Main Menu

Pictures (Guitars)

Started by Rattlehead, May 01, 2007, 03:31:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rousejeremy

Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

italianguy63

I mentioned some time back somewhere that I was working on a guitar... it has been just a biatch.  I think I have been working on it since about Sept..  I am currently rewiring it for the 3rd time.  I made the mistake of asking an "expert" to help me with it-- and it got totally messed up.  It is back on my bench today getting completely redone.  Hopefully, I can finally make it work, I can restring it, and post some pics.  It is a sweet blues guitar that was very low budget, but extremely good sounding.

Have you ever had one of those projects that EVERYTHING has gone wrong twice?  Plus, every part I have tried to order has been out-of-stock causing big delays?

Edit-- got the wiring done.  I think it is finally licked.  It is nice not to have spaghetti hanging out of the F-holes anymore...   >:(

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

italianguy63

OK, after much a-do, and quite a struggle.  It is complete.  (I'll call it complete because I still have an issue with one of the tuner locks)-- will it ever end?!

Anyway-- I went on this quest to build a great blues guitar cheaply.  Success!!

This started as the best bargain ever.  I picked up this mint Epiphone "worn brown" hollow-body at a swap meet for $110!  Edit:  I probably got it so cheaply because the truss rod was not right, and the action was all out of whack.

I added a black Bigsby (B700) trem, black roller bridge, locking tuners, Epi "E" truss rod cover, black switch, black metal Fender knobs, black input jack, black screws. and black tailpiece plugs.

Black Guitar Fetish "Mean 90" PUPs.  Awesome BTW.  

New shielded wire.  CTS 500K-A volume, CTS 500K-B tone, .022uf Orange Drop tone cap, and "Black Beauty" 10 ga. strings....

Woot!

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

italianguy63

John-- I just LOVE the look...  MC

bluebunny

That's one sweet guitar, Mark.  Normally not a fan of Bigsbys, but it really suits that guitar.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

italianguy63

Thanks Marc.  I have an Epi Dot like this (red) with H-buckers.  1st guitar I ever bought.  I wanted one with P-90's and a Bigsby.  When I saw this WB Epi-- the inspiration light came on.

vigilante397

I decided I was finally sick of my guitar (the one in my avatar there) as it is worlds below the rest of my gear. It's a Xaviere XV-510, for those that are familiar with Guitarfetish.com's house brand. It's a fantastic guitar for the money, and they look gorgeous, but they're still Chinese mass-produced knock-offs. I put covers on the pickups, changed out all the hardware, added a neck inlay decal, tried to make it look as classy as possible, but it still doesn't sound or play like I want it to. I have about a dozen lovely pedals (mostly my own builds) that I play with live, and I have a beautiful hand-wired boutique amp that I play through, so I have been getting sick of apologizing for my guitar.

Today, that changed. I have always been a HUGE fan of Les Pauls (thus the Chinese clone) but they have always been out of my budget, especially considering that I like upgrading things (hardware, pickups, etc). But today I found a Gibson USA Les Paul studio body and neck for $350 and I jumped on it. I was also able to snag a pair of Gibson Dirty Fingers humbuckers (my favorites ;D) pretty cheap, and with the addition of some other hardware I should have an amazing guitar that will hopefully be gracing this thread in a week or two. Until then, this is what my guitar looks like:

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

bluebunny

Quote from: vigilante397 on February 09, 2015, 01:05:39 AM
Until then, this is what my guitar looks like

Looks great already, Nathan.  Keep us updated!
  • SUPPORTER

Schizo910

My babies

Nevermind the board ;-)

vigilante397

Quote from: Schizo910 on February 12, 2015, 06:10:29 AM
My babies

Nevermind the board ;-)

You have succeeded in making me jealous.

That silver Gretsch tho  :icon_eek:
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

mikeford

Franken TELE!
Having mad pedal skills, I decided to build an axe to my specs.
The body was from an amature luthier out of Ky.
He was trying his hand at bodys and i picked up this sycamore with walnut top for 90 bucks.
The crack is superficial, hence the frankentele name. The red stripe id padduk,
The hardware is fender stuff from ebay.
The bridge is a ghoto and the tuners locking hipshots.
The neck is a Rio grande Dirty Harry and the bridge is a FatCat p90 from SD.
I had a limdlee fralin in the rear, but twas twangy to the extreeme.
The neck is a mighty Mite, hand selected for me from Anthill music in Fla.
She sings!

bluebunny

Very nice.  :)
  • SUPPORTER

pickdropper

I'll play as I've moved a few guitars out and a few guitars in in the past few months.

1994 Les Paul Junior Special - I passed on one of these about a decade ago and have regretted it ever since.  Well used, but sounds great.

2001 57 Reissue - Got this from a friend.  I've wanted it for a while as it's a great sounding 8lb Goldtop.  I sold my Black Standard because of this.

Partscaster - Got this in trade for some pedals.  It's actually a super cool, sort-of-tele.  It's got a chambered mahogany body with a maple cap.  Nice hardware too; lollar pickups and glendale bridge/saddles and sperzel tuners.  Body is Warmoth and neck is USA custom guitars.

vigilante397

Quote from: pickdropper on February 17, 2015, 01:02:44 AM

I will love Les Pauls until the day I die, but I think an opaque top, even the classic gold top, is unfair because it robs you of the opportunity to see wood like this. All great looking guitars, but I especially love the finish on that tele. Is that birdseye maple on the neck?

Jealous..... :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

pickdropper

Quote from: vigilante397 on February 17, 2015, 09:38:26 AM

I will love Les Pauls until the day I die, but I think an opaque top, even the classic gold top, is unfair because it robs you of the opportunity to see wood like this. All great looking guitars, but I especially love the finish on that tele. Is that birdseye maple on the neck?

Jealous..... :icon_mrgreen:

I tend to like flametop Les Pauls as well, but this one is special to me because of how it sounds and the fact that it is freakishly light.  At sound point, I'll probably get a flame top; hopefully it sounds as good.

The neck on that tele is sort of an odd combo of flame and birdseye.  It's not the most figured neck I've ever seen, but it's still very pretty to me. 

From this angle, you can see the bit of flame.  From the other angle, the birdseye is more obvious.

vigilante397

Quote from: pickdropper on February 17, 2015, 09:42:10 AM
From this angle, you can see the bit of flame.  From the other angle, the birdseye is more obvious.

Whoa. :icon_eek: It's like a completely different neck!
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

Luke51411

Great guitars everyone! I can't wait til I have something worthy of posting on this thread (Is it for any guitar or mainly guitar builds?)

vigilante397

Quote from: Luke51411 on February 17, 2015, 10:16:43 AM
Great guitars everyone! I can't wait til I have something worthy of posting on this thread (Is it for any guitar or mainly guitar builds?)

Any guitar :) If it's a guitar, looks like a guitar, or can be argued to have guitar-like properties, we want to see it ;D
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

Luke51411

Quote from: vigilante397 on February 17, 2015, 10:20:44 AM
Quote from: Luke51411 on February 17, 2015, 10:16:43 AM

Any guitar :) If it's a guitar, looks like a guitar, or can be argued to have guitar-like properties, we want to see it ;D
I'll be posting a few pics later then.  ;D