True Bypass in stereo

Started by Rodgre, May 07, 2007, 01:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodgre

I was just thinking to myself about how one would wire a stereo effect with a true bypass switching system.

Since you're typically dealing with one in and two outs, it seems that you would have to either use all poles on a 3PDT switch and do the LED some other way (Millenium?) or else do it with 4066/4016 style switching ICs.

Does anyone have better solutions for this? Just curious.

Roger

blanik

i did that on my rebote 2.5... 3PDT for the extra channel out and millenium bypass for LED... works great! i had to add a mini swith between the 2 output jacks for when i use the effect on a mono setup (one amp only) to disable the "stereo bypass" wire or i get a loud hum but it's a very minor compromise...

R.

MikeH

Could you have used a switching jack (for the second output) instead of a mini toggle?
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

blanik

Quote from: MikeH on May 07, 2007, 02:30:52 PM
Could you have used a switching jack (for the second output) instead of a mini toggle?

i did but initially when i bypassed the signal (in stereo mode), the delay would slowly die out but the undelayed part was just coming out of one amp and i wanted it in both (dry-L, wet-R during effect ON; and dry-L, dry-R during effect OFF)... like on a DD-3.

the switching jack only allowed to reconnect the pot wiper (wet signal) back in the circuit when no jack was inserted but it didn't solve the "i want my signal in BOTH amps when the effect is bypassed" problem... (otherwise i wouldn't even need a 3PDT with Mill bypass) so i had to put a wire coming from the "jack-in" on the 3PDT extra row and sent it to the stereo jack but when in mono mode (i.e. no jack inserted) the wire would make a "ground" back in the circuit (like putting a wire from jack in to the 33k resisror in the circuit... that will make a loud hum in the effect...) so i took a mini switch, cut it off to 3mm and put it between both output jacks (can't hit it by accident)... that way i can disable the wire when i'm in mono (99% of the time) or lift it and have a full stereo setup (don't do it much nowadays... but i used to be stereo all the time in my former band...)

or i can leave the switch off in stereo (when recording in a studio) and use another amp for the delayed signal only... the cool side of that is that when you cut the effect it'll trail off naturaly on the track and since you have another amp just for the delay (meaning a studio track just for the wet signal) you have a lot more control for the mix...
that way you make a compromise with the soundguy who's trying to coherse you into not using your delay on the track and putting HIS delay in the mix...  you know, HIS delay that's so a-m-a-z-i-n-g and that you will be a-m-a-z-e-d when you hear it and he paid 6000$ for it and in NOOO WAYYY you little crapo delay can sound as good and that way he'll have control over how good your mix will be... you wouldn't want to scrap the whole record just because you insisted to use your crappy delay wouldn't you?  :icon_rolleyes:

sorry, i had to vent old frustrations... i need Dr Phil...  ;D

R.
hope this explanation was clear...  :icon_confused: lol