This is the wah tone I seek - but how do I get it?

Started by marcoharder, June 03, 2007, 01:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcoharder

Here's the link to the guy's soundclip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-AYgLQj7TY

How do I get this wah tone? Arrrrgh, I'm even hearing it in my dreams.

Paul Marossy

Nice wah sounds. I don't think you're going to get any answers out of the guy who posted the video, though. I'm sure all the wah experts here will chime in momentarily...  :o

skiraly017

You could build a wah board with all the components socketed, buy capacitor and resistor substitution boxes and just keep swapping values until you get the sound you're looking for. I may be wrong but there's probably only a few parts/values that affect the overall sound.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

marcoharder

Quote from: Paul Marossy on June 03, 2007, 03:29:27 PM
Nice wah sounds. I don't think you're going to get any answers out of the guy who posted the video, though. I'm sure all the wah experts here will chime in momentarily...  :o

Hehehe, yeah thought so. :) But hopefully RG and the other wah wizards will join soon enough. :)

Thanks Paul!

jonathan perez

no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

Paul Marossy

I think he probably experimented quite a bit with parts values before he found the sound he wanted. And I imagine the $64,000 question is for most would be: what inductor did he use in it?!

What we do know is that he states that it's a "custom built Clyde McCoy". So, I guess we could at least surmise that it's got a halo style inductor in it.

remmelt

marcoharder

Yeah, too bad. I think I was able to download it though. I'll post a link when I can. :)

jonathan perez

its pretty hard to tell, based on the quality of the video.

if you got a gutshot, i could tell you where to go.

but i HIGHLY suggest you build the clyde with any given Halo inductor (look on ebay) or even a good crybaby inductor, and just find the tone for you. keep in mind, alot of technique has to do with it...neck pickups wont sound good through any wah, period. or do like the rest and pay 500-700 dollars on a clone that i/you could build you for $60, non profit.

gaah!

i think im just irritated cause i woke up too early.

qwixzh

i have sets of pot cores for DIY halo inductor. I can wind you any mH you want (well up to 700mH only i think) i can sell you one of these with customed inductor. you know my email, contact me if you want me to build one for you. just specify the mH you require.

qwi

blanik

Quote from: thebattleofmidway on June 04, 2007, 10:09:40 AM
...neck pickups wont sound good through any wah, period...

that's weird, my neck pup sounds perty good through my old Jen Wah! it's a strat Lace Sensor (blue if i remember) with a chrome cover, it was the middle pickup on my Tele Deluxe (they call it Nashville now to diff it from the Custom/Deluxe series) and i put it on the neck pos of my other tele... really punchy sound and it makes the wah sing...  ;D

R.

Paul Marossy

Quote...neck pickups wont sound good through any wah, period...

I disagree. I use my neck pickup (Seymour Duncan Jazz) 99% of the time with my Maestro Boomerang. I think it sounds great. That statement might be closer to the truth if you want the whacka-whacka sound.

jonathan perez

let me be clear, its not as intense as it is with a bridge pickup.  :D :D

Paul Marossy

Quotelet me be clear, its not as intense as it is with a bridge pickup.

OK, I can buy that.  :icon_wink: