Like Scott Henderson.

Started by aron, June 01, 2007, 09:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aron

I was thinking of making a small box, just a volume box, but putting the MXR knob on the top, that way I might be able to save space by using it as a simple foot operated volume control - like Scott Henderson does with his MXR Micro-Amp. Anyone tried to use their foot to control volume like he does?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I havn't done it myself, but i saw a feral looking guy performing locally who played psychedelic guitar (that is, solo guitar with huge number of pedals with echo, drones etc ambient) & he had bare feet & was working the knobs with these positively PREHENSILE toes - ever since then, I have looked a bit suspiciously at secondhand pedals (or should I say, secondFOOT pedals!)

Those rubber door stoppers should be easy to adapt.

Paul Marossy

Huh, I never noticed that he does that. I have a friend that does that with his old school Ibanez digital delay to control the delay time. He replaced the knob on it with a bigger one so he could do it with his foot. I don't think I'm coordinated enough to do that... ahem.  :o

aron

I'm hoping that it would allow me to control the lead volume - just enough to matter. That's the main reason I have a volume pedal sometimes. I want a compact way to control the lead volume so the balance is just right. I will try it on the volume control of the Shaka first.

zeppelinchld

should work if u put some extra room around it and mayb make the knob bigger. what i would do is put a little bit of grip tape or sumtin to get grip on it

aron

I guess you haven't seen an MXR knob with the rubber housing on it. Anyway, I tried it. It works! Not too hard to control with your foot.

trevize

On my Pt-80 the delay time knob is like in the one the minidejavibe.
I think it's a better approach than mxr knobs.
http://fulltone.com/images/mdvtiny.jpg

I like the fact that I can decide to use like a mxr knob or just use the side of the kbs for more precise setting.

petemoore

I've been doing that for sometime now.
  Just raise the volume knob to about 3/16'' or higher than the adjacent knobs, keep the plugs and everything else away from the foot access area around the volume knob [My Rocket at left of PB has large raised knob VC at left, the DIST+ is on the Right, Raised VC to the right]. 
  For the EZ Vibe speed control, I tapered a big pot so it a bit coarser control, and use the 'Ziptie' pointer...coming off the side of the pedal...to turn that knob, a different feel, easy to control the speed with the springy ziptie controlling the knob turn rate...light or quick pressure ='s slow/slight turn rate.
  Kind of surprizing this isn't commercialized much more than it is, MXR DIST+ turned me on to this.
  Setting a 10-15% boost pedal up for a lead-switch of course!
  thing is...if you have a MIC which constitutes a large %age of the 'out-front' sound [PA doing alot of guitar] and a sound guy...some negativity might be experienced when volume controlling from the stage.
  ...lol...after all, we all know guitar is to be 'One Set Volume', volume should never be worked with, that would lead to dynamics...ughhh !
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

R O Tiree

I've built/modded pedals for several people who wanted over-sized pot knobs so they can do that.
...you fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way...

petemoore

Why bend over if ye dosn't haff ta.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Meanderthal

I have a giant Boris Karloff knob on my Hog's Foot that I adjust by foot. It comes in handy when ya drive other stuff with it.
I am not responsible for your imagination.

WGTP

Cool idea.  I've wondered about taping a small box around the guitar stap for easy hand access, but foot sounds better.   :icon_cool:

BAREFOOTEN
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Paul Marossy

I personally like a volume pedal the best. Make a bigger pedalboard I say.  :icon_wink:

MKB

Anyone seen the Maestro effects of the seventies, shaped like a triangle, with the large 3 inch knobs perpendicular to the floor?  That looked like a good idea, those were designed for foot adjustment.  You could make such a knob fairly easily by adding a wood circle to an existing knob; only problems with such an arrangement is that your box has to be almost as high as the knob.

Another possibility is the wide knurled knob on the Boomerang looper.  Or you could just use a volume pedal; you could take a cheap wah pedal and gut it to make a controller.

Processaurus

I love these knobs, they're about 2 1/2" in diameter with a rubber boot, only problem is I found them in the trash on some antiquated video equipment, wonder if you can buy them new somewhere?

I remember seeing some univibe type thing from the seventies (it might have been bright red...) that had a huge triangle knob thing attached to the pot at the tip, and it had posts to stop it from over rotating.