Methods to fill unused holes drilled in enclosures?

Started by bipedal, June 01, 2007, 10:26:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bipedal

Okay, I learned this one the hard way: don't drill an enclosure until you're sure that:
a)  what you're stuffing inside works, and,
b)  the layout and offboard components you're using require the holes you're drilling.

In short, I now have a nice BB-sized box with too many holes in places where I don't want 'em.   :-[

Any good, easy tricks for filling those holes so I can salvage and reuse the box?  I've never messed with bondo before, so I can't judge whether that'd be more trouble than just picking up a brand new enclosure for my next project.

Thanks in advance,

Jay
"I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won't work." -T. Edison
The Happy Household; The Young Flyers; Derailleur

markm

Easy;
Put a piece of masking tape over the hole to be filled, put the tape on the OUTSIDE of the enclosure,
Mix up some JB weld,
Fill the hole from the INSIDE,
Allow to dry,
Sand flat and then prime with self-etching primer.
DONE!
     :)

petemoore

I did the tape bottom and fill hole with bondo, from the outside, a credit card to 'float' the bondo surface to boxtop level'+', a bit of sanding to take the + off to smooth.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

markm

Quote from: petemoore on June 01, 2007, 10:36:06 AM
  I did the tape bottom and fill hole with bondo, from the outside, a credit card to 'float' the bondo surface to boxtop level'+', a bit of sanding to take the + off to smooth.

That's a good idea, my reason for JB weld is the durabilty factor. JB is stronger than Bondo.

bipedal

Thanks for replies and the JB Weld recommendation.  Sounds like just the thing.

Looks like it ought to be readily available, too - perhaps in auto parts stores?
"I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won't work." -T. Edison
The Happy Household; The Young Flyers; Derailleur

modsquad

Ooooh never thought of that.  I have had issues with JB weld in the past drying and then seperating later.  I guess with the holes not needing to flex it would work fine.
"Chuck Norris sleeps with a night light, not because he is afraid of the dark but because the dark is afraid of him"

markm

Quote from: bipedal on June 01, 2007, 11:14:19 AM
Thanks for replies and the JB Weld recommendation.  Sounds like just the thing.

Looks like it ought to be readily available, too - perhaps in auto parts stores?

Most Auto Parts stores have it....even Walmart I think?
One other thing I've done to "strengthen" the fill is to add some of the aluminum drill shavings right into the JB weld as it's being mixed!
I can't say if it does add any strength to it but, it look good!  :icon_razz:

Hambo

Yeah these metal epoxy type pinch and squish gums are pretty good for everything. Most of the exhaust collectors and one of the cans on my bike is practically made of the stuff  :icon_wink: And I use the incredibly cheap tack you get from discount hardware places too.

I used it to fill holes in my uglyface box, which was an old prototype box I would bung stuff in to see if it worked before putting it in a proper box.. so tons of holes. But I didnt bother making it look nice.. it is an UGLYface after all, I just put raised mounds of the stuff with all thumb prints in and painted them bright pink against the fetching dull mauve nail varnish finish of the enclosure.. Its quite a sight  :icon_mrgreen:

how do you mean it looks good with the alu shavings markm? didnt you paint over it after? and why would that make it stronger?

petemoore

JB is stronger than Bondo.
  Certainly is, and is useful for 'glue-ing' engine blocks back together, fantastically amazingly strong, filling an engine block's ice blowout to seal under the tremendous forces of expansion/contraction of a heating and cooling engine block.
  I said I doubt it, we tried it. YMMV, but It worked from 20 below zero to whatever the thermostat operating temperature is on a 350 chevy suburban...that saved at least many hundreds of dollars, the package had a story of a 5000$ savings on a caterpillar engine block...I can now believe it.

markm

Quote from: Hambo on June 01, 2007, 12:12:23 PM
how do you mean it looks good with the alu shavings markm? didnt you paint over it after?

Well, the looks part was kind of a joke.....I forgot to add this ( :icon_lol:).
It does look cool though once its sanded out with all the little chips of aluminum in it.

and why would that make it stronger?

Well, I don't think it does really but, I honestly don't know.

petemoore

5mm LED stuffed in there, perhaps a blown out pot with a knob on it, shoot, a piece of electrical tape on black covers the hole at least.
  Epoxying a penny over it.
  Just about anything, a piece of shaped...rock for that matter.
  I've had lots of 'stray' holes to fill, so I've tried many things.

MKB

+1 on the JB Weld; the Hammond boxes I currently use all have 1/2" holes in 'em where they are not wanted (eneded up with a bunch like that).  The JB Weld works wonders in filling up a hole even that big.

birt

or just don't fill them and make it a fabric covered finish

or just drill more holes in different sizes and pretend it was meant to look like that
http://www.last.fm/user/birt/
visit http://www.effectsdatabase.com for info on (allmost) every effect in the world!

markm

Quote from: birt on June 01, 2007, 03:44:54 PM
or just drill more holes in different sizes and pretend it was meant to look like that

:icon_twisted:

Paul Marossy

QuoteEasy;
Put a piece of masking tape over the hole to be filled, put the tape on the OUTSIDE of the enclosure,
Mix up some JB weld,
Fill the hole from the INSIDE,
Allow to dry,
Sand flat and then prime with self-etching primer.
DONE!

That's exactly how I do it.  :icon_cool:

runmikeyrun

Yeah these metal epoxy type pinch and squish gums are pretty good for everything. Most of the exhaust collectors and one of the cans on my bike is practically made of the stuff  :icon_wink: And I use the incredibly cheap tack you get from discount hardware places too.

Mine too.  Patched the expansion chamber of my YZ250 in many places, oh lets see, about 7 years ago... still there!!!
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

There is a metal plug that is made for temporarily filling holes on a panel. you often see them on old military stuff where there is a trimpot underneath. You just press the thing into the hole & springy stubby fingers hold it in place. They come in various sizes, can't remember the name though!