SHO vs SparkleDrive

Started by juniorhifikit, May 04, 2007, 02:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juniorhifikit

Sorry to flog a dead horse, but I couldn't find any direct comparisons.  I really liked my friend's Super Hard-On, but can't afford it right now.  Thought I would build something like it in the meantime.  Anyone have the chance to compare the SHO to any of the available DIY boosters?

Seljer

calculating_infinity

MarkM has suggested his "Modified Mosfet Boost" as getting you close.  I have yet to try it though.  Lots of boosts out here and they are all somewhat easy to build so have at it!  NPN Boost Beginner Project is probably the most underrated booster on the board.  I have an AMZ mosfet booster and love it.  Looking to build ROG's Omega soon.  

-Jonathan

blanik

Quote from: Seljer on May 04, 2007, 02:43:11 PM
AMZ Mosfet Booster

+1
they're very close, inbred brothers...  :icon_wink:

MartyMart

Omega is a little "cracker"  :D
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Gus

SHO and mosfet might look close but IMO they are different I prefer the SHO

spudulike

Check the schematics and apart from the mosfet and the zener they use different techniques.
Build both and compare, parts cost pennies for each one.

markm

Quote from: calculating_infinity on May 04, 2007, 02:45:27 PM
MarkM has suggested his "Modified Mosfet Boost" as getting you close.  I have yet to try it though.  Lots of boosts out here and they are all somewhat easy to build so have at it!  NPN Boost Beginner Project is probably the most underrated booster on the board.  I have an AMZ mosfet booster and love it.  Looking to build ROG's Omega soon.  

-Jonathan

The Modified Mosfet Boost does, IMO, and to my ears get you into the neighborhood of the SHO.

blanik

Quote from: markm on May 04, 2007, 06:31:54 PM
The Modified Mosfet Boost does, IMO, and to my ears get you into the neighborhood of the SHO.

it not in the gallery anymore...?

96ecss

I built a Mosfet Booster and I used to own a SHO and I think they're pretty close. I've never seen a schem for the SHO so I couldn't comment on how close the design is, but I think they sound pretty close.

Dave

juniorhifikit

Thanks all!

Sounds like I'll make a Mosfet Boost and modify from there.  Getting there is half the fun, right?!

If I wanted to do two (not cascading) and switch between them, can I just tie their outputs together or do they need to be buffered from each other?

Alex C

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

In your initial post title, did you mean "Sparkle Boost" instead of "Sparkle Drive?"  The Sparkle Boost is Dragonfly's booster, which seems more suited to the thread topic, while the Sparkle Drive is made by Voodoo Lab, and is a Tube Screamer with a mixable clean boost.

I've heard great things about the AMZ Mosfet boost, as well as Andy's Sparkle Boost, though the latter is supposed to be able to get a bit of light drive as well (from what I hear.)

Good luck with whatever you choose.

-Alex

stopstopsmile

Gus, what tweaks would you make to a sho? just curious.

petemoore

I thought it was pretty cool what came of reading up on GEO's mosfet boosters, then taking a look at 1/2 Gus's Mosfet OD.
  Just grab a pot for the gate bias, stick a big or huge resistor on wiper, some resistors around that [because you want fine tuning]...pick your S/D resistors for what you want, wire it up and workit from there.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.