Custom aluminum enclosures from a forum member Pics and review inside

Started by John Lyons, May 10, 2007, 09:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Lyons

Mick Farlow a forum member here has beeen making some nice looking boxes and selling them in the for sale/trade section here on the forum.
He made me a couple and I thought I'd share some pics and a review of them.
The boxes are solid and well made. The finish will accept paint very nicely because it's roughed up well.
I really dig the curves of these enclosures.

There are a few different options and sizes as well.
Sloped top with recessed knobs, sloped top, no recess etc. .
The seams are welded, braised then ground smooth. 

I reall like these as a more stylish alternative to the hammond style boxes.

I had an amp chassis made as well. Nice and square. Not to mention solid.

Here are a couple of the large slope top boxes.

There are some more pic on the trade/for sale page

Thanks for making these mick!!

John
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

96ecss

Hi,

I like the boxes but I can't find them in the For Sale/Trade section.  :icon_redface:

Can you provide a link?

Thanks,

Dave

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

calculating_infinity

That's really nice work by Mick Farlow.  Very professional!  Worth the price definately!  I'm really digging the large sloped enclosure. 

96ecss

Thanks for the link. They look really cool. The part about the ADA Flanger threw me off.

Dave

petemoore

Very impressive looking Boxes !
  The small one is super cute, The features of the shape, including the decreasing radius curves give it a real 'touched' look...like something a human would come up with using a bar of soap and shaping tools, eye catching, very nice !

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

dschwartz

Yeah!!! really beautiful!!!! gorgeous!!!!

Here in Chile (at the end of the world) we (the diy community) are having some big troubles with the enclosure issue. Hammond type boxes are unavailable and had to be purchased from smallbear, fx-connection or RS electronics, so, its not cheap or fast to get a box. The only post service we can afford is USPS and ussually takes 2 to 3 weeks to arrive. The shipping costs almost doubles the price of each box, and when arrives you treat them as fuel on the Mad Max movies (everyone wants it sooo bad).

I tried to organize our community (www.plexilandia.cl/foro) to make boxes as shown in this post, but aluminum is very expensive here and the tools looks dangerous...So we end up using anything as boxes (coffee cans, electric boxes, etc) but the results are sloppy and not proffessional as we want.

Well i´m only whining  about this.....so if someone from HAMMOND industries read this..Please, sell your boxes at a store here in chile.. pleaaaseeeeeee!!!!!

----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

Barcode80

a large portion of the forum here don't have hammonds in the store either, we all order from suppliers, too.

remmelt

Nice post, but what happened to the pics? Did you set your camera to the psychedelic setting again?

;)

darron

i have to say, they are fantastically constructed! top quality stuff. I'm not going to be afraid to stomp on this. they are a good roomy size to work with also, even the small ones. the seems are very fine, better than the picture shows. this is the small one:

Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

John Lyons

Yeah, I got a little carried away with photoshop. Usually doesn't happen but....
Now that I look at them again it's a little much. Oh well..

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

MicFarlow77

John, Thanks a ton for the post, I really appreciate it!

Thanks all for the nice comments. I really enjoy doing these enclusures. it provides nice break from the day job.

I have started another batch of the large recessed versions and will be starting more small ones soon.... It seems that I have been getting more requests for recessed versions rather than non-recessed, so I have been doing recessed only....

Again, Thanks John for your support and for all the kind comments.

Mick

John Lyons

Mick
Was there a medium sized box as well?
The small ones are totally cute and the large ones are well...good for large builds.
Something with the size around 4" wide and 5" ish long would be cool. I just forget if that was already n the works...

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

MicFarlow77

Hey John,

Yup, there is a medium one in the works.... I was going to do that after the initial large and small ones... just before the recessed version idea hit.....

So, I have a batch of large to finish and another batch of small to do, then I hope to be able to get a medium one prototyped up.....

Thanks,

Mick

PS. The 4 wide x 5 long sounds like a good starting point.......

markm

Mick,
I sent a PM to you regarding these......
Got a couple questions for ya!

MicFarlow77

Hey Mark,

When did you send that PM... I have not gotten it yet.... I will look thru my PM's again to make sure....

Thanks,

Mick