Sources of shielded wire

Started by Hambo, May 02, 2007, 06:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hambo

If I'm thinking straight, just any kind of vaguely coaxial type wire will do here? I know, search the forums, but most posts about this seem to take it as a given.

Anyway, If so- some sources of shielded cable I may already have in abundance:

Those CD-soundcard connectors.
Those three colour video wires you get with TV OUT video cards, Ive got tons of those lying around.
Mouse cables? I have cut one up before and theres a thin piece of like foil on the inside?
Regular TV/ZX spectrum/Nintendo ariel Cable, bit thick.. but I have literally miles and miles of that stuff lying around.

does it need to be braided inside or will those types with just straight wire (or foil) outer sheath work?
Will any of these NOT be any good for any reason?

Thanks, and please add any scavengable sources you may know of! :icon_cool:

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Some shielded wire is incredibly microphonic (that is to say, makes enormous noise if you flex it). I cabled up a room using that blue covered telephone type wire (used when you want to bury a phone cable or runit through rough areas in a building). It was hopeless!!
I was able to coil some up, plug the end into an amp, and make a device you could tap on with your foot for a drum sound while you played along!!!

MartyMart

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on May 02, 2007, 10:16:19 PM
I was able to coil some up, plug the end into an amp, and make a device you could tap on with your foot for a drum sound while you played along!!!

You should put some in a nice piece of wood and sell them !!!
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

sfx1999

From what I understand, the foil ones are impossible to solder to.

John Lyons

Foil is best for 100% shielding and they have a drain wire that you can solder to. The foil isn't meant to be soldered to. Pretty much impossiblw since it's actually mylar plastic.

Braided wire is fine though for stompboxes as they have a metal shell for most of the shileding duties.

I have about 200 feet of shoilded cable in the trade page here. I can sell it outright or trade ya!

Just let me know.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Bernardduur

Why not use Coax cables??? They have no very small coax cables
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

Hambo

Well, through experimentation I have found that the video (RCA?? I think theyre called) cables work pretty well. I managed to cut out a lot of squeal I've been having in a dist box I've been playing with. And the CD drive ones are great too. So I'll not be needing to trade you for more just yet Basicaudio :), I've probably got more of that wire from all the crapped out TV video cards I've had over the years to do more pedals than I'll ever make Ha! Its sometimes a good thing, never throwing stuff away.

Yeah, the regular aerial coax is kind of chunky, sometimes theyre skinnyish, but still not very flexible.

R.G.

The best shielded wire for effects work is RG-174 coax cable. It's about 0.1"/2.5mm diameter and doesn't have too much capacitance per length.

My spool of 100 feet has lasted me over 10 years and I still have over half.

Next best is the RCA-phono plug cable sets from cheapo outlets like Target, Wal-Mart, etc. Cut off the ends, strip the wires apart, then use bits and pieces.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.