Toner transfer problem

Started by vince, April 29, 2007, 12:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vince

Hey guys,

This is my first time etching a PCB with the toner transfer method. I read many tutorials and think I followed the instructions correctly. I set my iron to the maximum temperature setting, and it was flaming hot. I left it initially around 30 seconds on the middle of the board, and then started to move it around. The photo paper used is the Staples one, and it burned almost instantly. Nothing of the toner transfered to the copper board. What I am doing !?!

Here's the result  :-[

I need help!
Thanks
Vincent

Seljer

err, maximum setting?
I haven't worked with anything other than overhead transparencies and press n peel for transfers but with both I've set the iron to the "nylon" setting, far from the maximum temperature

vince

Quote from: Seljer on April 29, 2007, 12:59:16 PM
err, maximum setting?
I haven't worked with anything other than overhead transparencies and press n peel for transfers but with both I've set the iron to the "nylon" setting, far from the maximum temperature

Well I read in different tutorials that the iron had to be set to the maximum setting...

From http://www.fullnet.com/~tomg/gooteepc.htm#1

"I use a regular handheld household electric CLOTHES IRON, set as HOT as it will go, i.e. the MAXIMUM temperature setting (called "Linen", on mine, just above the "Cotton" setting)"

From http://www.instructables.com/id/ENCYW0DICHEP2879AI/

"You need to set your iron to its highest setting, no steam"

mdh

Well, the tutorials are telling you one thing, but your own experience is telling you another. If the paper starts burning immediately, the iron is too hot. Turn the iron down a bit and try again. This isn't an exact science... there's too much variation in irons and paper to be able to give exact procedures.

zjokka

a) forget about Staples, just make sure it has a very glossy side and a very papery side. if it burned immediately, no way you were able to apply enough heat. Get picture paper for inkjet printers (yes!) with a papery rough backside.
b) the larger the surface, the more will have to provide ways for all the air to escape and not  settle under the toner. I always punch holes all over the tonerless areas. the more punching the less ironing because the air will escape faster.

vince

Quote from: mdh on April 29, 2007, 02:55:53 PM
Well, the tutorials are telling you one thing, but your own experience is telling you another. If the paper starts burning immediately, the iron is too hot. Turn the iron down a bit and try again. This isn't an exact science... there's too much variation in irons and paper to be able to give exact procedures.

Alright... I tried different temperature settings. I tried to apply as much pressure as possible, but so far there is always some toner that is removed with the paper.

vince

Quote from: zjokka on April 29, 2007, 03:07:36 PM
b) the larger the surface, the more will have to provide ways for all the air to escape and not  settle under the toner. I always punch holes all over the tonerless areas. the more punching the less ironing because the air will escape faster.

I will try it and let you know if it improve the results  ;)
Thanks
Vincent

vince

Quote from: zjokka on April 29, 2007, 03:24:00 PM
here my personal tutuorial
http://modman.blogdrive.com/archive/30.html

I checked your video. It confirms that I didn't make any big mistake!

I have tried about 5 others times, with different temperature settings and got very poor results most of the time.

When I iron, the paper sticks to the board. But after a few minutes of messing around with the iron, the paper then unsticks...Not sure what the problem is. Could it be the type of toner used?? I went to my local printing store and they used a laser photocopier to do the print outs. They actually came out real good.

vince

a) forget about Staples, just make sure it has a very glossy side and a very papery side. if it burned immediately, no way you were able to apply enough heat. Get picture paper for inkjet printers (yes!) with a papery rough backside.

But how do you know when to stop ironing??

MicFarlow77

Hey Vince,

I had mixed results with toner transfer until I started making sure one of the last steps I did before ironing was to make sure I hit the pcb with some acetone....

Almost degreaser of some sort as long as it doesn't leave any residue may help (If you are not already doing it....)

The cleaner the copper, the better the transfer....

Hope this helps...

Thanks,

Mick

vince

Yes, I clean the board with acetone before the transfer.

I finally got a better result using a very low iron temperature.. around 80 C. The lowest setting on my iron anyways.
I ironed until I could see the traces through the paper, and then ironed some more, with a lot of pressure.
The result was average.. many missing traces. I'm going to redo it again and iron for even longer.
The traces at the edges of the board were especially bad, although I applied a lot of pressure everywhere.

thanks
vince

zjokka

Quote from: vince on April 29, 2007, 04:28:12 PM

But how do you know when to stop ironing??
when all bubbles have dissapeared from the surface. Mind the video is edited it doesn't represent the time spent on ironing or anything.

did you try punching the paper.
you should really try with a smaller sized board first lest you get completely dissapointed.

zj

vince

when all bubbles have dissapeared from the surface. Mind the video is edited it doesn't represent the time spent on ironing or anything.

did you try punching the paper.
you should really try with a smaller sized board first lest you get completely dissapointed.

Well there are no bubbles...
The best result I got was with the lowest temperature setting and a lot of pressure....Gonna do some more tests tomorrow.