'75 Small Stone 3094/dead stage question

Started by analog kid, April 27, 2007, 05:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gus

I should have read my post better

being a 1975 one

Changing IC 3 sounds good.  I misread the posts above about the LFO cap.

analog kid

No prob on that misread Gus, I thought that sounded funny about that cap.
  anyway for an update, I ended up being on the money with the diagnosis. I got a 3094 from Steve (same brand as most of my 3080's btw which I assume are still being made. I sure wish my supplier for those carried these too! )  decided to direct solder it into the board just for originality sake even though it's a replacment IC. And ALL is well! I am not blown away by it but It really sounds beautiful in the fb mode. gets that real 'vocal' like thing going in the slow sweeps.  Also I really believe that in this early one they didn't even use a proper "C" taper pot!  goes from moderate fast to super duper blazing machine gun speeds all at once in that last little turn! interesting
I guess I've just been spoiled by the many great phasers I've built and have owned.  Specifically my hand built Polyphases as well as my original... the ultimate bad ass phaser maybe aside from the bi-phase.  and the small stone just doesn't get into that same intense phasing territory as the PP or even the Phase 100.    Or maybe I"m just a Opto phaser guy ?

The original IC was pretty much all black on top and the bottom has a marking  JUHK  as well as '5144'.  Nothing anywhere like the House numbering EH4800  that has been mentioned that the old small stones had.    The board is also silk screened with all the components and values which I've not seen on EH stuff before. kind of cool
So I just need to decide on this old jewel rather or not first to proper bypass it and second to do anything about the drop (have to use the seach ) but since the drop is even pretty bad with normal input always connected switching so I can imagine how bad with T.B. , and It seems I've heard it's a pia to remedy in the SS.
OH And BTW,  as I said this one is in great shape and pots date as 22 week 1975 which obviously first year of production. Well also I found something I hadn't noticed before and I am almost convinced it's "factory" . There is a hand engraved "carefully scratched" ... 100 # ... inside the bottom of the enclosure. I can't think of any good reason why someone else would have put a number like this on it and especially in a hidden location.  other than the fact EH might have wanted to do this with the  First so many of production run just to have the occasion marked or the like such as round numbers up to #100 and espc on their flagship fx.
If someone can think  of anything else this would be , or  has heard of other eh pedals having hand factory markings like this let me know.  Who knows maybe I have a kind of piece of eh history here?
Thanks for the help everyone.  I've got another nice piece for my collection
See the man with the stage fright, just standing up there to give it all his might..