Trotskydrive Build Report

Started by cheeb, May 14, 2007, 09:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cheeb

Sup d00ds. Just finished the Trotskydrive from the BAR layout.

Pretty much fired right up after some minor debugging issues were worked out with the help from several members here. (Thanks guys! You know who you are)

I substituted a 2N3904 for the Soviet transistor and put in the bright switch.

It definitely has a character all its own, ranging from mild fuzzy boost to...um...I guess you'd call it a "serrated edge smooth fuzzy overdrive". It really changes its whole flavor from amp to amp so be sure you test it on several. It's much more fuzzy and solid state sounding on smaller SS amps, bigger sounding on larger SS amps, and more overdriven and natural on tube amps, IMHO.

I love it.

I'll post some soundclips when I get some, as long as it's okay with the designer.

More info on the circuit can be found here at Beavis Audio Research
http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/TrotskyDrive/index.htm
and in this thread.
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=54970.0

Pikchaaaaas!

I know the guts look incredibly sloppy. They were much much cleaner before they got ripped apart for debugging.

All in all, great build. Everyone should do it.

newbie builder

I've also suffered from many builds that looked great to begin with, but I often mis-wire pots and have them work in the reverse of how i'd like them to...by the time I've switched the lugs that the outer wires are attached too, I've usually got something resembling a rats nest in there due to all the moving around of other stuff required for me to reach them. Great looking build though- it's one that's on my list! Love the covering on it- very military looking.
//

ADR

I gotta say, I'm diggin' the army green 'pedal cozy.'

tcobretti

Dude, I'm way into the cloth pedal covering.

Borat says: "it's very nice!"

cheeb

Thanks guys! It's actaully a piece of a USAF uniform.

remmelt

BUT BUT ISN'T THAT STATE PROPERTY????

(Looks great!)

ambulancevoice

i love the fabric cover
makes it look very russian!... :D
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

ambulancevoice

did you use a 1n60 germ and a 1n4148/914?
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

cheeb