fuzz pedal taking am radio

Started by axr, September 16, 2003, 02:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

axr

i have a 4ms duo distorter that sometimes take am radio, how do i fix, the enclosure is metal, and i'm using power supply, thanks.

petemoore

What kind of switch are you using?
 I remember haveing that problem with a Ge FF at the gig...
 do you have continuity [checking with VM or DMM] between ckt ground and the shielded box?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Paul Marossy

Read the DIY FAQ section on this site. It tells you what to do to fix that problem.

RDV

All my Fuzzfaces get a little AM radio when I turn my guitar's volume all the way down down. I actually love it! The band of frequency that I pick up in my particular area is the 2 spanish language stations. GOD, you've got to love the sound of two different spanish guys yelling at the top of their lungs at the same time! ON-DE-LAY!! AAH HAH!!

ROTFALMAOTID :mrgreen:

RDV

jrc4558

I had a completely mindblowing experience when once on a live show we were playing a cover of Chuck Berry, slightly modernised with heavy guitar. Johnny D Good that was. Instead of turning off my fuzz I rolled the volume back in the end of the song. Guess what was on the air of the AM Oldies station? Johnny B Good, my brothers!!! I almost fainted.  Felt like I need to go to church or something for quite a while.

Ammscray

It really depends on where you live...if you live really close to a college radio station or TV towers and such then you won't be able to solve the problem with ferrite beads and whatnot...they won't make any difference...if you live in a "clean" area, you shouldn't have any problems...

We have tons of interference in the US compared to anywhere else, thanks to the wimpy US voltage, and other factors we have to deal with...

Robin Trower once said his strats and fuzz faces were nice and quiet everywhere except America when he was on tour...here he would pick up all sorts of ****...

If you've ever played an old Marshall amp in Europe then you know that not only are they less noisy but they sound better too...being on the right voltage...in America on the 110 or 120V tap we're only using 1/2 half of the power trannsformer, as opposed to using the whole primary winding, at 240V...which is more more "open", and less compressed, with a tighter bottom-end...I operate all my old Marshalls using a step-up transformer at 240V to achieve the original sound...it makes a big difference...

FWIW when bands like Led Zeppelin and the Scorpions would tour in the US they would always use their Marshalls on the 240V tap with a step-up...voltage is something to consider...
"Scram kid, ya botha me!"