Repairing a messed up solder point

Started by studiostud, June 09, 2007, 01:26:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

studiostud

Hey guys,

Got an issue I need some advice about.  I was troubleshooting the ground wire going to my PCB and I accidentally lifted the whole solder point off of the PCB with the wire.  Unfortunately, it is a purchased etched PCB so I can't just use another solder point.  Is there anything I can do here?  Any products I can get to fashion a new solder point?  TIA for any help.

Jeff
Builds Completed: Big Muff. Fuzz Face. Tube Screamer. Rat. Crash Sync. Harmonic Jerkulator. 6-band EQ. Rebote 2.5. Tremulus Lune. Small Stone. Small Clone. Microamp. LPB-2. Green Ringer. Red Ranger. Orange Squeezer. SansAmp. MXR Headphone Amp. Bass Fuzz.

calculating_infinity

You could use a piece of solid core wire or lead from a resistor, diode, etc. to bridge the gap.  You can then solder what I am assuming your ground wire to that lead.  It is a bit tricky but it will work.  You could twist the ground wire to the lead or solid core wire and solder them together before bridging the gap.  That may prove to be easier.  I am sure there is a much better way to do this but I cant think of anything clever.  Good luck man. 

96ecss

Hi,

I made the same mistake with a build a while back. I lifted one of the pads where a resistor was soldered in my 808 clone. I just soldered the leg of the resistor from the lifted pad to the next point on the PCB which was another resistor. Problem solved.

Dave

R.G.

The standard for what to do is to scrape any coating off the trace which leads to the now-lifted pad for about 1/4"/6mm, then solder on a resistor lead.

Before you solder on the resistor lead, form a loop in the end which will go at the hole, so component leads protrude through the hole. This helps hold the soldered-in part in place, which is one other function of the pad.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

96ecss

I like the idea of the loop. I will definitely do that next time. Thanks R.G.

Dave

Nasse

I worked with older repairman, he had the thinnest desoldering braid just for thin traces, and he was very careful not to overheat the tracks (turned down the station temp control a bit)
  • SUPPORTER

jmasciswannabe

the loop, cool never thought of that! learn somethin' new everyday!
....the staircase had one too many steps