Tapping into PCB mounted i/o Jacks

Started by sjaltenb, May 19, 2007, 06:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjaltenb

Hey guys I got a few pedals that are going to be true bypassed using 3pdt loops that have PCB mounted jacks. Now do i need to unsolder these jacks (which might be kinda risky on the cheaper Dano boards) or can i simply figure out which solder pad is the tip using a DMM and solder a wire to that solder pad on the underside...

I see no reason why this wouldn't work, but figured I'd ask if there were any down sides or reasons not too or a reason it wont work

Thanks!!!!

R.G.

Some jacks have internal switching, the most common kind being to ground the signal lines when there is no plug inserted. This would prevent you from just soldering to the pads. There is no good way to tell without using a DMM to figure out which is which. You possibly will still need to remove them.

Fortunately, removing them is easy.

Get some solder removal braid. This is a roll of metallic braid. You press the braid onto the solder joint with a hot, well tinned iron, and when the solder melts, it is sucked back into the braid by capillary action. Very handy indeed.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

ambulancevoice

dano at beavisaudio.com did a danelectro rehouse diagram
i have it on my computer but i dont know if i am aloud to repost it
but desoldering the jacks would be easy
you can also use one of those solder suckers
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I don't find desoldering jacks easy at all.
But, that's because the ones I am desoldering are on double sided boards with plated through holes.. believe me, the best way is to get pliers & cut the jack away as much as you can, then remove the pins separately. Am I a butcher.....maybe, though surgeon is how I prefer to be considered. Maybe one of those 'barber surgeons' from 1700. :icon_wink:

But ues, you need to check continuity to see what is going on, & you need to check the jack both with and without a lead plugged in. The switching patterns aren't standard.