The Ginger Muff - Axis Face Ge with Pics

Started by enigmur, April 30, 2007, 01:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

enigmur

I have finally finished this project with help from the guys here on this forum.

I had troubles with the circuit due to using a strange vero layout - find my thread Axis Face Debug.

Anyway, I have made a couple of capacitor mods to ease out some highs, and used germanium transistors and the thing sounds awesome!

Here are some shots I just took (I'm just about to change the input cap)

Enjoy!

Cheers everyone for their help!
Quote from: jlullo on May 02, 2007, 12:37:12 AM
i have to get my hands on some of your germs.  very soon.
Anywhere but here, that would seem odd...

enigmur

After some jamming with this pedal I believe I want to get rid of the pot which controls bias, and put a tone pot in.

I've seen people mention some super easy tone control but forgot what its called  :icon_idea:

Could someone point me to it?

By the way this is my most used pedal now!

Barcode80

you can find the big muff tone control add-on in dragonfly's layout gallery under mods, and do a search for SWTC (stupidly wonderful tone control) for another option. i know the big muff tone stack can just be tacked to the output, but i don't know much about the SWTC, just that everyone seems to like it.

enigmur

Sweet that was the one I was thinking of. But it seems to be 2 pot, I really need a single pot tone control like on Boss kinda pedals.

Is there a way to add one without rebuilding the origional board? Does anyone know a good single knob one?

Barcode80

IIRC, it is two knob working between two caps. you could mod it to a one knob, i think, by putting a treble cap from lug 2 to lug 3 and a bass cap from lug 1 to lug 2. this shunts more of the signal or less through each as you turn. someone else please explain better.  :)

mac

mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

enigmur

I cant remember which ones I used now, pretty sure it was an 2SB173 and a 2SB172, I got them in an old transistor radio for nearly nothing.

Easywider

Der Groovemeister

"What do you mean, dynamics? I'm already playing as loud as i can!"

enigmur

Awesome just what I was after, cheers.

Where do you think I should add a tone control on a FF circuit?

At the input? Before the output and volume? Or in the middle somewhere?

mac

I have a lot of Matsushitas 2sb172, 175 and 176. all from different sources, all highly reliable, and consistent.

amc
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

Barcode80

Quote from: enigmur on May 09, 2007, 08:05:59 PM
Awesome just what I was after, cheers.

Where do you think I should add a tone control on a FF circuit?

At the input? Before the output and volume? Or in the middle somewhere?
try both. i prefer output. input is going to mess with your bias, but give it a shot!

enigmur

I put the single knob tone control in that link posted in my FF last night.

In the output, it cuts way too much volume off - any way around this?

I currently have the control on the input, but it has weird effect on the tone. It works like a Rat Filter knob, anti clockwise is treble, clockwise is bass.

Except there is a massive volume dip between the two extremes. It is loudest set at clockwise at the bass end, I'd rather a constant volume.

Should I try and put the control somewhere in between the two transistors on the circuit?

Should I just try the simple 'Smooth' knob as described on fuzzcentral's axis face?

I tihnk im going to breadboard a Fuzz Face and really perfect it's tone and controls.