Testing a clear 5mm LED for its color

Started by Easywider, May 02, 2007, 08:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Easywider

need an easy way to do this without wiring it in .

sfx1999

Easywider

caress

just alligator clip it or even hold it in your fingers to a 9v battery.  make sure the leads are correct and put a 10k resistor from the 9v+

black mariah

And don't put it straight to the 9V. I did that. It goes fizz, glows a dim red, then stinks the whole joint up. :icon_neutral:

jonathan perez

use a dead 9 volt, it works like a charm.
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

96ecss

Quote from: thebattleofmidway on May 02, 2007, 09:25:36 PM
use a dead 9 volt, it works like a charm.

I keep a dead 9V on my bench for just that reason.

Dave

Easywider

Quote from: black mariah on May 02, 2007, 08:49:00 PM
And don't put it straight to the 9V. I did that. It goes fizz, glows a dim red, then stinks the whole joint up. :icon_neutral:
Did that last nite , .....lol.....that smell got stuck in my nose , my dinner even smelt like it , had to throw it out ! LED' s are tested , thanks again to all !

ADR

Use a little 3V lithium coin battery.

e.g.

http://www.batteriesandbutter.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CR2025&Category_Code=li

Put the + and - legs on each side and squeeze w finger tips.

Cheap, safe (for the LED) and easy.

darron

i hook them straight up to the 9 volt battery for a moment :P it takes about a second or so before it does damage i find, and about two for it to burn and stick up the joint!
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

leonhendrix

Quote from: darron on May 03, 2007, 05:42:31 AM
i hook them straight up to the 9 volt battery for a moment :P it takes about a second or so before it does damage i find, and about two for it to burn and stick up the joint!

I've done this with a green led but it lit up orange... so I probably won't do it this way from now on   :-* 

darron

Quote from: leonhendrix on May 03, 2007, 06:38:33 AM
Quote from: darron on May 03, 2007, 05:42:31 AM

I've done this with a green led but it lit up orange... so I probably won't do it this way from now on   :-* 

orange sounds like a normal fire/burning colour. i didn't say that it's a way that i'd recommend :P

i also stick capacitors on my tongue to check if they are charged...
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

jakenold

Quote from: darron on May 03, 2007, 06:43:22 AM
orange sounds like a normal fire/burning colour. i didn't say that it's a way that i'd recommend :P

i also stick capacitors on my tongue to check if they are charged...

You should swing by the doctor sooner than later, buddy!  :D

sfx1999

That's why I said AA, 9V is just to high.

Button batteries should work very nicely like that one guy said. 1.5V or 3V

Gus

Dim lighting or lights off.
  Set your DMM to diode test.
  Connect the leads to the diode + to anode - to cathode.
  Check the voltage drop and look at the glow from the led.
  I seem to remember the diode test current is limited to 1 ma or so.

This also shows how a LED works at low currents.  Lower the LED current the longer the battery works.

nebucanazza

Quote from: caress on May 02, 2007, 08:44:36 PM
just alligator clip it or even hold it in your fingers to a 9v battery.  make sure the leads are correct and put a 10k resistor from the 9v+

I just tried that. I hooked up a battery snap to a 9V, twisted the red lead around a 10K resistor and checked about 20 LEDs in a jiffy by just holding them between resistor and black snap wire. Works like a charm :)