Steel Stud Enclosures

Started by Alex C, September 16, 2003, 09:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex C

The other day I went to Lowe's to get some paint for a project (Smash Drive) and while I was there, I checked out the steel studs,  because I've read about R.G. Keen's ideas for extremely cheap boxes.  I've been wanting to try a "Jimi in a box" type of thing- Univibe, Fuzz Face, Octavia, as others have mentioned.  But the steel studs didn't feel very thick, actually kind of flimsy.  I'd like to know whether they're sturdier after folding?  From what I saw, it didn't seem like the thin metal would withstand even a gentle push on a stomp switch.  Anyone done this succesfully?

Alex C

Anyone?  I thought this was a fairly popular choice for enclosures.

MartyB

Hi Alex,

I had the same concerns as you about the steel studs after checking one out at Home Depot.   My latest enclosure project is using rectangular aluminum tubing.  Ebay had some listed 18" long about $2.50 a stick.  With shipping I figure my cost per enclosure will be ~ $1.50.  One stick would be plenty long enough for a multiple pedal.  You'd have to get creative with assembly/access though for the central bits - hard to reach from the open ends.  Maybe make a 'modular' pedal with male-to-female connecting jacks built-in on the ends.

MartyB

R.G.

So - you want cheap, or good?  8-)

The Home Depot studs are 25 gauge steel, and they do feel downright flimsy at first. If they're folded up into short boxes, as shown in the photo essay, the folding stiffens them up a good deal, and they are perfectly workable.  

I personally would not use something like this for gigs where I was being paid to play, but then they'll do a lot of garage gigs. I built myself a couple of them, but I went back to my standard, the Hammond 1590BB. I've been telling people to use the 1590BB since the first edition of the Guitar Effects FAQ, back in about '94, before there was a world wide web.

Besides, they are  *dirt* cheap. That is the beauty - they are available in great quantity at very low prices. For $0.20  a box you want sturdy too?? 8-)

Here's the secret if you want to move beyond the Home Depot stuff. Did you also read about the bigger steel studs in the same article? Steel framing is available in thicknesses up to about 0.060", which is about as thick as common PCB stock. This is some serious steel. Tube amp chassis can be made out of 18 gauge (0.042") steel. You just have to find a place that carries it. Check out "drywall supplies" in the yellow pages.  You can get steel stud material heavy enough that you won't want to hacksaw it into submission. And it's still dirt cheap.

What I'm doing with enclosures right now is hacking together an all-in-one modular out of the bigger steel studs mounted open side out. You mount the effect on a flat plate that gets screwed into the open side. Kind of a rack system in a pedalboard.

Raco junction boxes are an alternative. I had them suggested in the FAQ long ago - check out the "bondo" section of the FAQ at GEO. But they are quite expensive comparatively.

R.G.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

RickL

I just finished putting a project into a box made from a steel stud. Once they are folded they are indeed more sturdy than you would expect. It took a fair amount of time for me to get it looking even close to good. In particular the stud I got wasn't completely flat on the top so it was awkward to bend and getting the two pieces the right size to slide into each other without being too loose took some fiddling. I guess all this really does is confirm what R. G. said.

Overall for me it probably wasn't worth the bother, when I want cheap (which is most of the time) I use electrical junction boxes.

TANSTAAFL

Alex C

Thanks guys, you answered all my questions!