LED indicator won't turn off

Started by studiostud, June 12, 2007, 11:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

studiostud

Hello,

I'm trying to troubleshoot the last few problems with my Tube Screamer build from Tonepad.  The pedal works fine and actually, it sounds really pretty legit.  I'm very pleased with the tone quality.  I'm having two problems though and I think they might be related. 

The first is that the LED indicator light won't turn off, regardless of what position the stomp switch is in.  I wired the positive end of the LED through a 2.2K resistor and then to the same lug on the power jack that the 9V to the PCB comes from and then I wired the negative side to the northwest corner lug of the 3PDT stomp switch, just above the lug connected directly to the input jack's ground lug. 

The second problem is that whenever I turn the pedal on, it makes an audible pop sound through the amp, epecially when the amp and the pedal have a decent amount of level.

I think these problems are related because I've heard a lot of people talking about the pop sound in reference to the LED indicator.  Anyone have any ideas?  Is there any other info I can give that would help diagnose the issue?  TIA for any info.

Jeff
Builds Completed: Big Muff. Fuzz Face. Tube Screamer. Rat. Crash Sync. Harmonic Jerkulator. 6-band EQ. Rebote 2.5. Tremulus Lune. Small Stone. Small Clone. Microamp. LPB-2. Green Ringer. Red Ranger. Orange Squeezer. SansAmp. MXR Headphone Amp. Bass Fuzz.

petemoore

The second problem is that whenever I turn the pedal on, it makes an audible pop sound through the amp, epecially when the amp and the pedal have a decent amount of level.

I think these problems are related because I've heard a lot of people talking about the pop sound in reference to the LED indicator.

I assume pulldown resistors were used on the input/output caps.
  I imagine the LED switching couldn't be responsible for popping because it sounds like the LED isn't being switched.
  The LED circuit is intended to be broken by the switch, for some reason the LED circuit isnt' being lifted when in bypass mode...the DMM should be able to sort out what is or isn't happening with the switch, lift power supply, test across the switch's LED lugs while switching the DMM should beep when switch is 'on' mode...the LED circuit can be broken/lifted by the switch anywhere in the LED/resistor circuit, anywhere between V+/V-.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

studiostud

Thanks for the info.  You lost me in a couple spots.  I'm not sure what you mean by the input/output caps.  Would those be on the PCB? I don't have any caps in the pedal that are not on the PCB.  When you're saying test across the LED lugs, do you mean doing a continuity test or a voltage test?  And which LED lugs are you referring to?  Do you mean the power jack lug and the stomp switch lug on either end of the LED or do you mean the stomp switch lug for the LED and the lug below going to chassis ground?
Builds Completed: Big Muff. Fuzz Face. Tube Screamer. Rat. Crash Sync. Harmonic Jerkulator. 6-band EQ. Rebote 2.5. Tremulus Lune. Small Stone. Small Clone. Microamp. LPB-2. Green Ringer. Red Ranger. Orange Squeezer. SansAmp. MXR Headphone Amp. Bass Fuzz.

petemoore

Thanks for the info.  You lost me in a couple spots.
  Schematic is of indespensible assistance for that.
I'm not sure what you mean by the input/output caps.
Easily Identified by part #'s on some schematics.
  Would those be on the PCB?
Yes, the caps would, I would guess TP layout also has pulldown resistors for the caps, they'd be from the 'outside' of the circuit to ground 1 pulldown on the input cap and 1 on the output cap, greater than 1meg I think.
I don't have any caps in the pedal that are not on the PCB.  When you're saying test across the LED lugs, do you mean doing a continuity test or a voltage test?
  I didn't say across the LED, you must mean " test across the switch's LED lugs' And which LED lugs are you referring to?  Do you mean the power jack lug and the stomp switch lug on either end of the LED or do you mean the stomp switch lug for the LED and the lug below going to chassis ground?
  The LED circuit consists of LED/Resistor.
  The power supply for the LED is Gnd. / V+...the *Switch..is supposed to open the LED circuit. I guess they assigned the wiring so that the LED circuit goes through the switch [2 lugs of switch,..BTW LED's and R's/C's have 'leads' or legs'], which open and close the LED circuit when the pedal is bypassed and 'on' respectively.
  It boils down to 'follow the wiring diagram', then it works...verify that the wiring diagram is followed on your board by performing tests with the DMM.
  Without the diagram I could be typing about a wiring assignment which maybe the one you're using, we're already having trouble identifying components.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.