Main Menu

Pictures (Guitars)

Started by Rattlehead, May 01, 2007, 03:31:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadastronaut

+1, love those inlays..really pop.  8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

G. Hoffman

Philthy

:icon_cool: talk to me about that bridge pick-up thingy

G. Hoffman

Quote from: Philthy on May 17, 2017, 11:15:21 PM
:icon_cool: talk to me about that bridge pick-up thingy

It's a Lollar string through lap steel picture.  It's based on the pickups on old Supro lap steels, but it is also (along with the gold foil neck pickup) the bridge pickup on Ry Cooder's main electric guitar.  It isn't even kind of a copy of the Coodercaster, but it was an influence.  The pickups sound great, but it is a freaking pain in the ass.  With the bridge pickup, the strings need to be quite precisely in the middle of the (rather narrow) space between the top plate and the coils.  And the neck pickup is mounted directly to the top.  Basically, the only way to adjust the pickup height is to change the neck angle.  It sounds great, though.

Gabriel

Philthy

thanks, I learnt something today.
must be tricky to palm mute!

G. Hoffman

Quote from: Philthy on May 18, 2017, 10:56:23 PM
thanks, I learnt something today.
must be tricky to palm mute!

Surprisingly, it's not.  The high E string is a bit tricky, muting the low E causes the corner of the pickup to kind of dig into your hand, and it'll take some practice to be completely facile with it, but really it works pretty well.  Plam behind the pickup, pick in front.  It IS a bit different, but it's not that hard.  And it really isn't a metal guitar, so I'm not going to be doing much low E chuging.  The middle strings are no issue at all, and that's where I'll probably spend most of my time. 

Gabriel

italianguy63

Started a new project today... a custom request.  Will be a little while before it is done though.  MC

I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

vigilante397

I like where it's going already 8)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

italianguy63

Actually, the customer's request is odd to me.. not something I would personally do!  We'll see how it turns out.  But it will be a stripped down Esquire, single pickup Tele.
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

thermionix

italianguy63

Actually "European Linden"

thermionix

So, basically basswood?

italianguy63

Quote from: thermionix on August 04, 2017, 03:01:28 PM
I'm familiar with African Limba.

Basically Linden is Basswood.  Has good tonal qualities for a Tele.  Customer wanted a light guitar, so Linden was a good choice, as well as the "smuggler" hollowed out body.

italianguy63

Getting started... this is going to be a Cadillac Sedan DeVille vs. a Chevy Corvette!

italianguy63

Quote from: italianguy63 on August 04, 2017, 06:25:53 AM
Started a new project today... a custom request.  Will be a little while before it is done though.  MC

Customer wanted a natural finish.. (basically bare wood).  Talked him into an oil finish.  I am using "Tru-Oil" gun stock oil for the 1st time.. Really cool stuff!  On coat 6 of the finish.. about 1/2 way done (with the finish)... looks nice.

stallik

A good while ago, I popped an under saddle piezo into my old Yamaha classical. Output goes straight into the amp and sounds brilliant. Until that is, the wires break. Problem is that the wires are just too long inside, move around and finally give way. Also, I hate the noise of them flapping against the sides so I plan to shorten them.
That's the easy bit but there will always have to be some slack created when the jack is re inserted so I'd like to tape the last bit to the sides. Question is, just how would I do that? My arms are too big to fit through the sound hole and I struggle enough to get that darned nut back on the jack

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

thermionix

QuoteMy arms are too big to fit through the sound hole

Wife?  Kids?

stallik

Wife's arms too big, kids too. Grandchildren maybe. Next time they're round I'll test them. Hadn't thought of that. :icon_redface:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein