Tonestack woes...

Started by GibsonGM, May 12, 2007, 11:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GibsonGM

Hi,

I put together a TS-9, modded to 808 specs.  Did the 2.2K & .1uF cap trick off the diode leg to increase gain & bass, and now have .1 uF to ground at the 1st opamp output for brightness.  My tonestack is doing funny things (worked fine on breadboard!).  Tried a 50K pot until my parts order arrives...no change in tone from 20% to 80% rotation, then horrid distortion jumps in on either end.  I thought the pot was junk, so I subbed in a good 10K...same results.  I've been over the thing (it's only 2 .1 uf caps in parallel and a 220 ohm to ground!), no shorts or omissions.  So, does anyone have any clue what might be going on here??  Maybe has to do with the mods? Doesn't sound it....maybe guru Marty knows??
Thanks in advance,

Mike
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

QSQCaito

That's the problem of the TS tone control. It has a cheap tone stack. If you change it, it won't be exactly a TS any more. It doesn't work in around half or more of its rotation, and all of sudden you get change.

I think there's a bit of explaining in geofex, the technology of the ts

byebye

DAC
D.A.C

GibsonGM

Thanks, Q...I checked further, and of course it was a very small, submicroscopic short  :icon_redface:
Works fine now (limited tho it is!).  Goes to show, you can build 20 of these things and still do that!
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...