Thomas Organ wah, sound clips, notes

Started by mcasey1, April 25, 2007, 05:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

analog kid

Hey there 'midway' ,  You wouldn't be sending me on "SNIPE HUNT" with the ol'  DR. Whipple inductor would you? ???   Just kiddin I"m sure it's real but I thought I knew of every custom wah parts maker out there so I've searched and searched to check out this dr. steam whipple and I can' tget anything!! so what's up?  Is it like a guy in his garage and no stuff on the web at all or what? be great if you had a link if so.  if not PM me with any info on him.
  also new to me are these inductors Steve is carrying now.    a nice aged looking Halo inductor ( most likely from the basic parts kit but oh well if it's done right)  Eleca I believe , and listed as consistent 600mH  for $16 .  cheaper than a Fasel.   Might be worth a look too

See the man with the stage fright, just standing up there to give it all his might..

Geoffrey Teese

If you could send me a picture of the Dunlop inductor then I could most likely get into specifics about it.  I don't want to give info about the wrong part by accident.

As the only Vox certified vintage wah repair station, I've seen hundreds upon hundreds of old Italian and US Vox/Thomas wahs.  Without going into my numerous files for absolute specifics, I can tell you that the "03" inductor designation was an early part numbering system that was used by Vox/JMI and Vox/Thomas.  Thomas revised their numbering system and the same part became the "48" inductor.  There were a few different physical representations of the 03/48, some with 2 solder posts, some with 4 solder posts, as well as other variations.  After the "Folk Explosion" of the late '60's, Thomas was losing their a$$ on all their super-expensive Vox gear.  To help their bottom line, they change inductor vendors to TDK, as those inductors cost only pennies compared to the US inductors they were using.  Thomas had 2 styles of TDK inductors manufactured, the 5103 "cube from hell" and the Fasel look-alike.  The lookalike wouldn't fit in the US wah housing so the cube was used instead.  The lookalike inductors eventually were used by Ibanez in their short-lived Blubber wah (and my short-lived Big Quack).  The values of all the TDK inductors are all over the place as there were different specs at different times.

I have all the technical information and blueprints for the 03/48 inductor and can guarantee you that I am the only person to have actually reproduced the stack of dimes inductor.  I received this information from the former Thomas Organ Company National Service Manager, back in the pre-internet days.  And no, neither my sod inductors nor the blueprints are available for open sale.  Stuart made a "cute little almost lookalike", but it is not 100% accurate, no matter what the web copy might read.  It takes more than the right sized core to make the sod accurate.  And, if you get right down to it, you can look at Stuart's stuff and see where he acquired most of his "knowledge" from.  I sold him an RMC3 drop in board many years ago and the rest is a pain in my a$$ lesson of why I can no longer trust anyone with something as "simple" as a drop in board.

Even though I am FAR from a fan of the 5103 "cube from hell" (why do you think I call it that), I do have to agree with Paul that there are a few EXCELLENT sounding US Thomas Craybaby wahs with the 5103 inductor.  Not that many, but they do exist.  That is why Art Thompson of Guitar Player Magazine prefers the 5103.  He's heard one of the few great ones and wrongly believes that they all sound that good.  As most of you know, you can line up 100 old Thomas/Vox/JMI wahs and not find any 2 that sound alike.  Likewise, what we, as individuals, think sounds good to us is highly subjective.  I've reproduced the one that I liked the best.  Other people have reproduced the ones that they liked the best.  No one is right and no one is wrong.  That is why I have 6 models in my current lineup, and another 3 ready to be added.  I've built what I think is the best sounding wah, but I'm not building for myself anymore.  Instead, I have to look at what you the consumer wants to hear and supply that sound.  Case in point: several years ago, people desired an authentic Italian sound, so I released the appropriate model.  Now, people have gravitated to a kind of US/Italian mutant sound and so I will have the appropriate model out later this year.  Of course, my wahs are RoHS compliant while very few of the other ones are, so it takes a bit more time to get the proper sound without using illegal components.

Paul is also correct in stating that building the proper wah is more than simply grabbing the right inductor and popping it into a board populated according to the old Vox schematic.  I've had 4 different pots manufactured for my particular needs, have custom inductors (now on my 6th manufacturer) made, and even have my own custom transistors manufactured.  It is all about getting the sounds in my head into actual devices.  If the parts don't exist as I need them to then I have to get them made.  I absolutely refuse to use the products of some other wah manufacturer in order to shape the sound of my wahs.  I can't understand why so many people do that.  All they are doing is putting lipstick on a pig.  It is a waste of time and it annoys the pig.  A "boutique" wah with a Dunlop Fasel and Dunlop pot is little better than a Dunlop wah. If "your sound" is built around a "boutique hand-made" pedal with Dunlop's inductor and pot, you'd be better served with a Crybaby Classic and using the leftover money on guitars, amps, strings, picks, and slides. 

I know this thread is mostly about the old inductors, but I want to stretch it into potentiometers for a moment.  In recent history, there have only been 2 100% accurate Icar reproductions.  The first was my original 100K ROC-POT, the second is the Fulltone 100K Full-Range pot.  That is it, period.  My other pots have been a variation of the original Icar, based on a pot that was no longer 100K, as its value had changed over the years.  I refer to it as a "aged-Icar" taper simply to refer to its heritage.  All the other so-called Icar tapered pots are nothing close to the original Icar.  Trust me on this one folks, as I know the heritage of all the pots out there.  I know what came from where and from whom.  Nonetheless, all the other wah buillders, and I do mean ALL, that use these "bogus Icar tapered" pots just believe what they read in the promotional blurbs and regurgitate it on their sites or Ebay ads.  Jeez people, doesn't ANYBODY do their own research anymore???  Have you become so trusting, or complacent, that you blindly accept anything you're told on an ad sheet and believe it, because, in this day and time, who would lie?  I guess that is what bothers me most, next to people reversing my circuits and churning out inferior versions to make a quick buck.  Few people seem willing to do the real leg work to learn something.  Instead, they just jump online, ask a question, and get spoonfed a paint by numbers solution.  I see so many bullxxxx "discoveries" that it is laughable.  Or, it would be if customers didn't give their hard earned money to these people that just learned how to wipe their asses (thanks, Cesar).

I researched wahs for decades.  Yes, it took decades to find all the right people as well as the right parts.  And, unlike any other "small" wah builder, I actually got permission from Brad Plunkett (the inventor), Jimmy Dunlop (you know him), and Vox to do what I do.  Sure, the basic circuit was available to be copied without taking the time to talk with these people, but I believe in doing things the RIGHT WAY, getting authorization to do something if it is not my original circuit.  I'm in the middle of talks now with a major European company to release an authorized reproduction of their former effects line.  Again, I don't actually have to get their permission, but it is the proper way to do business.  If the talks fall apart, then I won't re-release their line as part of the RMC line, plain and simple.

Sorry for the long rant.  I don't post here that often and so I thought I'd cover a lot of bases all at once.

Paul Marossy

QuoteEven though I am FAR from a fan of the 5103 "cube from hell" (why do you think I call it that), I do have to agree with Paul that there are a few EXCELLENT sounding US Thomas Craybaby wahs with the 5103 inductor.  Not that many, but they do exist. 

I must have one of the good sounding ones. It really sings with some of my distortion pedals.

QuoteThat is why Art Thompson of Guitar Player Magazine prefers the 5103.  He's heard one of the few great ones and wrongly believes that they all sound that good.  As most of you know, you can line up 100 old Thomas/Vox/JMI wahs and not find any 2 that sound alike.  Likewise, what we, as individuals, think sounds good to us is highly subjective.  I've reproduced the one that I liked the best.  Other people have reproduced the ones that they liked the best.  No one is right and no one is wrong.

Yeah, they are all over the map!!!!  :icon_eek:

QuotePaul is also correct in stating that building the proper wah is more than simply grabbing the right inductor and popping it into a board populated according to the old Vox schematic.  I've had 4 different pots manufactured for my particular needs, have custom inductors (now on my 6th manufacturer) made, and even have my own custom transistors manufactured.  It is all about getting the sounds in my head into actual devices.  If the parts don't exist as I need them to then I have to get them made.  I absolutely refuse to use the products of some other wah manufacturer in order to shape the sound of my wahs.  I can't understand why so many people do that.  All they are doing is putting lipstick on a pig.  It is a waste of time and it annoys the pig.  A "boutique" wah with a Dunlop Fasel and Dunlop pot is little better than a Dunlop wah. If "your sound" is built around a "boutique hand-made" pedal with Dunlop's inductor and pot, you'd be better served with a Crybaby Classic and using the leftover money on guitars, amps, strings, picks, and slides. 

All good points!!

QuoteI know this thread is mostly about the old inductors, but I want to stretch it into potentiometers for a moment.  In recent history, there have only been 2 100% accurate Icar reproductions.  The first was my original 100K ROC-POT, the second is the Fulltone 100K Full-Range pot.  That is it, period.

I know you're a big believer in the pot/pot taper. Good for you to take that to task!  :icon_cool:

QuoteI researched wahs for decades.  Yes, it took decades to find all the right people as well as the right parts.  And, unlike any other "small" wah builder, I actually got permission from Brad Plunkett (the inventor), Jimmy Dunlop (you know him), and Vox to do what I do.  Sure, the basic circuit was available to be copied without taking the time to talk with these people, but I believe in doing things the RIGHT WAY, getting authorization to do something if it is not my original circuit.

Good for you. Is Brad still around? I know who he is from reading the patent documents.  :icon_wink:

EDIT: Hey, Geoffrey, do you have any inside info on the Maestro Boomerang? They claim to be the first wah on the market and the patent it's filed under doesn't even really look like a wah pedal to me. Not like the Vox wah pedal patent, anyway. I sure would like to be able to get a few of those El-Rad inductors.

jonathan perez

the el rad inductors are toroidal. i know that much...i remember taking one apart a long time ago, and it was a PAIN in the butt to get through all that black epoxy...
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

analog kid

I'll try and get a pic of that inductor to you Geoffrey.
BTW your 'rant' is actually appreciated , at least by me.  I am alway glad for info that sets things traight about any fx,  escpec wahs!

would I be mistaken in thinking that the Dearmond WEEPER used one of the El Rad inductors?  I had one of those given to me to "fix" and seem to recall seeing that stamped on the inductor.  sold it right after because I had so many good sounding wahs but I have always regretted that decision as it was One excellent sounding unit as I recall.  oh well we've all done it and most of us with more valuable units than a Weeper thats for sure but value isn't always the reason for regret is it?
See the man with the stage fright, just standing up there to give it all his might..

pqt_bach

QuoteSorry for the long rant.  I don't post here that often and so I thought I'd cover a lot of bases all at once.

It's OK man. I guess you are far to busy to come here and self-promote by trash-talking the competition to often. Mr. Teese, this is a community of DIY builders, EEs and even some professional pedal builders like yourself. We do not appreciate replies like yours, which are aggressive and offending, under the impression of their being "educational" and I think I speak on the behalf of many others here when I say that we are getting pretty sick of all the builders fighting their battles over our forum.

You are more than welcomed to share your long and respected experience with wah pedals, but not for the cost of advertising your own products and bad mouthing your competitors while we stand here in the middle – not here, please save that to your own website.

I have no intent to hurt you by these words, but this community and what we do here is dear to me, and I can't hold it in anymore.
Yes, please.

Paul Marossy

pgt_bach-

There's maybe only a few other people on the planet who know as much about wah pedals as Geoffrey Teese. He knows what he's talking about. Perhaps he is a little opinionated, but give him a break! And which one of us is not opioniated?!

Don't criticize your neighbour until you have walked a mile in his shoes.  :icon_cool:

Geoffrey Teese

I know perfectly well who the audience is for this site.  You don't need to try and show some kind of superiority by attempting to educate me on netiquette.  The ONLY builder's name I mentioned was one that was asked about in a prior post.  I knew the answer and so I posted it.  The information of my circuit being copied and the circumstances of how it came to be are simply facts.  With the exception of my original circuit, I did not even mention any product that I build.  There was no product-promotion going on, no pictures of any of my products, and no hypeing of my products.  Just a small look into how things came to be.  I spoke of how people's tastes vary from time to time and gave an example to better illustrate my statement.  Likewise, the information I gave about potentiometers was all fact.  I said nothing about the quality of another product, simply that some products were being misrepresented.  Truth is truth and facts are facts, even if you don't like them.

I have no issues with people modifying their own pedals.  Are you kidding?  That is what this site is all about.  Why on earth would you intimate such a thing unless you are attempting to denigrate me or impune my integrity and put up some kind of smokescreen in order to put a feather in your own cap?  I seriously doubt that most of the people on this forum are the ones who would be interested in using my products.  The people who populate this forum are the ones who are striving to create their own, personal sound.  That is a great thing.  However, I am incredulous at the fact that some merchandising commercial builders wrap their tweaks around over-the-counter specialized components and then try to convince people that their offerings are unique while all the time the heart and soul of their products are commonplace and lend their tonal characteristics to other devices already available on the market.  That is what I was referring to when I made my statement about putting lipstick on a pig.  That is worlds away from the people here who customize their own gear to get their own sounds.  Some enterprising individuals have, indeed, started to go to great lengths to  produce their own specialized components in order to produce the sounds that are in their heads and I believe that is laudable.

I don't post here very often because I usually don't have anything to add to what has already been said.  My first post on this thread was strictly humorous, albeit rather dry humor.  Just something to make people laugh, or at least smile.  Questions were then asked that I firmly believed only I knew the first-hand answers to.  Unless I am banned from this forum, I will continue to answer relevant questions when they have not been answered.  I will continue to set the record straight when I believe the DIY community is being sold a bill of goods.  I believe this site is all about the attaining of knowledge.  If the given information is false or innaccurate, then I believe it is up to someone who knows the facts to deliver the facts so the DIY community can know the truth behind a component rather than being harmed and/or misled with falsehoods.  The DIYer can then continue along their path knowing just a little bit more about something.  I don't see how that could possibly be a bad thing.

Paul, to the very best of my knowledge and personal memory, the Maestro Boomerang was not the first wah-wah pedal.  It was released very early on in the overall scheme of things, but I don't remember it as being first.  So far, I have not been successful in contacting anyone who had anything to do with the creation and manufacturing of the El Rad inductor and so I can't add anything to what has been said.  Brad Plunkett is alive and well, living and travelling on his boat.  He is somewhat a recluse in terms of wah-wah pedals as he did that when he was a young man and then, shortly afterwards, left the Thomas Organ Company altogether.  The wah-wah pedal was just a tiny part of his professional life.

Jackie Treehorn

Thanks for the info, Geoffrey.  I have a question to throw out to you and the group regarding halo inductors.  From looking at the Clyde McCoy gut shots on the internet, it seemed pretty consistent that the large halo inductors were paralleled with 33k resistors and the small halos had 100k.  Can anyone confirm this observation?

I acquired an old Italian Crybaby recently (the one with the logo on top with Clyde McCoy guts) containing the large halo with 33k resistor and it is definitely as vocal as my two other wahs (stack of dimes and TDK Box) with 100k resistors!  I am thinking perhaps the large halo is a bit more vocally naturally.  I'd love to find a modern replacement.

Also, I've read a lot about the ICAR taper, what is the benefit?  The old crybaby had an Ohmite pot from '70 or '71 which I replaced with a NOS AB Type K, I think.  Now I'm wondering if I should get the ICAR, even though the taper on the AB seems pretty good.

I have to say that I like the TDK box better than my yellow fasel.  My TDK box came from a Foxx Down Machine, originally...

jonathan perez

like i said, its all about values, and personal taste, Treehorn.

teese is right in all this, and i dont think its appropriate for anyone to call him out on such rediculous things...maybe if he says something offensive to someone, ill chime in, but i never see any foul play from him...

there are MANY modern replacements for the large hole halo, if you look at what was posted earlier in this thread youll find the names of them.

Jackie Treehorn

pqt_bach

Yes, please.

Geoffrey Teese

Oh man, halo inductors.  Tough question.  I personally know of 7 different halo inductors and have been told of more, but I haven't tested any of them (the ones besides the initial 7) and so I can't say for sure if they are different from the 7 that I know about or not.  There are some broad statements that can be made about the tuning/Q resistors used, but consistancy was not one of Jen's (the original Italian manufacturer) strongpoints.  Times were different back then.  Some of the halo inductors had strong, vocal sounds, and some were pretty weak sounding.  My wah database is in my shop computer (not the laptop I use at home) and I don't want to try and trust my memory on this one.  Memory is the 2nd thing to go and, doggone it, I just can't remember the first.  (My wife probably knows... :D)

There are a number of people making halo sized/styled inductors these days.  I don't have any personal experience with any of them.  Perhaps someone else can post their comparative observations.

There is a site somewhere, I don't recall where, that has charted the old Icar pot as well as several others.  I think it might have been copied into a thread here someplace.  The benefit is all a matter personal taste in sweep action/reaction.  A lot of people seem to prefer the smoothness/consistency of sweep of the Centralab, Clarostat, and AB pots to the abruptness of the Icar taper.  Like other things, those preferences seem to change with the wind.  If you're cool with how your potentiometer reacts then that is fine.  A lot of the real-life tone changing capabilities rest in the skill of the foot action.

Back in the days, Thomas Organ and Foxx partnered to make bulk inductor purchases.  That is why you'll find Thomas Organ Company inductors in a lot of the old Foxx wahs.

It's funny, a few of the old TDK inductors sound really stellar.  I used to pooh-pooh them, right up until a friend brought by his garage sale find that sounded freaking awesome.  I had a nice helping of crow that day...  Even an old dog like me can learn new tricks now and then. :icon_lol:

jonathan perez

ive been looking for that chart for a few days, as well, and i remembered that the last time i saw it, it was on Area51's page. email Dan, maybe he still has the page?

i, personally, like the sound of carlostat pots, AND Icar pots, depending on which circuit its in...for a more "modern" sound, the carlostat does great...but when i need the classic sound, i go straight to the icar...dig it?

great info, Teese!

Paul Marossy

QuotePaul, to the very best of my knowledge and personal memory, the Maestro Boomerang was not the first wah-wah pedal.  It was released very early on in the overall scheme of things, but I don't remember it as being first.  So far, I have not been successful in contacting anyone who had anything to do with the creation and manufacturing of the El Rad inductor and so I can't add anything to what has been said.

Yeah, that's what they claim on their operating instructions, that they had the first wah pedal on the market. Check it out: http://www.diyguitarist.com/PDF_Files/BG-2Manual.pdf

QuoteBrad Plunkett is alive and well, living and travelling on his boat.  He is somewhat a recluse in terms of wah-wah pedals as he did that when he was a young man and then, shortly afterwards, left the Thomas Organ Company altogether.  The wah-wah pedal was just a tiny part of his professional life.

Cool! I hope he's enjoying himself. He's one person who rocked the guitar world!  :icon_surprised:

QuoteIt's funny, a few of the old TDK inductors sound really stellar.

I think of these things as being like a guitar - two of the "exact" same guitar can sound totally different. Subtle differences in the wood density, etc., etc. can all add up to make a great sounding guitar or can detract and make a guitar that sounds like a dud. I think it's that way with the old wah pedals, too. Sometimes all the parts come together to make a fantastic sounding wah pedal and sometimes, well, it leaves you underwhelmed.  :icon_frown:

Fuzzy-Train

Quote from: pqt_bach on April 28, 2007, 05:29:07 AM
QuoteSorry for the long rant.  I don't post here that often and so I thought I'd cover a lot of bases all at once.

It's OK man. I guess you are far to busy to come here and self-promote by trash-talking the competition to often. Mr. Teese, this is a community of DIY builders, EEs and even some professional pedal builders like yourself. We do not appreciate replies like yours, which are aggressive and offending, under the impression of their being "educational" and I think I speak on the behalf of many others here when I say that we are getting pretty sick of all the builders fighting their battles over our forum.

You are more than welcomed to share your long and respected experience with wah pedals, but not for the cost of advertising your own products and bad mouthing your competitors while we stand here in the middle – not here, please save that to your own website.

I have no intent to hurt you by these words, but this community and what we do here is dear to me, and I can't hold it in anymore.

Here's a good rule of thumb: when your bashing someone, only speak for yourself. :icon_wink:

Thanks for the history and info Mr. Teese :icon_biggrin: There's just something about wah's that makes me want to learn more and more about them. I hope you come and chime in more often on wah related threads. Thanks again.
THERE IS NO SIG.

The user formerly known as NoNothing.

Stuff I built!
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w106/Cpt_sergeant/?start=allRandom

analog kid

well , I guess I should feel responsible for the tension , geez.  I apologize for not remembering for positive if it WAS Geoffrey whom had the  '48'/03 inductor reproductions manufactured for his wahs , or "someone else".   I guess I was reminded.   It's pretty simple I guess.  It's obvious that Teese acquired probably more wah information than even any one manufacturer ever had and naturally he knows when he aquired and began using all the precious info.  I don't think he's bashing really.   It's just frustrating when other people obviously seem to believe that somene else was doing something that you should have the credit for doing (or before)    I shouldn't have made uneducated observations. but I did say I didn't remember WHO did it.
QuoteA lot of the real-life tone changing capabilities rest in the skill of the foot action.
Isn't that the truth though!?  doesn't matter much , the taper of the pot if you don't have a wah technique for crap.   though a very quick taper does make it harder to do some things  w/o having to tense you ankle to  move a mico-millimeter though that portion of the sweep.

HEY All this Hubbub,  Anyone have answers for me??  DID THe Weeper use the ElRad?  where's the Whipple Inductor? anyone used the Halo style ind. that Steve has now?   You guys have me thinking too... I think I am going to cut open one of the big bad tdk cubes I've not tossed.  It's like Geoffrey says , I guess most of them I've come in contact with were just not prime specimens so out they came BUT I have played TO wahs that weren't mine with tdk's and thought what the HELL!? nice and vocal , look and no mods all stock.    IMO  I believe the Transistors DO play a reasonable part  especially it seems on bass response along with the 390/470ohm R    And  I believe that the old  5117  Trannies are maybe the best wah Q's  ever!   gotta watch the pinout though.   I 'd LOVE To find old stock of those.  hint hint , anyone?

analogguru

@Geoffrey Teese

My name is also Geoffrey.  I read on your HP that you are licensed, me too - since 1976. My callsign is oe1gda.

How do you feel about a sked on sw for a secret tech-talk coded in cw ?  It´s only a small question about the 1k6 and 360 Ohm resistor in the Wizard Wah. Yes, and why didn´t you use ferrite beads against EMI/RFI ?

It would be a pleasure to my ears to listen cw out of the hands of a capable guitarist.  Would 180 be ok for you ?

73, 55 de
oe1gda aka analogguru

jonathan perez

Quote from: analog kid on April 28, 2007, 04:11:55 PM
HEY All this Hubbub,  Anyone have answers for me??  DID THe Weeper use the ElRad?  where's the Whipple Inductor? anyone used the Halo style ind. that Steve has now?   You guys have me thinking too... I think I am going to cut open one of the big bad tdk cubes I've not tossed.  It's like Geoffrey says , I guess most of them I've come in contact with were just not prime specimens so out they came BUT I have played TO wahs that weren't mine with tdk's and thought what the HELL!? nice and vocal , look and no mods all stock.    IMO  I believe the Transistors DO play a reasonable part  especially it seems on bass response along with the 390/470ohm R    And  I believe that the old  5117  Trannies are maybe the best wah Q's  ever!   gotta watch the pinout though.   I 'd LOVE To find old stock of those.  hint hint , anyone?

no need for finding old transistors anymore, as there are equivalents available now. look for a data sheet, see what the pinout/gain is and match it with current production.

before just "playing by ear, and tearing stuff apart" i REALLY suggest you go out and buy a meter that measures inductance/resistance.

on ebay, search INDUCTOR in musical instruments, and youll see the black whipple listed.

the halo steve sells is at a whopping 600mH, which sounds pretty much like a stock crybaby inductor with more mids. nice sounding, for the money. but not a WONDERFUL upgrade, can you dig it?

also, im interested in your TDK cubes, if youd like to sell them. id rather you DIDNT take them all aprt, and sell me one or two...

oh yeah, im a pleasing fella. dont think im talking down to anyone, with any negative tone. imagine talking to the movie phone guy...thats me.  :D

Geoffrey Teese

Analog Kid - It was not an issue, at least for me.  Don't sweat it.  While I was the first and only person with a proper sod repro, I wasn't the only person who was making an inductor of that size and referring to it in those terms.  It was a simple case of confusion and I wasn't offended by your question at all.  While I  have been doing this for what seems like forever, I don't have any grandiose illusions that I am well known - something of a rumor in my own time at best. ;)

I've only been into 2 Weeper wahs and they had different inductors.  One El Rad and one 18/11 sized unpotted cup core inductor.  Seeing only 2 specimens doesn't make my info any more valid than just about those 2 pieces.  I haven't a clue as to what was the norm.  So far, the El Rad is on top, 2:1. :icon_smile:

The TDK 5103 is totally unmarked inside.  You can get as much info from it by using an LCR meter instead of a Dremel.  It was kind of fun to crack into one (or was that two?), but it turned out to be a waste of time.  Same thing with the TDK Fasel lookalike.

The last stash of 5117 trannies that I knew about was depleted about 12 or 13 years ago.  I picked up about a dozen when I was actively repairing the Vox/Thomas wahs.  To the absolute best of my knowledge, they are all gone now, at least from the original source.  I don't know if someone else bought them up.  I guess we could conceivably see them show up on Ebay at some time in the future, but gasoline might be cheaper.  RoHS laws have had a way of getting NOS parts out into the open.

Analogguru - Sorry, my friend, but I lost literally everything but my music gear in my first divorce in '82.  No car, no furniture, no money, no radio gear.  All gone when I was at work one day.  I was somewhat surprised she didn't sell my music gear, but I had only brought out 2 off-brand guitars and a Bassman when I moved to CA in the '70's.  Everything else was still in storage at my parents' place on the east coast.  657 days of pure hell.  Feel free to email me.