MXR Gate. Need updated schem version or replacements for oldies

Started by soccerman58, May 17, 2007, 08:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soccerman58

Hi
My first time here; kinda cool, although just about all the links I tried were broken. Maybe that was because I wasn't yet officially "in"?
Anyway, I need some help to find a noise gate please. I have the old schematic for the MXR and I'm sure somewhere I've seen a newer version of it that doesn't call for a 1N5331 diode which, I understand, is like a fireplug, if you can find it.
AFAIK, the 2SC1849 and 2N5952 are also obsolete. It appears to use a 741 opamp, which I think is still around although if anyone knows of an upgrade...?
Is anyone aware of a DIP package that will do a noise gate? I found the Phillips NE572, but again that's old, and it isn't clear from the data sheets that it can be made as just a gate. They seem to value the compressor attributes more.

Thanks a heap
Phil

rogeryu_ph

Phil,
Go to this link and download the layout PDF. Choose which version you like.
http://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=18

Goodluck
Roger

soccerman58

Thanks. I've given them to an electrical engineer guy whose helping me. From messing about with an NS-1 gate that we borrowed, if you are playing modern metal, full of stops and starts, unless the gate reacts very, very fast you are going to end up with what we ended up with after the NS-1 experiment: a confused gate that is still opening on the next attack. It also seems like unless you can figure out a straight wire bypass when the gate is open that you are going to have all kinds of noise you don't want.

I looked at the circuitry for the Roger Mayer gate, which is probably the best built design out there, but to emulate it might be kinda hard, especially point to point wiring. I told this guy that if he can build a super-fast gate  with a filter that senses the feedback that seems inevitable with metal and cranked high gain amps, for which there is no real solution right now without crushing your tone with a noise gate (bad) or an ISP Decimator (not too bad), he can pretty much name his own price for it.
Phil

rogeryu_ph

I built the MXR noisegate version2 still without casing but I'm not satisfy when using single coil pickup, still I could hear the noise specially at the last note of my ad lib before it totally gate the noise.  I ended up buying or bought Boss NS2 which is good compare to MXR and DOD gate which I borrowed.

Roger