Small Stone not Phasing

Started by Jamforthelamb, May 13, 2007, 05:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamforthelamb

Hey Everyone,
Recently purchased a Small Stone off of ebay, and it's not phasing the sound. The guitar's sound passes through the circuit to the output in bypass, and un-bypassed, and when the effect is on if I flip the "Color" switch I can hear a slight change in the sound. I've probed a little with an audio probe and found that the LFO is functioning, and the rate knob changes it's speed like it's supposed to. This is an older one with the "issue J" board. It has 5 ICs all marked "EH 1048", and 4 transistors (3 are BC309, 1 is BC239).

I know there are threads on this pedal, and I've been doing some searching (I'm going to check the wiring, and reflow the solder), but I was hoping that someone might be able to point me in the right direction to start with.

Thanks!
JFTL

Seljer

I think it'd be the 5 ICs
those operational transconductance amplifiers have a habit of dying when too much current goes into pin #5
and continuing that, finding the reason why too much current may have going into them in the first place

A.S.P.

when the LFO works, the 5th IC is OK.
Analogue Signal Processing

Jamforthelamb

So the place to start is checking the voltages going to the ICs, and go from there, or should I probe around the IC to see which one isn't working ?

goosonique

Yup the Ic kinda goes bad on the older units that i have seen.
The best is to de-solder and check !
Before probing the IC's check for broken wire connections, bad caps ...older EH are notorious for that too.

You will get it  ;)

<((one man with courage makes a majority))>

Jamforthelamb

So, should I pull the IC's, put in sockets, and try new ones ? Is there a way for me to test the ones I have ? Also, what is the replacement for these ?

Thanks!
JFTL

Jamforthelamb

Man, did I get lucky.
Last night I had re-flowed some of the solder, but never re-tested the pedal. I brought it in with me to work to tinker with in my spare time. I have my computer running sound through it, and now I have phasing! I'm still going to change the eletrolytics, and re-flow some more of the board. Mods down the road will be TBing it, adding the Univibe caps with switch, and the Phasefilter switches ala Mark Hammer/Moosapotamus.

By the way I figured out that the chips are CA3094's...although it looks like I won't need to spend the 5.00 a pop on them now =)

Thanks!!!!
JFTL

A.S.P.

Analogue Signal Processing