Newbie cap purchase question

Started by jswingchun, January 01, 2008, 06:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jswingchun

I am new here, building my first pedal. I have learned a lot reading here. I etched my first board successfully after reading up on it here. Cool stuff.

I am building the b.blender pedal using the layout from gaussmarkov.net.

I have the IC sockets and resistors on the board and I want to order the caps from smallbear.

I have figured out the polarized caps, but I want to make sure I get the right caps for the other ones.

The ones I am not sure about are listed as:
.1uf - gm-caps-film-box
.1uf - gm-caps-film-chicklet

I can't sort out for sure what those are on smallbear.

Also the schematic shows TL072P for the IC and smallbear only lists TL072. I assume these are the same?

I sent smallbear an email but didn't get a reply. Probably holiday related.

Thanks for whatever help you can offer.

mdh

Those names must come from Gaussmarkov's Eagle component library.  They're meant to be descriptive more than anything.  You should be able to use any of the typical polyester film capacitors ("greenies" or "brownies", which are probably what he meant by "chicklet", or box caps such as the AVX and Wima caps that seem to be pretty popular around here).  I generally just use greenies, which are available on Small Bear in the Xicon high voltage poly film line.  Another option is the Panasonic low voltage poly film line that Steve carries.

I'm not familiar with the layout or circuit you're building, but often the main issue with film caps is getting the lead spacing right, or getting ones small enough to physically fit in the available space.  If you go with box caps (I don't think Steve carries those, but I could easily be wrong), you have to be more careful about reading data sheets and making sure the lead spacings are right, because they tend to have shorter and stiffer leads than other film caps (at least, that's been my experience).  I think if I was ordering these caps from Steve, I would go with the Panasonic low voltage line (in this case, low voltage means 50V, which is fine for 9V stompbox use).

Krinor

In my world a 0.1 uF capacitor is a 0.1 uF capacitor no matter what it's made off [hides].
Here's some info that might interest you:

http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/Caps/

Be sure to check out all the other cool stuff of dano's site as well!