True Vintage Transistors

Started by axeman010, April 18, 2007, 04:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

axeman010

Hi All

I have salvaged an old Sony Tape deck from the 1970s and found it stuffed with some interesting parts! It has lots of transistors marked C1362 and C1364. Having done some research on these it would appear that it was quite common for the manufacturer to leave of 2S from the beginning of transistors, so that these are really 2SC1362........can anybody confirm whether this is true ?

Once again searching the net I could only find limited info on this transistor, this being the most detailed:

Part Number = 2SC1362
Manufacturer Name = Sony Semiconductor
Description = Si NPN Lo-Pwr BJT
V(BR)CEO (V) = 50
V(BR)CBO (V) = 50
I(C) Abs.(A) Collector Current = 200m
Absolute Max. Power Diss. (W) = 250m
I(CBO) Max. (A) = 200n
h(FE) Min. Static Current Gain = 129
@I(C) (A) (Test Condition) = 1.0m
@V(CE) (V) (Test Condition) = 3.0
f(T) Min. (Hz) Transition Freq = 140M
C(obo) (Max) (F) = 4.5p
Status = Discontinued
Package = TO-92
Military = N

Now the questions.....

Does anybody have any direct experience of this transistor or can anybody provide more information on it please?

Looking at the spec it looks like its crying out to be incorporate in to a booster with all vintage parts (also to be salvaged from said tape player).... Does anybody agree / disagree or suggest a better use?

Axeman

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the english way

Dirk_Hendrik

2S ommission confirmed. (almost) Standard for japanese transistors. ;)

I don't see any spec that suggests an all vintage components booster though?  ??? Www.datasheetarchive even gives the suggestion of a BC550, a.k.a. one of the most common European transtors and still widely used.
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

brett

QuoteDoes anybody have any direct experience of this transistor or can anybody provide more information on it please?
I've pulled many similar devices from early tape decks and radios.  Some are a bit "hi-fi" and lack features such as high-frequency roll-off.  This device is like that, as indicated by the high Ft (140 MHz).
QuoteLooking at the spec it looks like its crying out to be incorporate in to a booster with all vintage parts (also to be salvaged from said tape player).... Does anybody agree / disagree or suggest a better use?
That would be good, but for low noise you probably want to use modern metal film resistors.  Also, use modern electro caps, as old ones tend to dry out.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

axeman010

Dirk you have a fair point there about the resistors and the caps.

Come to think of it given the fact that these transistors appear to be nothing special and their only appeal is that they are old it might be a pointless exercise.

My original idea was to breadboard up a booster using only parts from the tape player, tweak it and thereby have some of my own personal 70's mojo, if only due to the fact I new how old the parts were.

Give the cost of new parts for a booster there are probably better of spending my time!

The disillusioned Axeman !
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the english way

Mark Hammer

I have a bunch of similar trannies on an old Sony board as well as from other sources.  I doubt whether they have "special" audio properties, but I will say this for them: they are bigger than standard to-92 size and probably able to take a little more heat successfully.

Dirk_Hendrik

Quote from: axeman010 on April 18, 2007, 09:27:28 AM
Dirk you have a fair point there about the resistors and the caps.

Don't get me wrong ;)

Go Go Go!
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

reverberation66

I'd go for making the booster all out of vintage parts if you have what you need.  I

Cursor

Hmm, I just opened a similar sounding 70's Sony tuner/amp the other night - many transistors identified as you described and loads of useful inter-stage transformers.

Also, a single metal-can transistor near the main board fuse, labelled B324. Did your board have one of these? Anyone know it?

Cursor

No matter re B324 - searched. It is of course a 2SB324 - a Ge PNP :)

Check your board for one!!