figure out what I was doing wrong and set it straight, I certainly wouldn't mind hearing other folks experiences.  (It is a confirmed working circuit - I just never got it going for me, though, it's kind of embarrassing.)  I picked up 20-30 chips used in those setups (going for the price break, and had grand plans at one point) so if you want a few to play with, PM me - I wouldn't mind sending some off to another interested soul - seems there's not a lot of other interest in that design on this board. 

What does LFO mean?

mattpocket

Low frequency Oscilator...

As you will already know, an oscillator can be used to create a tone, like in an electronic keyboard. We can use LFOs to modulate an audio signal, be it from another oscillator or a guitar... and LFO operates below the range of human hearing, so it does not add audible signal to the sound, but creates oscillations that can modulate the existing signal. LFO are normally squarewave, sine wave, sawtooth waveforms etc and all modulate in different ways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_frequency_oscillation

Matt
Built: LofoMofo, Dist+, Active AB Box, GGG 4 Channel Mixer, ROG Omega
On the Bench:Random Number Generator, ROG Multi-face, Speak & Spell
--------------------------------------------
My Pop-Punk Band - www.myspace.com/stashpocket

RaceDriver205

ADA Flanger. (Here)
Small clone Chorus (Tonepad)
Phase 45/90 (Tonepad)
Tremulus Lune (Tonepad)

That'll satisfy you. ;)

oldrocker

The Ultra Flanger is my favorite modulation effect.  It's an all around effect that I have used to get vibrato, phasing, chorus and flanging.  I get no clicking or ticking (Geofex mods) and it gets from jet flang to mild phase sweep.  The most versatile pedal I've built to date. 
As for others the Easyvibe, Rebote 2.5 delay ( gotta have some slapback echo), and a compressor like the Orange Sqeezer,  Flatline or the DOD 280.

sfx1999

Doh! I forgot to mention delays.

Delays:
PT80
AD3208
KIS Analog Delay
Rebote

The modulation pedals I plan to build would probably be these:
PT80 (Digital delay, but sounds VERY analog) clips at -> http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=48&Itemid=80
Neovibe (Univibe with improved power supply) clips at -> http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=136&Itemid=150
Boss Dimension C Chorus -> http://http://www.modezero.com/boss_dimension_c.htm
Boss CE2 -> http://www.mrdwab.com/john/soundclipspage.html
Boss VB2 -> http://www.mrdwab.com/john/soundclipspage.html
Pulsar
Slow Gear -> http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=54614.msg418810#msg418810
MXR Phase 90 -> http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=243
A/DA Flanger