Tonemender help

Started by fikri, May 05, 2007, 12:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fikri

Hi I have just finished building my tonemender with PCB layout but got serious problem with noise. It does have a good sound, but LOTS of noises at the background. I think it is somekind of a ground noise, and it is increasing as i open up the volume level. I had the same issue when i built it on perf. Is it because of a bad component ? Thanks.

Morocotopo

fikri, my experience building the tonemender was that it requires shielded wire at the input/output, and maybe also to/from the treble pot. That means wire with the shield attached to ground at one end only. Also, when you box it, the noise dissapears. I think it´s a very sensitive circuit to picking up interference because of the chip employed (TLC2272 if I don´t remember wrong). It´s a rail to rail opamp, or something like that, don´t remember exactly, translation: it´s much more sensitive than, say, a TL072, the benefit is that it gives greater headroom.

Hope that helps

Morocotopo
Morocotopo

fikri

ha ! thats what i'm thinking of. If i move arround the treble pot the noise reduced (but still annoying), and so if i touch the input/output ground. I also try to use another OPamp such as OPA2134.

Thanks alot Morocotopo, i will try your suggestions.

fikri

I think i still heard that noise in my tonemender. It does sounds quiet when i close the volume pot, but as i open it up, the noise came up. I dont know, i will check back tomorrow.

Barcode80

sevenisthenumber

Just built one and noticing this noise. there is a lot of noise as i get my hand near the treble pot?? weird...