The Brassmaster Mysteries

Started by lowstar, May 17, 2007, 12:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celadine

It looks like R.G.'s schem does have an error - here is the original schem with the connection missing from R.G.'s schem circled:

And the easier to read R.G. schem with the missing connection in red:

Also note, the filter is properly connected to ground by way of the 2.2k resistor to ground on Q7, as circled in blue.
Yet another thing to note is that the 'filter amp' transistor 2n5308 is a Darlington, which may make a difference in simulations and builds.    :icon_smile:

DavidRavenMoon

Quote from: Meanderthal on May 17, 2007, 11:57:49 PM
I frankly don't see what the big deal is about this pedal.

On guitar, it just sounds like a bad fuzz, but on bass the thing is incredible. It lets thru a whole lot of bottom end, and will do a decent octave/fuzz even when driven by a Hog's Foot. It likes to be driven by other pedals in general! Also, I've found the gating to be very practical... when ya stop playin this thing shuts up right away!
What it lacks in sustain can be made up for by driving it with a compressor- instant transformation into a distortion.
In fact, the more I use it, the more I like it. It has bumped off my pedalboard both my ds-1 and BMP.

Oh, BTW, ya know that tuba sound Jack Bruce got in early Cream? Drive the Brassmaster with a Hog's Foot, then cut the highs after the Brassmaster yet again, and it NAILS that sick sound. :icon_twisted:

I had a real one back when they were new... used to plug a EH Mole into mine.  I loved that thing... one day it mysteriously died, I think at the hands of my keyboard player who hated the thing.  The circuit board had traces scratched off!  I tired to fix it but it never worked after that.  They go for so much money these days it's crazy!

You can also hear a Brassmaster on Close to the Edge by Yes.

I just built one using RG's board, and am going to see if this mod fixes it.

I'll post back here and let everyone know.

BTW I love that old jack Bruce tone.  I had the first Peavey Bass amp that had the distortion control on the first chanel, and it also nailed that tone.  Also good for playing BBA stuff.
SGD Lutherie
Hand wound pickups, and electronics.
www.sgd-lutherie.com
www.myspace.com/davidschwab

R.G.

See other thread.

David, try it both ways.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.