News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Thanks DIY.

Started by ChrisPtacek, April 25, 2007, 01:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisPtacek

Hey thanks guys,

The addiction has set in.  I spent from 11:30 until 4:00AM soldering a BYOC VB2 (still has issues, but that's what you get for working that late... I'll figgir it out) and most of a ToneBender from a GGG PCB and SmallBear parts.  More to do there too (didn't finish.)  Then today after rehearsal I TB modded my bassist's Vox wah, swapped the sweep cap for to make it a bass wah, and then did the 2 resistor swaps to boost volume and gain.  I would have paid someone too much money to TB mod a wah for me.  I can't believe how simple some of this crap is to do, and how big of a difference it makes.  I went from "buy booteek" to a BYOC fuzz, to an amp build class with Egnater, to now spending as much time tweaking as I do playing.  That's awesome.  You guys have removed a big chunk of the "fear" involved in DIY gear.  I have a lot to learn, but just wanted to say thanks to the folks who have helped out.  :)

petemoore

The addiction has set in.
  Gotta watch that...remember to recharge the spirit by playing some too.
  I spent from 11:30 until 4:00AM soldering a BYOC VB2 (still has issues, but that's what you get for working that late... I'll figgir it out)
  Cool, you can't win if you let it beat you, good attitude!
and most of a ToneBender from a GGG PCB and SmallBear parts.
  I'm too lazy to figure out what is a VB-2, but the TB is a great one.
  More to do there too (didn't finish.)  Then today after rehearsal I TB modded my bassist's Vox wah, swapped the sweep cap for to make it a bass wah, and then did the 2 resistor swaps to boost volume and gain.  I would have paid someone too much money to TB mod a wah for me.  I can't believe how simple some of this crap is to do, and how big of a difference it makes.  I went from "buy booteek" to a BYOC fuzz, to an amp build class with Egnater, to now spending as much time tweaking as I do playing.  That's awesome.  You guys have removed a big chunk of the "fear" involved in DIY gear.  I have a lot to learn, but just wanted to say thanks to the folks who have helped out.
  Funny how even at 4am, when the coffee isn't working anymore..I still wouldn't want to trade someone to do it for me...I want to know what the circuit isn't teaching me yet, and know the only best way is to train myself to do it.
  BTW, thanks everyone !!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

fikri

Quote from: petemoore on April 25, 2007, 02:15:15 AM
  I spent from 11:30 until 4:00AM soldering a BYOC VB2 (still has issues, but that's what you get for working that late... I'll figgir it out)
  Cool, you can't win if you let it beat you, good attitude!

Great, i even dont allowed my eyes to flicker before the last offboard wiring is done  ;D

runmikeyrun

ha, now you're hooked!  And the problem is, this is addicting as meth, crack, or any other drug  :icon_eek:  I spent a lot of all nighters building things while single and even after being married.  This went on for a year at least.  Then i went to the doctor and here i was bipolar and manic as hell  :icon_biggrin: but the stompboxes definitely contributed to it  :icon_smile: the medication helps but sometimes i'm lying in bed thinking a million things i want to build and the call of the iron is irresistable.

I just spent two hours modding my peavey windsor amp for bass.  Man i love this hobby, it makes normal things abnormal and completely "you".  We may not get compliments when we play shows but i ALWAYS get compliments on my gear.  I too am grateful for the help i've received here in the last 5 years or so.  Everyone gets my thanks, past and present members, suppliers, those who post schematics, sound clips, board layouts, everything.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

jlullo

i seriously spend all day and night thinking about pedals.  i feel like it's all i talk about!  welcome to the most fun, downward spiral of your life!

jonathan

tonefreak

Yo Chris!  Good to see you here my brutha!  You're amassing quite the DIY collection... Egnater Amp Build Clinic and stomp boxes... go on with your bad self!!

ChrisPtacek

Quote from: runmikeyrun on April 25, 2007, 04:54:29 PM
ha, now you're hooked!  And the problem is, this is addicting as meth, crack, or any other drug  :icon_eek:  I spent a lot of all nighters building things while single and even after being married.  This went on for a year at least.  Then i went to the doctor and here i was bipolar and manic as hell  :icon_biggrin: but the stompboxes definitely contributed to it  :icon_smile: the medication helps but sometimes i'm lying in bed thinking a million things i want to build and the call of the iron is irresistable.

Jesus, that sounds like me.  Never thought of myself as potentially bipolar, but I had a month of literally being unable to sleep because I'm laying there thinking about everything that had to be done, and then spending my waking hours too unmotivated to do them.  It has passed... but I bet it'll be back.  Starting a business (NOT a pedal biz... I don't know enough about electronics to sell resistors, let alone DIY products) and trying to push my playing and teaching to the next level... and obsessing about tone and sound, etc. 

So far none of this has bothered my wife too much.  So far.  :)

Thanks Freak!  Best of luck with your pedal line, and remember, the offer is open on borrowing that A/DA Flanger if you need to tweak yours against an original.  I won't be surprised if the new ones sound better than the actual A/DA units.  I just wish some of you guys would start selling them.  :)