spray on bedliner

Started by runmikeyrun, May 31, 2007, 03:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runmikeyrun

has anyone tried this on their enclosures?  It would basically be bulletproof, but i'm not sure how you would label it cause i think you can only get it in that "wet" look.  Just wondering if anyone had tried this cause it might be kinda cool if you could get it smooth.

I just thought of this- i wonder if that Dip It stuff for tool handles would be cool too.  It's pretty durable, slightly rubbery.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

Mark Hammer

I've used it, or something like it; that stuff you spray on running boards.  Made some mini-amps, and rather than search for grill cloth, I scored some inexpensive plastic speaker grills (for 8" speakers) and sprayed the baffle with the stuff.  Works great.  Looks very much like black tolex.  Seems to dry pretty quickly too.

markm

Wrinkle paint could be cool too.  8)

m-theory

I think it would be very difficult to label that heavy texture.  Wrinkle paint would probably be difficult as well.  Both would be quite durable, for whatever that's worth.  I've got a wrinkle finish pedal that I used for probably 7-8 years, never mounted in a pedal board, and it's still pretty much intact. 

If you wanted something durable and label-able, you might consider hammertone.  It sprays similar to the wrinkle finish, except that instead of intentionally creating lifting, you're intentionally creating fisheyes.  It's very forgivable to work with, and pretty durable when dry.  Pretty unique look as well. 

markm

Quote from: m-theory on June 01, 2007, 09:01:10 AM
  Pretty unique look as well. 

Well, it used to be!  :icon_lol:
Seems alot of the boo-tweakers are using Hammertone paints mainly because they are unaware of self-etching primer which sticks to aluminum quite well and will hold on to paint better than just about anything out there.
Give it a try!  :icon_wink:

AL

Yeah, I've started using that instead of paint. It stays on much better. It is tough to put on a label or write on it. To get around this I've been spraying a little thicker near the knobs/jacks etc where I'll be writing on it. This smooths it out enough to allow this. If you're worried about a "wet look" try spraying a matte finish clear coat over it.

I like this stuff. Much easier to use. According to the containers I've gotten it does come in other colors but I've only been able to find black. I think the tool dip stuff would be great but it's gonna be hard to keep it from running.

AL

modsquad

Hello white spraypaint and stencil :icon_mrgreen:
"Chuck Norris sleeps with a night light, not because he is afraid of the dark but because the dark is afraid of him"

markm

Quote from: AL on June 01, 2007, 09:18:39 AM
Yeah, I've started using that instead of paint. It stays on much better. It is tough to put on a label or write on it.

You could clear coat it a couple of times and wet-sand in between them which would smooth the surface a bit and make it more decal-friendly.  :)

RickL

I use textured finishes on most of the pedals I build. I use faux stone finish spray paint but it should also work with bedliner paint. I letter the boxes with a Dymo letter gun (plastic labels with raised letters), then paint over top. The raised letters can be seen through the textured paint and I pick out the lettering with paint pens or gel pens. The paint penned letters hold up fine but the gel penned lettering has to be covered with a coat of clear or it rubs off as soon as you touch it.

runmikeyrun

cool,  thanks!!  I have some experimenting to do...

chucknorrisfacts.com, is that still up?  My favorite on is "chuck norris' tears cure cancer, too bad he has never cried!"  Too bad is what happened to him... Walker Texas Ranger and TOTAL GYM!!!   ???
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

modsquad

Hey got a make a livin somehow.  He's a really cool and nice guy though.
"Chuck Norris sleeps with a night light, not because he is afraid of the dark but because the dark is afraid of him"

hairyandy

Quote from: runmikeyrun on June 01, 2007, 09:13:24 PM
cool,  thanks!!  I have some experimenting to do...

chucknorrisfacts.com, is that still up?  My favorite on is "chuck norris' tears cure cancer, too bad he has never cried!"  Too bad is what happened to him... Walker Texas Ranger and TOTAL GYM!!!   ???

My favorite was "Chuck Norris never won an Oscar for acting...because he's not acting!"

:)

Andy
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

Dragonfly

Ive used it quite a few times...its durable...though the corners can be chipped semi-easily....

markm

Quote from: Dragonfly on June 04, 2007, 10:13:40 AM
Ive used it quite a few times...its durable...though the corners can be chipped semi-easily....

.....mainly because it is meant to adhere to steel -or- a painted surface.
I can't say enough about self-etching primer, it becomes part of whatever it is sprayed on and holds the paint on top of it quite well.
Works fantastic on aluminum enclosures!

Stompin Tom

Somewhat off topic... Has anyone ever used the bedliner stuff on wood? I'm thinking instead of tolex on a DIY amp... bad idea??

markm

Quote from: Stompin Tom on June 04, 2007, 11:32:59 AM
Somewhat off topic... Has anyone ever used the bedliner stuff on wood? I'm thinking instead of tolex on a DIY amp... bad idea??

Interesting though.

RickL

I used something similar on a couple of speaker cabinets I built many (20+) years ago. My father owned a body shop at the time and he sprayed a stone guard anti-chipping type stuff onto the wood. I don't remember if the wood was primed first but while I was using the cabinets the finish held up pretty well.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Stompin Tom on June 04, 2007, 11:32:59 AM
That's what I did.  Works great.  And as bad as it smells, it smells one helluva lot better (for less time, too) than contact cement used to hold tolex in place.

Stompin Tom

Great! I've put off tolexing my amp for so long... I'd much rather spray.