News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Wiring?

Started by DWBH, June 02, 2007, 07:08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWBH

I'd like to wire a pedal with only a DPDT, a led and 9V. No Millenium Bypass. Is this possible?

petemoore

I'd like to wire a pedal with only a DPDT, a led and 9V. No Millenium Bypass. Is this possible?
  no..If you require True Bypass for signal input/output with Led indicator using DPDT...the signal switching assigns the DPDT lugs, you'd need a 3PDT or Mil bypass to light/off an LED.
  Only time I can think of is with Nurse Quacky or a circuit that lights an LED only when there is input signal present.
  Otherwise take a look at old schematics which leave the input connected to the circuit [which loads the signal down 'some']..some wah schematics show use of SpDT Sw for signal switching [output]...using a DPDT you have two lugs that could be used for the LED switching.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

lampodigenio

Is not possible with a DPDT. You must use a 3PDT if you want a led

DWBH

What if I that out the LED?

Meanderthal

No problemo without the LED, and also it can be done with one but you won't get true bypass.
I am not responsible for your imagination.

DWBH

I don't want TB. I never said I did.
Just something that allows me to on and off a 9V pedal with one LED.

petemoore

Take an LED and a 4k7 [adjust R value for brightness, smaller values might over-current the LED].
  Hook that up to a 9v battery, or the other way round 'till it lights. Note LED orientation to PS polarity, one lead should be longer, the LED's side will have a 'flat' portion indicating Cathode.
  To turn the LED off, disconnect the PS from the LED circuit.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

slacker

ulysses

i think this is what he is asking for..

i dont recommend it.. i recommend paying the money for a 3PDT.. but i used this method when i was to broke to buy a 3PDT + OS shipping on top of the cost of the switch!

cheers
ulysses

DWBH

What's the difference between a input unbypassed and a output unbypassed?

Thanks guys!

ulysses

if you look at the two circuits on ggg you will notice that either the input is connected twice or the output is connected twice.

either you are switching the output on the dpdt or you are switching the input on the dpdt.

i use effect input unbypassed because some pedals do output a signal even when there is no input signal, which would leak onto your output - and it doesnt really matter if your input signal goes to the board as well as the output, becasue the output of the board is not connected to anything when bypassed.

cheers
ulysses

DWBH

Thanks guys.

I'm doing a Trosky drive with some junk parts I have and I didn't want to spend money on a 3PDT.

DWBH

With no switch, LED and 9V. Is this correct?

Meanderthal

Not sure whatcha mean...?
I am not responsible for your imagination.

DWBH

I posted a image, but it's not showing it.  :-[

Anyway, here it is: http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb215/DWBH_bucket/esquema.jpg

darron

you can have true, true bypass with a dpdt and an led using THE RAT bypass method

http://www.muzique.com/lab/true_bypass.htm

i was a skeptic at first because i couldn't think of a way for it to be possible. by some smart rewiring you can use only 5 of the 6 legs of the switch, then use transistors to test if the final switch is floating and trigger the led.

get a 3pdt... :P
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

rockgardenlove

If you notice tone suckage with that DPDT, just stick a high input impedance buffer in front of the circuit board.