My "shot" at a Modified Schaller Tremolo

Started by markm, May 09, 2007, 07:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markm

Hi ya guys,
Here's something I've been working on this week or so.
It is inspired by the Fender Trem thread here on the board.
I have always enjoyed the sound clips of the "Swamp Thang" and with the advice of nordine, and the Schaller schem from zero
seen here>>>>>>

I went ahead and tried modifying this circuit to make it smooth out a bit and not be as choppy + allow the user more control over the depth of the trem.
This layout is verified and sounds pretty damn good!
I like it and if you're a Tremolo fan, you may too!
The depth can go from subtle to very deep with this circuit + the speed control is quite useable along with a toggle that will double the speed ala the Tremadillo.
Please give a look and lend an opinion if you'd like.
I will try and come up with my own schem but, I am experiencing growing pains with some of the software I'm using.
Look out once I get this schematic software down....... ;D
Here is the Layout.
Nothing fancy but it sounds great!

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album76/Hearthrob_Tremolo_LAYOUT

Thanks!

96ecss

Once again Mark, great job. I think I'll be building this one.

Dave

widdly

I was looking at this tremolo circuit yesterday.  Nice and simple.   Looking forward to seeing your schematic.  I guess I can work out what parts you changed based on your layout.  Shouldn't be too hard to build on perf board.

Any recordings?

oldrocker

Yes indeed,  that does look interesting.  I've been wanting another tremolo and I was considering a Lune or EA but I think this might be the one.  The only trems I've built are the Pulsar and Kay.  Nice work Mark.

Auke Haarsma

looks nice and thanks for posting/sharing!

I've build the EA trem and there's two things I don't like about it: the input distorts too soon and the trem isn't very strong. It's a very subtle effect. Could you comment on how this trem performs? Does it stay clean when stumming the guitar hard? And does the improved control allow for a very noticable trem sound?

thnx!

MartyMart

Looks good mark, I did have a schaller but sold it on, it was a remarkably good trem, even
"stock"
I know it's all "personal taste" but I LOVE my Tremulous lune to bits !
MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Bagge

Looks good, Mark. I just planned to do EA tremolo, but I think I'll give this a shot. I do have a few questions. Is it unity gain? Do you think I would be able to substitute trannies with BC149?

markm

Thank you for the support and kind words Gents.
I do not have any recordings but, the goal was to try and acheive a smoother sound from this circuit and retain some of the unique characteristics of the circuit.
I would describe it in simpler terms as sounding like a deeper EA for the most part.
As far as distortion on the input, I really don't know as I have only tested it with a Tele and 'Buckers may perform differently.
Unity Gain?
I have no idea about that yet as It has only been tested directly wired without a stomp switch however, I think it's very close by the sound of things.

Quote from: Bagge on May 10, 2007, 05:37:35 AM
Do you think I would be able to substitute trannies with BC149?

I can't say.....I used 5088's because I did not have the trannies specified in the schem AND because I live by "Keen's Rule" !  :icon_lol:

Quote from: MartyMart on May 10, 2007, 04:46:02 AM
Looks good mark, I did have a schaller but sold it on, it was a remarkably good trem, even
"stock"
I know it's all "personal taste" but I LOVE my Tremulous lune to bits !
MM

Thank you Marty!!
The Lune has too many knobs for a simple guy like me......it's like dealing with a Woman!  :icon_lol:

Auke Haarsma

thnx for your response!

Maybe I've been under a stone too long, but what's Keen's rule? (R.G's?)

David

So, Mark, is this a straight trem, or does it do the "sort of trem, sort of phase" swirly kind of thing that the Fender trem thread talked about?

MartyMart

Quote from: ponq on May 10, 2007, 07:34:43 AM
thnx for your response!

Maybe I've been under a stone too long, but what's Keen's rule? (R.G's?)

For a general NPN Si transistor that will work 99% of the time use a 2N5088  :D
( or something v close to that ! )
In the UK the same thing applies to a BC549 BTW  :icon_wink: ( easier to get hold of )
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

markm

Quote from: David on May 10, 2007, 08:11:11 AM
So, Mark, is this a straight trem, or does it do the "sort of trem, sort of phase" swirly kind of thing that the Fender trem thread talked about?

No, sorry but, no phasing.
I'd be a "Legend" if it did that huh?!  :D

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

markm

Thank you John!
This is a nice sounding alternate to the EA.  :)

markm

Quote from: audioguy on May 11, 2007, 09:07:59 AM
Looks good...

Thanks audioguy!
If anyone else builds this rascal, please post your thoughts.
Thanks.

widdly

I built this one and have a few problems with the LFO.  It works for higher speeds ok and sounds great but as I lower the speed pot it stops oscillating.  Disconnecting the power briefly makes it oscillate again but it dies out quickly.  If I switch to the low speed setting it oscillates once then dies out.

I used BC549 transistors through out.

Any ideas?