Tel Ray oil can vibrato schematics?

Started by Marc.yo, May 30, 2007, 07:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc.yo

First of all, what models are we talking about when we say Tel Ray oil-can vibrato effects?

Second of all, where can I find this schematic?

GREEN FUZ

Have you seen this site?

http://www.geocities.com/tel_ray/

Just about everything you need to know. Including various schematics.

Meanderthal

QuoteSorry, this GeoCities site is currently unavailable.

:icon_sad:
I am not responsible for your imagination.

QSQCaito

R.G.'s Geofex has: technology of oil can article, maybe you could take a look.

Oh, its of delays BTW. :-\
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/oil_can_delays.htm
D.A.C

Meanderthal

Yeah, I saw that, (thank you though) and remember them(oil can delays) from way back when... It only whetted my curiosity!

Although, it seems DIY would be extremely problematic... Still, I find the concept fascinating.

R.G.

The schematics of the Tel-Ray stuff are essentially worthless. There really was a magic sauce in them. The mechanics of making a rotating oil drum with the right stuff in it is much, much more complicated than the electronics.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

blanik

got an article in a guitar mag about the De Armond tremolo (very old) it used a rotating can with... windex window cleaner in it.. they were saying it was conductive...

GREEN FUZ

Quote from: Meanderthal on May 30, 2007, 07:24:31 PM
QuoteSorry, this GeoCities site is currently unavailable.

:icon_sad:

Is anyone else getting this message? I can access the site, no problem. There`s tons of stuff there including the original patent that names the "magic sauce" and its properties. It`s over my head (not the sauce) but is apparently a polyalkyline oxide derivative with the trade name "UCON" LB 65.

Dirk_Hendrik

No problem opening that link.

As for those patents,
Just go to www.uspto.gov and do a search for Ray Lubow.

More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

Rodgre

I've been collecting these things since I first heard one some ten years ago. I would never even think to DIY one, as it's way more mechanical than electronic. I also have a Dearmond Tremolo, which is similarly mechanical, but nothing like what the Tel-Ray units do.

Roger

Meanderthal

Hey! You're right, it's working now! Cool! 8)

Thanks, I know it would be nuts to try and build one from scratch, but the whole idea is so weird I just want to know more... things like the 'brushes', or what would happen (in theory) to the sound if the oil gets ripples or stirred or shaken during use, etc... just for the sake of knowing...

Hey, I'm fascinated by the Russian space program too, but would never attempt to build a Soyuz(or even a Vostok), nor will I ever find a way to put anything I learn about it to use. I guess I'm just a nerd that gets a charge outta useless information.

Windex? That's weird!

markm

Quote from: Meanderthal on May 31, 2007, 07:47:11 AM
Hey, I'm fascinated by the Russian space program too, but would never attempt to build a Soyuz(or even a Vostok), nor will I ever find a way to put anything I learn about it to use. I guess I'm just a nerd that gets a charge outta useless information.

Windex? That's weird!

:icon_lol:

These Oil Can Delays are Bizarre to say the least!

tiges_ tendres

There is a guy on Ebay who is selling the oil now.  Apparently, it's some kind of polymer disolved in a something-or-other. Not the heavily toxic stuff or whatever used to be in them.
Try a little tenderness.

Rodgre

I heard the Windex theory and I've heard it debunked too, so I'm not going to believe the hype.

Roger

moosapotamus

Yeah, definately not a great candidate for DIY from scratch. But, finding an old worn out unit and bringing it back to life would definitely be in  the DIY spirit. I have a non-working fender dimension IV that's been gathering dust for way too long. 8)

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

blanik

Quote from: Rodgre on May 31, 2007, 11:26:32 AM
I heard the Windex theory and I've heard it debunked too, so I'm not going to believe the hype.

Roger

i never heard of those effects before, interesting concept...

here's the thing about windex...

http://www.danformosa.com/dearmond.html

Dirk_Hendrik

Of what I read quickly,

There seems to be nothing in common between this deArmond trem and a Tel Ray oilcan...
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

Meanderthal

You're right, but this is a really cool idea too. It reminds me of a mini paint can shaker! I'd heard of oil can tremolos, but assumed it was closely related to delay tech, this one actually lowers volume...instead of... depositing and retrieving the audio signal on some kinda wierd slime!