Looking for Ibanez AD-9 AD9 mods

Started by gluedtogether, June 11, 2007, 09:18:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gluedtogether

I just picked up one of the reissue ad9's and am looking for suggestion on mods. I have heard there are ways to make this true bypass, does anyone know if this follows the same steps at true bypassing the ts-9? Is there a better chip? Any suggestions are welcome. thanks

gluedtogether

Also, does anyone have the schematic for the ad9?

Dirk_Hendrik

I've posted the IO filtering some 2 months ago.

And,
Before drilling a bloody hole into that pedal consider using a relay for that TB and feel free to PM me if you need help. I feel it would be a shame seeing another pretty AD9 being drilled to pieces because of the damn switch.
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

HOTGUIT

I'm interested in AD9 mods too. (in making it true bypass without drilling it)
Mine is an original early '80s AD9
Where can I find your post?

jonathan perez

no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

gluedtogether

Not drilling a hole would be nice. I drilled a hole throught the silver name panel on my ts-9 following a diagram by keeley. it was not too bad and works great, but it would be nice to avoid the drilling. I will search through past postings and contact with questions. one thing I liked about adding the external switch was using the stock switch for something else. I think Keeley, sets it to hold the repeat on a note which seemed pretty cool. Thanks for the note on a second option

gluedtogether

I just got my stock re-issue ad-9 and ab'd with my ad-80. the ad-80 had a longer delay time and warmer sound. Are there mods to increase delay time? If I replace the existing chips with the new 3205 chips from cool audio, will that change any of the sound?

trevize

probably piggybacking would twice the delay capabilities without losing in quality.
But I wouldn't try on vintage 3205 ics...

If you have some 3205 I would mak an add on board with them in parallel.

Dirk_Hendrik

Quote from: gluedtogether on June 14, 2007, 11:32:15 AM
I just got my stock re-issue ad-9 and ab'd with my ad-80. the ad-80 had a longer delay time and warmer sound. Are there mods to increase delay time? If I replace the existing chips with the new 3205 chips from cool audio, will that change any of the sound?

Not much.

Piggyback is a possibility. Connect the output of the first to the 2nd. It might be very wise to decouple em DC and give the 2nd one an independant Bias trimmer.
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

jonathan perez

at that rate, why not just shoot for buying a digital delay with longer delay times?
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

Dirk_Hendrik

Quote from: thebattleofmidway on June 14, 2007, 01:36:13 PM
at that rate, why not just shoot for buying a digital delay with longer delay times?

Less fun, less satisfaction when getting the job done.

gluedtogether

Not really interested in the digital delay route, I like the analog delays. My main goal isn't longer delay time, just nice sounding analog delay. Since my ad-80 had a longer delay, I was only wondering if I could get this to go longer. I still want to true bypass, make it sound a bit nicer/warmer. I thought about sending it to keeley for their mods, but wanted to try doing things on my own

gluedtogether

that is my own, with help from the forum

gluedtogether

Update. I socketed the opamp and the clock chips and put in the cool audio clone and a RC4558 and it sounds a bit better, although I can't ab for a true test. The delay chips are 8 pin small chip and the new delay chips are 8 pin in the size of a 16 pin. I am going to attempt to wire from the old board to the a small board that has the new chips and see if that works

if anyone has any suggestions as to other changes to try, let me know. This is a reissue so I am not worried about mods changing the pedals value.

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: gluedtogether on July 13, 2007, 10:42:44 AM
This is a reissue so I am not worried about mods changing the pedals value.
The reissues of today are the vintages of tomorrow.
Just something to think about...
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.