LM386 for ugly face

Started by 1878, May 21, 2007, 05:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello...

I'm a bit of a newbie to all this so please excuse me if this is one of those stupid questions. Basically, I know I must use the 'CMOS 555' for the ugly face, but what about the LM386 ?? I've seen LM386D, LM386N and plain old LM386 being used and written down on various schematics ?? Are these all compatible or must only a certain type be used ??

Thanks in advance !!

Dan N

You should google up a data sheet. The LM386N-4 puts out more power than the LM386N-1.

I liked the LM386N-4 and the JRC386D in my Uglyface.

runmikeyrun

funny thing is, i was just playing with some Ruby amps this week, trying to get something together to make a spring reverb driver and receiver with two amps, two small speakers, and a couple of small springs.  I was looking at the National Semiconductor datasheet on the 386 and they have a circuit for an oscillator... hmmmm I said, never noticed that before!!  I know what project just got added to my list :)  This could be a little different than my Atari Punk Sim or Uglyface.

I have one each LM386-3 and 4, i'm driving them at ~12v because my caps are only rated at 16.  I wish i could get a cleaner sound out of it with more volume because i'm going to have to find some efficient speakers to drive these springs.  I am going to have to try both a speaker and piezo to connect the other end of springs to, i'm not sure if a speaker will work or not.  I really have to limit the signal coming into the driver amp though, my hot rodded 5 string bass is clipping them pretty good.  I will have distortion on the amp but i want to try to use a cleaner design.  I know i could build a little gem II for more volume but i'm trying to keep this from getting too complicated.  Good luck, i'm trying to fit a spring reverb in a stompbox!!!   :icon_biggrin:

Oh forgot to add- the LM386-4 is rated to 18v if i remember right.  The earlier versions are only rated to 12v.  From experimenting with varying voltages on my reverb project you definitely get more volume from higher voltages, but i wouldn't say it really gets any cleaner.  You can just get louder clean volumes with more juice.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women