thoughts on Digitech Space Station eprom copying?

Started by Processaurus, June 07, 2007, 10:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

somnabula

I've got the reverberator program from the chip!  ;D

I still have to send it to Digi2t and he might have to check if it works, but it should be ok.

I will then try to write the eproms myself and report the modding process.

Fingers crossed!

Greenmachine

May the force be with you.  I'd love to build a clone of the space station.

digi2t

Quote from: Greenmachine on June 18, 2012, 06:21:37 PM
May the force be with you.  I'd love to build a clone of the space station.

You don`t really build anything. It`s just a matter of taking any one of the three other pedals, and making some minor modifications.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

mwynwood

Does anyone know where I can find the memory ICs "D41464C" or a "D61464DC"?
I've tried Jaycar, RS, Mouser and even Sydney Keyboards with no luck  :icon_cry:
Marcus Wynwood
My Build Blog
MarcusGuitar.com

digi2t

Quote from: mwynwood on June 26, 2012, 01:39:58 AM
I've tried Jaycar, RS, Mouser and even Sydney Keyboards with no luck  :icon_cry:

There are some on Ebay.

They are discontinued (I believe), and hard to find. I`ll look into a substitute.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: mwynwood on June 26, 2012, 01:39:58 AM

Hey Marcus... any progress with your conversion?  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

mwynwood

Hi Govmnt_Lacky
No, I haven't ordered the memory ICs yet.  :icon_redface:

Other than that, it's all ready to go

• I've already done the "unity mod"
  • I've soldered in all the IC Sockets
  • I got my XP-300 IC back from Digi2t the other day (THANKS!)
  • I have a switch and wires sitting on my desk just waiting!
Marcus Wynwood
My Build Blog
MarcusGuitar.com

somnabula

Sorry for the long wait, but I've been a bit busy lately and it took some time to get all the parts, but I can report that the reverberator program that I copied from my original reverberator works when written on a new eprom. Digi2t also has this program now.

Also the other programs now work in my original reverberator.

I still have to install them all with a rotary switch and do the output volume mod.

I promise to do a photo report  once everything is finished.

Anyway, I can already report some weird ass noises coming from the pedal.  ;D

LocalToast

Yo,

I was in the market for a whammy and an XP-100 popped up on Craigslist; nabbed it for $60 not even knowing about this mod! As I've been doing lately with new pedals, I decided to check if any mods exist, and stumbled upon many pages about the XP-1000 and this thread!

Anyway, when I get the time/money I think I will attempt the mods recommended in this thread! Glad to see it's relatively active and that everybody is willing to share abilities/code with one another.

P.S. -- When registering and attempting to answer the "Who makes the Les Paul" security question, I tried "Les Paul", "Lester William Polsfuss", and "Lester Polsfuss" ... later realizing the answer was Gibson. Felt like a complete idiot.

digi2t

Quote from: LocalToast on July 23, 2012, 10:28:14 PM
Yo,

I was in the market for a whammy and an XP-100 popped up on Craigslist; nabbed it for $60 not even knowing about this mod! As I've been doing lately with new pedals, I decided to check if any mods exist, and stumbled upon many pages about the XP-1000 and this thread!

Anyway, when I get the time/money I think I will attempt the mods recommended in this thread! Glad to see it's relatively active and that everybody is willing to share abilities/code with one another.

P.S. -- When registering and attempting to answer the "Who makes the Les Paul" security question, I tried "Les Paul", "Lester William Polsfuss", and "Lester Polsfuss" ... later realizing the answer was Gibson. Felt like a complete idiot.

Welcome to the forum localtoast, and thanks for breaking the ice with that little stoy at the end. Don't worry, we accept everyone here, just the way they are. :icon_lol:

I'm (slowly) compiling a build article for the XP-100 to XP-ALL. I plan on having it available to all for download in the gallery, in the near future. I'll also have the code available, for those with the capacity to burn their own chips. I will also offer a chip burning service, for those without the capacity to do so.

So, sit tight.

Cheers,
Dino
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX

LocalToast

I think it's really cool how much you support this mod, digi2t. Anyway I could get the code now and worry about burning it later? It'd be fun just to look at. :D

I hopefully will have access to an EPROM programmer and other such resources at my university; I am an electrical engineering undergrad. I'll just say it's part of an independent study :P

My board is identical to mwynwood's, so I will have to be on the prowl for the memory IC's on eBay. Currently this one is available, although it lists a 120ns response time. Any other places I should look?

As a side note, just looking at the construction of this thing, I would really like to upgrade the pedal itself to something akin to a Crybaby and possibly replace the LED/photoresistor with an actual potentiometer (if that would be more practical -- the mechanical upgrade would probably suffice). I feel like the footswitches could use an upgrade as well, although it would kind of ruin the aesthetic of the pedal... something kind of nostalgic about cheap black plastic.

It's all money to be burnt, for sure.

digi2t

Quote from: LocalToast on July 25, 2012, 12:04:49 AM
I think it's really cool how much you support this mod, digi2t. Anyway I could get the code now and worry about burning it later? It'd be fun just to look at. :D

I hopefully will have access to an EPROM programmer and other such resources at my university; I am an electrical engineering undergrad. I'll just say it's part of an independent study :P

My board is identical to mwynwood's, so I will have to be on the prowl for the memory IC's on eBay. Currently this one is available, although it lists a 120ns response time. Any other places I should look?

As a side note, just looking at the construction of this thing, I would really like to upgrade the pedal itself to something akin to a Crybaby and possibly replace the LED/photoresistor with an actual potentiometer (if that would be more practical -- the mechanical upgrade would probably suffice). I feel like the footswitches could use an upgrade as well, although it would kind of ruin the aesthetic of the pedal... something kind of nostalgic about cheap black plastic.

Yup, those RAM chips are fine. That's what we used. 120ns is fine, but for the 27C256, don't go slower that 150ns (-15). Apparently there are boot up problems that may occur when stacking them for multi-boot applications.

I will be posting all the code soon in the gallery. Then everyone will be able to access them, without me having to email them.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX

DJGlukBH

Quote from: digi2t on July 25, 2012, 11:46:45 AM
Quote from: LocalToast on July 25, 2012, 12:04:49 AM

Yup, those RAM chips are fine. That's what we used. 120ns is fine, but for the 27C256, don't go slower that 150ns (-15). Apparently there are boot up problems that may occur when stacking them for multi-boot applications.

I will be posting all the code soon in the gallery. Then everyone will be able to access them, without me having to email them.

Hi digi2t,

Do you have any updates on this? I've just bought necessary parts to get my XP100 modified to xp300 and really looking for the xp300 firmware :)
Thanks, Vasiliy

digi2t

All XP series .bin files, and schematics, are now available here;

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/digi2t/Information/Digitech+XP/

Not that I don't like hearing from you guys, but you can all help yourselves.  ;D
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX

somnabula

Thanks dino for this great contribution to the community!

In the mean time I still haven't gotten to piggybacking the chips and installing the rotary switch due to other projects and lack of time.
But this is now getting priority. ;D

The best of luck with the modding to all of you!

digi2t

Quote from: somnabula on August 21, 2012, 03:27:46 PM

In the mean time I still haven't gotten to piggybacking the chips and installing the rotary switch due to other projects and lack of time.

I most definately may not take total credit for the mod. Govmnt_Lacky played a huge role as well. Much of the "XP-ALL" grunt work was done by him, with me providing code, thoughts, and at times, cheerleading  :icon_mrgreen:.

Anyhow, we're slowly putting together a build paper for the XP-ALL, so as anyone who wants to do the build, may do so. Without falling into the pitfalls we did! The paper will concentrate on the complete conversion. We figured that anyone with skills enough to tackle the complete conversion, should be able to do a reduced build i.e. XP-100/XP-300 only. In any case, we're always here to field questions.

If I may boast, we did figure out how to switch between modes WITHOUT having to power down the unit. This was a major coup for us, putting our version ahead of the Jetpack versions. I'm not one to toot a horn, but we were very happy about this one. :icon_cool:

As soon as the paper is complete, I'll post, and upload it to the Gallery.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX

mwynwood

Quote from: digi2t on August 21, 2012, 08:36:20 PM
Quote from: somnabula on August 21, 2012, 03:27:46 PM

I most definately may not take total credit for the mod. Govmnt_Lacky played a huge role as well. Much of the "XP-ALL" grunt work was done by him, with me providing code, thoughts, and at times, cheerleading  :icon_mrgreen:.

Anyhow, we're slowly putting together a build paper for the XP-ALL, so as anyone who wants to do the build, may do so. Without falling into the pitfalls we did! The paper will concentrate on the complete conversion. We figured that anyone with skills enough to tackle the complete conversion, should be able to do a reduced build i.e. XP-100/XP-300 only. In any case, we're always here to field questions.

If I may boast, we did figure out how to switch between modes WITHOUT having to power down the unit. This was a major coup for us, putting our version ahead of the Jetpack versions. I'm not one to toot a horn, but we were very happy about this one. :icon_cool:

As soon as the paper is complete, I'll post, and upload it to the Gallery.

Thank you so much for all your work guys!
My RAM arrived in the mail the other day, so I'll be attempting my XP-100/300 conversion very soon!
I'm interested in how to switch modes without powering down... sounds great!
Marcus Wynwood
My Build Blog
MarcusGuitar.com

Govmnt_Lacky

@Dino

Thanks for the kind props! Although I must admit that my effort is a tad overstated  :icon_redface:

By the way.... I have not forgotten about the contribution to the paper. Things are hectic now but I'll refocus and try to get you the requested info.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

digi2t

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on August 21, 2012, 08:49:28 PM
@Dino

Thanks for the kind props! Although I must admit that my effort is a tad overstated  :icon_redface:

By the way.... I have not forgotten about the contribution to the paper. Things are hectic now but I'll refocus and try to get you the requested info.

No problemo brother. As soon as I get it, I can finish the paper and post it.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX

pinkjimiphoton

dudes...i believe i'm getting a space station tomorrow...could that be converted to an "all" by someone of my (low) skill levels? :icon_twisted:
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr