Simple A/B Box with LED

Started by shred_head, May 20, 2007, 09:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shred_head

Hi,
I'm looking to build a A/B box with a LED, and have googled around for schematics yet all I find are Dual Preamp/Active A/B Schematics.

Also is there a way to wire this up with a DPST, to include the LED and to have True Bypass?

boogietube

Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.
On the bench:  Rebote 2.5,  Dr Boogie, TS808

shred_head

that includes a 9v external supply, as well as a 3pDT switch, seen it long ago

boogietube

QuoteI'm looking to build a A/B box with a LED, and have googled around for schematics yet all I find are Dual Preamp/Active A/B Schematics.

Also is there a way to wire this up with a DPST, to include the LED and to have True Bypass?

This box is not active-it will work without power. The led won't illuminate , however.  There is no way to get led indication and a/b switching with a dpst switch.

This IS the simplest one.
Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.
On the bench:  Rebote 2.5,  Dr Boogie, TS808

widdly

Here is an A or B or A->B  diagram I've been thinking about.

You could leave off the A->B section and use an DPDT switch.  It's not true bypass but the buffer should stop any tone sucking.  The buffer is copied from RunOfGroove's splitter/bender http://runoffgroove.com/splitter-blend.html (I hope that doesn't upset anyone).

Anyone see any problems with this circuit?

shred_head

why is it that the input is a trs insert on so many diagrams? and the rest are all TS?

what is the TRS going to in these situations?

Barcode80

if you place the neg lead of the battery snap on the ring connection on the input, you can save battery life because the battery is only active when you have a cable inserted because it completes the connection to ground for the battery. it's purely optional, but if you use a battery to power it's a near-necessity to keep down power usage.

shred_head

ok, so now I have another question,

if I wanted to create an A/B Y Box, BUT, instead, this one has 2 sends and 2 returns,

so that I can put the box prior to my rack eq, and have the ability to switch between them, or use both?
how would I wire that up using a DPDT
(even if it was no LED Indicator)

widdly

Yeah you can wire a DPDT to switch one input between two outputs.   Wire one half of the switch to the sends and input and wire the  other half to the returns and output.

I've made an improvement to my A,B or A->B circuit.  I've changed the DPDT to 3PDT so now it switches the unused outputs to ground to cut down the noise.

shred_head

I managed to find this: http://www.diyguitarist.com/PDF_Files/ABY-LED-Wiring.pdf

Which I thought would work, but i'm not sure if i understand...It says the one connection to go to the millenium 2 bypass box,
then i assume the 2nd diagram is just a separate circuit altogether, how can I incorporate the LED and connection using only 1 DPDT?
I am guessing that is what the Millenium Bypass is, a way to incorporate the LED and Battery without causing noise on the signal?
How can one build their own Millenium Bypass Box?

shred_head

what is the benefit of the millenium bypass?

shred_head

OK, so i decided to build mine based on:
http://www.diyguitarist.com/PDF_Files/ABY-LED-Wiring.pdf

with no millenium bypass, but the issue i'm having now is, using my multimeter I can tell that when in FX LOOP mode,  my fx out isn't connecting to my fx in,

now according to this wiring scheme, I have nothing hooked into slot 1 of the DPDT switch, what would I have to connect to there? or what am I missing?

as well, I am mounting it in a tin can? would the ground be ok If i grounded it on the casing of the DPDT switch? or where should I ground it?

Barcode80

if you aren't using the millenium bypass, you will want to use a 3pdt and switch the LED with the 3rd pole. but if you do use this diagram, i would tie the empty switch lug to ground. i would likely also throw a buffer in there, but that is personal taste

shred_head

the empty lug that you speak of...are you talking about lug # 1? ground it out?
as well is it ok to just ground the 1/4" jacks to my dpdt switch?
why use a buffer?