Sweet 16 by Doug Hammond

Started by WGTP, May 19, 2007, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGTP

This is the pedal that got me hooked on this stuff.  When I heard this monster sound (have you ever heard the largest Stil chainsaw in action) it changed my life.  Doug took it down and I couldn't get him to post it again, so I redrew it after finding the scheme.  I hope he isn't pissed.  Doug let me know if you want me to take it down.

This is the next step towards metal after the BSIAB and Sweet 16.  It's not pretty or nice.  The tone control is of interest for the way it
scoops the mids, but allows adjustment of the treble.  Probably would work well on other distortions as well.  I still blame Doug for my
"Electronic Romance".   :icon_cool:

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/WGTP/Sweet_16?full=1
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

blanik

what parts did you change to get it to run on 16V ?  (and how do you drop it from 18V to 16?)

John Lyons

Nice one! I've been thinking about making this for years. Dougs stuff is all very nice. Haven't built an amp or a pedal he created that sounded bad...or even blase.

Thanks for shedding some light on this again.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

WGTP

Opps, that should be Sweet Thing (more similar to the BSIAB) with the BSIAB in the first post.  I also found a schematic where Doug used a Rat type tone control after the second Mu/Sypp stage.

I think Doug just liked the name Sweet 16.  It really is just the 2 - 9V batteries in series that doubles the standard voltage.  If you have 2 batteries that have run down to 8V, that gets you 16V

I forgot to mention the text is straight from Doug's schematic, as well, except for the noiseless biasing part.   :icon_cool:

blanik

so you can run this circuit (as it is) on 9V ?

Violent5

I searched and found this layout for the Sweet 16 www.geofex.com/PCB_layouts/Layouts/sthart.pdf

It looks like the same one from years ago to me.

WGTP

Yes, but it won't be as HOT.  That's the layout.  Never occured to me to search for it :icon_rolleyes:  You didn't find the schematic did you? 

Violent5

Nope I didn't found the schematic.

WGTP

I had the layout, but didn't want to try and re-draw it.  We have all the info now.  Let it rip.   :icon_cool: