Dr. Boogey (GM070403) - Excellent Work Gents!!

Started by mydementia, April 21, 2007, 02:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mydementia

I just finished my GM 4/3/07 Dr. Boogey and have to say it's absolutely awesome.  Thanks to all who made it so great!
For shits and giggles, I did NOT use shielded wire on the I/O - works just fine.  There's a little hum with everything maxed... but it's WAY better than ANY of my other Boog  builds (I think this was my 5th Dr. Boog build).  I might shield the I/O when I box this feller up... we'll see... it's not as bad as my shielded SansAmp GT2...

I used all the values shown in GM's project file (including a 0.1uF cap for C21).  I faked a 2.5k pot (put a 3.3k resistor across a 10k pot) and stuck with the 1MA Gain pot.  I find that any gain setting past 12-o'clock is just excessive - might have to try a 500kA pot...

Here are a couple pix of my build - I thought this would be a good thread for folks to post their GM070403 build reports (since there are so many versions of this circuit around - thougth we should consolidate).  I'm going to box it up and post a couple soundclips for those interested.
Thanks again guys - great circuit!!

joelap

Quote from: mydementia on April 21, 2007, 02:33:48 PMI find that any gain setting past 12-o'clock is just excessive - might have to try a 500kA pot...

Hehehe.... I use mine in my band with the gain MAXED!  Course, the band I'm in is pretty heavy.  But I love this thing.  It's my number one, and I woulda never gotten the chance to experience it if BasicAudio didn't volunteer to get mine up and running properly.  This summer I plan on trying again to build a second.  If you fall of a horse, gotta get back on.  Plus, this thing is one of two integral parts of my setup right now, that if it went down, the entire gig would go to crap for me, and the second is my amp.  Thats how important this thing is to the sound I get in my band!  LOVE IT!
- witty sig -

Victor

Same here. The new board layout is just awesome. Here's mine:

I'm using a 220kA gain pot, to explore more lower gain settings..... and using a switch to toggle between Q1 source caps (1uF/none/22uF - Raw/Vintage/Modern). Also used a 4k7 Q1 source resistor instead of original 1k8. On Vintage mode, I can get some real nice bluesy sounds. The scaled tonestack works just fine, some nice scooped metal tones on this!

I lowered Q2-Q3-Q4 drain resistors to control gain, so their drain voltages at up to 13v or more of a 18V supply. Q1 drain resistor is close to 22k, so the gain pot is more responsive, from beginning to the end.  ;D

My thanks to gaussmarkov, John (Basicaudio), Pushtone, Electriclabs and Bucksears (for starting all this), and many others that participated on this project!

"I don't know if my mom had sex with Ted Nugent, but I feel like his son......" - Zakk Wylde

gaussmarkov

sweet.  :icon_cool:  and great idea for a thread. 

while we are doing a victory lap, props also to Mark Hammer, MartyMart, puretube, R.G. and others for advice in this forum on layout of high gain circuits like this one.  it wouldn't have happened this way without them. :icon_biggrin:

ya gotta love this place. :icon_wink:

Victor

gm,

Is there any chance on doing a new layout for Boogeyman, using those same techniques you've used on Boogey and others? Seems that Boogeyman is another great pedal, I think, also suffering from noises and squeals...... I read some posts about this one and they said that tonestack isn't responsive as it's supposed to be. Maybe it's missing some connections on bass and mid pots, doing that it'll behave like a fender tonestack...

Is it possible?  :icon_smile:

"I don't know if my mom had sex with Ted Nugent, but I feel like his son......" - Zakk Wylde

km-r

how different is that layout from the original dr boogey?
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar.  If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

Pushtone

Quote from: km-r on April 22, 2007, 11:14:50 PM
how different is that layout from the original dr boogey?

Significant difference.

Pics of both Gaussmakov and Bucksears

Read the whole thread for all the details.

Besides the all off-board connection being on the top side there are extra components added as the design evolved with suggestions from the forum. Gaussmarkov's layout has been built at least twice now using unshielded wire with no squealing.
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

km-r

geesh, there should be a boogey gallery soon...!
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar.  If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

mattpocket

What version is this?

Where can I get the file?

Why is it better?

How does it compare to other versions?
Built: LofoMofo, Dist+, Active AB Box, GGG 4 Channel Mixer, ROG Omega
On the Bench:Random Number Generator, ROG Multi-face, Speak & Spell
--------------------------------------------
My Pop-Punk Band - www.myspace.com/stashpocket

puretube

Thank you, Gaussmarkov, for the props...  :icon_redface:

as you correctly noticed, my initial comments on high-gain circuit layouts originated in a different circuit thread,
and were quite general...

when the layout-issue was taken over into the Dr. Boogey theme, I was (luckily) too occupied with other stuff to do,
so my humble contribution had to stop,
which came in handy, coz I didn`t intend to get involved again in possible Dr. B IP-issues...  :icon_smile:

Glad you worked it out together yourselves! 

And I do hope, Chris (= Electrictabs) can be proud about the interest his design stirs!  :icon_wink:

One day, I got to get back into that FET-stuff again (which I abandoned ~25 years ago, coz: "FETs don`t like me"),
and try out some of those "EmuSimulaTube-Toyz" :icon_biggrin:
(I think I`ll have to start with trying to clone my own originally pure tube stuff, then).

gaussmarkov

Quote from: Victor on April 22, 2007, 04:09:11 PM
gm,

Is there any chance on doing a new layout for Boogeyman, using those same techniques you've used on Boogey and others? Seems that Boogeyman is another great pedal, I think, also suffering from noises and squeals...... I read some posts about this one and they said that tonestack isn't responsive as it's supposed to be. Maybe it's missing some connections on bass and mid pots, doing that it'll behave like a fender tonestack...

Is it possible?  :icon_smile:

hi victor,

thanks for asking.  i appreciate the compliment.   :icon_biggrin:  why don't you give that one a shot?  it's a good idea and it's yours
and you have the skills.  i'd be happy to help, and so would many others.

cheers, gm

electrictabs

I can see some great work guys... I like the way that people worked together, although being tousands of miles away from each other;
it somehow gives away the essence of this forum,don't you think

Quote from: puretube on April 23, 2007, 05:06:47 AM

And I do hope, Chris (= Electrictabs) can be proud about the interest his design stirs!  :icon_wink:

He certainly is Ton... :icon_wink:
(...thanks for all the help and guidance)

km-r

hey guys, just built mine with 2N5457 and 2N5458 on the final transistors...
you might wonder why i used those trannies... well damn third-world country doesnt have J201's!!!! damn!

but its pretty gainy even with those replacements...

gaussmarkov

Juan Villar just pointed out to me that there is an error in my Dr. Boogey part list:  capacitor (C13) in the presence control should be 3nF, not 30nF.  i have made corrections on gaussmarkov.net.  apologies to all. :icon_confused:

at the same time, i have added a second layout with more space.  the original was 16 x 24 and the new one is 18 x 26. see http://gaussmarkov.net/index.php?page=layouts#drboo

all the best, gm