Interest Check: Die cut stickers

Started by hobojoe, May 16, 2007, 11:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobojoe

Hey everyone, I know this is probably the wrong forum but this is where I would get the most people reading the thread.  I have a vinyl sticker cutter and I was thinking that maybe some of you would be interested in stickers to label your pots, inputs, outputs and such.  If you dont know what im talking about the vinyl stickers are basically just one color stickers made of vinyl typically the kind you see on cars that are just one color.

Anyways I was thinking that if anyone was interested I could make a bunch of generic ones such as fuzz, gain, input, output or whatever anyone would be interested and sell them for pretty cheap and if anyone wanted any custom design to mask off for painting I would charge a little bit more.

If anyone thinks they would be interested in this let me know so I can cut out some samples and post some pictures.

Pushtone

Are you talking about cut-out vinyl letters spelling "VOLUME" or a rectangular decal printed with a legend like "VOLUME"?

If your talking about cut-out letters with the application foil on top ready to apply,
then I bet lots of folks would stock up on "FUZZ" "LEVEL" and about a dozen different legends.

I looked into this but was told by the sign shop the lettering on a stompbox is too small to use cut-out letters/words.
I had them print a photoshop file onto white vinyl and trimmed each legend to size.

Whats the smallest font you can cut?
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

hobojoe

Well since at least one person seems interested let me cut out a few and see how small I can go.  Ill get back to you in a bit  :)

hobojoe

Ok so here are some ones I cut up real quick, the picture quality is not that great because I didnt have very good lighting but I just wanna show you the general idea

This is the stickers on the first box I made, the font sizes are 24, 18, 16 respectively

These last two ones came out pretty blurry because of the lighting situation but this is more of what I thought people might want

The idea was to use the other part of the sticker as a mask and paint over it onto the box

I did this with a sharpie real quick just to show my concept and I didnt wait for it to dry so it kinda smudged but I just wanted to get my idea across

Anyways, if enough people are interested we could come up with the most common ones people would want and I could start making them and come up with some prices

runmikeyrun

how much for custom work?  i mean for graphics and other text...  I'm definitely interested in:

in
out
send
return
gain
volume
tone

i could get rid of my rub on lettering and DYMO labeler!  And they would work good as a mask for painting.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

O

That looks good! What type of paint could be used if you wanted to use the vinyl as a mask? (enamel, acrylic, nitro, etc...) I know some paints will dissolve the plastic, so I figured I would ask.

Pushtone

Quote from: hobojoe on May 17, 2007, 01:49:51 AM
Ok so here are some ones I cut up real quick, the picture quality is not that great because I didnt have very good lighting but I just wanna show you the general idea

This is the stickers on the first box I made, the font sizes are 24, 18, 16 respectively

Did you apply those with a foil layer?
The letters look evenly spaced and straight.
I would be interested in these if they came with the foil layer.

It's cool that you can do both "types", lettering and paint mask.
I use 14 point helvetica but 16 point is OK.
How many colors are you planning to offer?

White
Black
Yellow
Red
gray
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

stm

I find it very interesting.  I'd be interested too.

The good thing here is that shipping means sending a standard envelope, so it would be cheap worldwide.

Meanderthal

Yep, cool idea. I'm in for a few if this happens... 8)
I am not responsible for your imagination.

John Lyons

Looks good. I'd be interested to see what come out of this.
Do you think it would be something like a full sheet (8.5x11) with the letters cut similar to the old style trasfer letters?
Let us know what you find out.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

analogmike

I will buy a lot of them if they are well made, email me when you get more info (email, no IM or PM please)
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

hobojoe

runmikeyrun - Custom work would still be pretty cheap you would just have to come up with your design and send it to me,  All the text will probably remain the same cost because its pretty easy.  I just want to find what the most common text ones are so I can make a bunch of them and that way it is easier for me to ship them faster.

O - Im not really sure I have to look into that if anyone does know please chime in :)

Pushtone - Yea they are applied with application tape, its pretty much a giant roll of masking tape that i put over the stickers.  Right now the color vinyls I have are white black blue and red but if a lot of people want a certain color i can get it

stm - Exactly, shipping should be no more than 50 cents!

So for everyone that is interested I would like your help to decide a few things:
Font
Font Size
Common Words (gain, volume, tone, etc)
Price (I was thinking about 25 cents a sticker and cheaper the more stickers ordered, if that sound fair)
And if people are interested in a different color than I listed

hobojoe

John Lyons - I could do that if thats what people are interested and probably be able to sell it pretty cheap for a sheet so I dont have to cut them all out individually

analogmike - Will do

calculating_infinity

Rectangular

I'd definitely be interested in white,  this would great for all those projects with a dark paint job, no fumbling with print-out decals anymore :)   can you do custom fonts ? would I have to send you a .ttf (true-type font)  font file, or how does that whole process work ?

-rec

hobojoe

Yea Rectangular I can most likely do a custom font send it to hobojoe@cox.net and I will see how it comes out and let you know

So since there seems to be a good enough response for these I will make a thread in the for sale forum and start cutting out what I think will be the most common words in black and white and get some pictures up.

ranchak

I had some lettering made awhile back, it was a real pain to get the scrap pieces removed from the letters like "r,p,d,b". What I found to work really well was to take a piece a clear scotch tape and place it over the decal while it is still on the white paper backing. Rub the tape lightly and carefully lift the tape. What will happen is the small scrap pieces will lift off leaving the letters behind. What I then did is used the material that (I don't know what it's called) is used to place the lettering on (the lettering is now inverted, so when it's placed on the box it reads correctly). I wish I had some lettering still around I would take some pictures to try and help clear up what I'm trying to say.