Help: A Silicon NPN Piggybacked version of the Dallas Rangemaster

Started by marcoharder, June 05, 2007, 04:37:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcoharder

Hi! Would anyone know where I can find a link of an NPN based Dallas Rangemaster schematic? I'm looking at piggybacking two transistors to have the low gain that Ge transistors have. OC44 transistors are really hard to find here in the Philippines.

Thanks!

MartyMart

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

marcoharder

Got that! :)

But the thing is, I can't find Germanium transistors either here in Manila. I want to try out piggybacking two transistors in this circuit but I don't know how to do it. I also don't know what Si transistors would be suitable for this purpose. :(

MartyMart

See if you can get hold of these :
2N3903 - low gain NPN
2N3114 -    "
2N2270 -    "

Search "piggyback' FOR  some good tips !
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

GREEN FUZ

There are several NPN Rangemaster layouts in the gallery that could I`m sure be adapted.

Long thread on piggybacking here.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=17513.0

Good luck.

zjokka

I made this graph when experimenting with piggybacking. The original gain of the transistors doesn't seem to matter, because they all go down to hfe 5-15 when piggyback without extra resistance between the emitters. The effect of extra resistance you can read in the graph

marcoharder

Quote from: zjokka on June 05, 2007, 06:58:12 AM
I made this graph when experimenting with piggybacking. The original gain of the transistors doesn't seem to matter, because they all go down to hfe 5-15 when piggyback without extra resistance between the emitters. The effect of extra resistance you can read in the graph

Hey thanks! I actually started to want to make a Rangemaster because of your youtube clip. :)

mac

2N2369, but they can pick some RF in this circuit. Never tried.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

Ben N

• SUPPORTER

blackbirdneo

sir marcoharder/ titser_marco, mayrong ge dito sa atin. 2sb324 if im not mistaken. tried it on a fauzzface before and ok naman siya:-D

calculating_infinity

Check out the Omega at runoffgroove.com .  I have yet to build it but I will soon.  From what I've read you can get a rangemaster type boost as well as lpb'ish type boost. 

Gus

I would build it with one Si to start you might like the sound.  2n3904,2n2222a etc....  You can always change the transistor(s) used

stopstopsmile

Gus, how can you make a rangemaster with a 2n3904 and make it sound nice and clean and sparkly?  I tried and it was just ugly sounding.  I need some advice.

petemoore

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Dragonfly

2n3903 is an easy to find, nice sounding, cheap NPN silicon

stopstopsmile

I know that the carb pedal is a silicon rangemaster.  Somehow he made it sound really good.  I tried a few 2n3904 and a few other easy to find 2n's and it sounded really ugly. 

Dragonfly

Quote from: stopstopsmile on November 23, 2007, 05:10:14 PM
I know that the carb pedal is a silicon rangemaster.  Somehow he made it sound really good.  I tried a few 2n3904 and a few other easy to find 2n's and it sounded really ugly. 

There are ways... ;)

Or you could just build the Muffmaster...

http://www.muzique.com/schem/muff3.gif

mac

Maybe the Brian MAy Boost. It has a BC182L Si, others low-med gain may work.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

Isaiah