colorsound wah swell schematics or photos ?

Started by bluedreamin, June 09, 2007, 03:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluedreamin

Hey guys ,
I recently acquired a very old Colorsound wah swell which does not work , I believe it is the 1st model and I am suspecting it is wired wrong since all the board components check out fine as well as the switch and jacks but it definitely looks like the wires have been messed around with ! Would anyone have a gut photo of one of these wahs or even a schematic ?? The only schems I have found are for a revision 2 which has a few parts that mine does not ...any help would be appreciated very much !!   

analogguru

Does it have one or two PCB´s inside ?

analogguru

bluedreamin

Thanks for the reply ! It has only one PCB .

analogguru

hmmm.... so it seems that it is from the third series (of 4). dating beetween 1973 and 1977. It must be in a yellow wide case....

Is it a WahFuzzSwell or a SuperWahFuzzSwell (1st series)?
Is there a date-stamp inside ?
Is the pcb-color brown or blue ?
Is the (fuzz)-trimpoti open or encapsuled (piher) ?
Which transistos are used BC184, BC169, ZTX ....?
Are there only Siemens-capacitors or "tropical fish" (Philips) or small green (japanese) ?
The electrolytics are silver, yellow, blue or grey ?
Are there any green coloured resistors ?
Are the wires to the Fuzz switch screened?

Do you prefer an inside picture or a schematic ?

analogguru

bluedreamin

Hey Analogguru,
It is a purplish shell , can't find any date stamp , brown board , this does not have a fuzz circuit just wah /swell , BC108 trannys , trop. fish caps ...2-.22's and 2 - .01's , 2- blue 10uf electros , no green resistors , carb film / silver band .
A pic would be fabulous , schems good too !!
Thanks !! 

analogguru

QuoteIt is a purplish shell
That would lead to the Organ-Wah-swell.

Quotethis does not have a fuzz circuit just wah /swell
sorry, my mistake...

QuoteBC108 trannys , trop. fish caps ...2-.22's and 2 - .01's , 2- blue 10uf electros , no green resistors , carb film / silver band .
that´s really old....

Does it look like this inside ?
http://www.amps-n-bits.com/guitar-pedals/colorsound-wah-swell-gp0003-c.jpg
http://www.amps-n-bits.com/guitar-pedals/colorsound-wah-swell-gp0003-b.jpg

or is the pcb more rectangular ?

analogguru

vortex

There is a Colorsound Wah-Swell schem here, along with many others.

http://www.schematicheaven.com/effects.htm

Hopefully the right one!

bluedreamin

No , it looks nothing like those 2 pics but is rectagular . Vortex , I did dig up the schem you have shown the link for which is a "revision 2" , mine is not this one and does not have a 1.5k nor the 47k resistor ...perhaps I have a weird obsure wah here eh ?
Thanks for the replies and please , lets keep diggin ! 

analogguru

bluedreamin

Yes , this is very similar although mine has a slightly different layout , does not have a 1.5k res. but am extra 100k , polarity is different on one of the electros ...I should attempt to post a photo later today !
Is this a working unit even though the wires are not all connected ? Would you know the pinout and type of trannys ?
Thanks again !

analogguru

Photo will be god, also from the solder-side.
There should be a 1k5 always....if not, this would be curious.
I suspect, that you have the rare version with 10 solder-lugs (for wiring).
I know the pinout and type of trannys.

analogguru

bluedreamin

Yes . it does have 10 lugs and I will try to figure out how to post a photo today !

bluedreamin

Well ....I took photos but have no idea how to post them ??? Feeling kind of stupid ...don't know how to link them ! ? Any ideas / help ?

analogguru

If you don´t have any free webspace where you can link to, you can send them to me by e-mail:
anubics @ gmail.com

analogguru

bluedreamin

analogguru

yes, 10 minutes ago, today you will receive an answer.

analogguru

bluedreamin

No worries here ...whenever you find the time sir !

~arph

Hi,

Eventhough I have no time really right now for debuggin.. Since this thread pops-up I'll ask a question too..
I have a Wah-Swell too (blue case, NO fuzz). The problem it has is this. Whe the pedal is engaged it sound just like it s bypassed. I checked this and the signal is definately running through the circuit only, there is no Wah sound.. could this be the inductor? everything else seems fine?  is there a way to see if the inductor is ok? I measured resistance and it  has (from the top of my head) a resistance of around 160 ohms... is this ok or might it be shorting somewhere?
caps seem ok. (electolytes too).  Only other thing could be the transistors, which have been replaced with new ones of the same type (previous owner, who also made it TB, killing the sweel function)

Sorry for the vague post.

Arnoud

John Lyons

~arph
If the electrolytic caps are old you should replace them and see if that brings anything to life.
It's unlikely that the inductor is dead unless it really got beat up somehow.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

analogguru

160 Ohm seems to be a litte bit much.  The colorsound wah-inductors I measured had only around 80 Ohms.

analogguru