is this wiring right?

Started by Andy, September 16, 2003, 10:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

Just to clarify, when using a dpdt switch, you bridge 1 and 4, 2 is input jack tip, 3 goes to the input of the circuit, 5 goes to the output jack tip and 6 comes from the output of the circuit, correct?  BUT, does the ring of the output jack goto the ground of the input jack to complete the circuit?  

on the stereo input jack, the ground goes to the ground on the circuit, the 9 volt battery negative goes to the ring of the input jack and the 9 volt battery positive goes to the 9 volt connection on the circuit, correct?

i numbered the switch like this:
1  4
2  5
3  6

I have read all the posts on this but no-one covered the output jack ring.
Andy

Rodgre

The output and input rings should both connect to circuit ground.

Most pedal builders seem to mount their projects in metal enclosures, so the output and input jacks are automatically connected together through the metal of the box, so many of us think of it as second nature...

Roger

Andy

ohhhhhhhhhh...i get it.  so in theory, you don't need to run a wire from output jack sleeve to the other jack.  You just simply make sure it's got a good bite on the metal box?
Andy

Mike Burgundy

This is one way that works, although if you want to be *really* picky, you only connect the input jack to the chassis, and isolate everything else with little plastic mounting rings, and run ground wires from the input jack.
I allways use mono output and stereo input jacks for power switching.
hih

Andy

Quote from: Mike BurgundyThis is one way that works, although if you want to be *really* picky, you only connect the input jack to the chassis, and isolate everything else with little plastic mounting rings, and run ground wires from the input jack.
I allways use mono output and stereo input jacks for power switching.
hih

do you mean run ground wires from the OUTPUT jack?
Andy