An overdrive pedal I created, the Yuri Overdrive

Started by bioroids, June 12, 2007, 10:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bioroids

Hi!, I posted at my site a new effect I've been working on. I call it the "Yuri Overdrive". I designed it for my own use, but I wanted to share it with you guys, who made possible that I'm making designs.

It's a Fet based overdrive pedal with russian GE transistors as clipping diodes. I also used a different aproach for the gain control which I haven't seen before. It kind of has an "old" sound that I was looking for, mostly for low gain leads, but also sounds good at higher gains.

If you want to check it out you can do it here http://www.bioroids.com.ar/circuits/c02_yuri_overdrive.php
I have some sound samples there if you want to hear it too (with some very sloppy playing I must admit)

Regards!

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

aron

Sounds cool. Wow, that SG sounds bright at the beginning. Nice playing!

Dylfish

mnordbye

The Yuri sounds great! Cool build..
I could believe at low gain settings, playing a single coil guitar through it would be cool. Cranked tube-amp and low gain Yuri.  :)
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

MartyMart

Sounds real nice Miguel, any quick tips as to replacements for the J310 and PN4393 ?
I'm guessing that the lower gain 2N5457/MPF102 may be best ....
Russian MP40's I have :D
I like that slightly "twisted" gain control - cool idea !
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

d95err

Looks cool!

The gain control is similar to the one used ni the Ax84 P2 tube amp project:

http://195.178.227.103/ax84/media/ax84_m247.pdf

I like the idea of variable negative feedback on a discrete transistor stage. Should be a low-noice solution since you're not throwing away gain as with an attenuating gain control.

markm

bioroids

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it!

I wish I had a single coil guitar to try some sounds
Quote from: d95err on June 13, 2007, 06:51:53 AM
The gain control is similar to the one used ni the Ax84 P2 tube amp project:

http://195.178.227.103/ax84/media/ax84_m247.pdf

I like the idea of variable negative feedback on a discrete transistor stage. Should be a low-noice solution since you're not throwing away gain as with an attenuating gain control.
It is exactly the same idea! it really does improve the noise performance as you say.

Quote from: MartyMart on June 13, 2007, 04:41:01 AM
Sounds real nice Miguel, any quick tips as to replacements for the J310 and PN4393 ?
I'm guessing that the lower gain 2N5457/MPF102 may be best ....
Russian MP40's I have :D

I used those transistors because that's what I had laying around. It would probably sound better with the good old J201 (or maybe not), and the 2N5457/MPF102 sound like good replacements too. There is a 100% chance that you had to adjust the collector resistors. I provided collector and emitter voltages as a guide. I like J310 as emitter followers because they bias at around 4v! but they have the worst variation I've seen in transistors by far.

I liked the MP40's and 35's because they clip at around 100 or 150mv! Be aware that the MP35 is NPN, so if you use MP40 you should put it backwards.

Quote from: aron on June 13, 2007, 01:30:47 AM
Sounds cool. Wow, that SG sounds bright at the beginning. Nice playing!

Thanks Aron. You have some good ear! It sounds bright because it has brand new strings and I just changed the stock pot to 1M. I'm trying to get used to the new sound (I think I prefer the sound of used strings lol, maybe I should switch to another brand)

Regards!

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

newbie builder

Quote from: bioroids on June 13, 2007, 07:56:56 AM

Thanks Aron. You have some good ear! It sounds bright because it has brand new strings and I just changed the stock pot to 1M. I'm trying to get used to the new sound (I think I prefer the sound of used strings lol, maybe I should switch to another brand)

GHS Boomers (to me at least) never have too much of that "sparkly new string" sound, and Snake Oil Brand Strings (my favorite strings by far) have very little of it at all, and last a very long time as well (this based upon my experience with their "vintage" sets, not rock).

Nice sounding circuit!
//

QSQCaito

Muy bueno miguel, que bueno ver Argentinos Diyers ;)

Just some congrats in spanish :p
It sounds good indeed.. I like it most at low gain settings ;)
D.A.C

bioroids

Quote from: newbie builder on June 13, 2007, 08:08:33 PM
GHS Boomers (to me at least) never have too much of that "sparkly new string" sound, and Snake Oil Brand Strings (my favorite strings by far) have very little of it at all, and last a very long time as well (this based upon my experience with their "vintage" sets, not rock).

I'll have to try those!

Quote from: QSQCaito on June 13, 2007, 08:27:12 PM
Muy bueno miguel, que bueno ver Argentinos Diyers ;)

Ya somos unos cuantos creo. Tengo pendiente poner unas cuantas cosas en mi sitio en castellano!

Regards!

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

funkycam

Paul Marossy

That sounds really nice. I must say that it sounds something like my Seymour Duncan Convertible on the lead channel with a Normal, Solid State FET and High Gain module in it. It has a similar tone and breaks up in a similar fashion. Nice!

What could you use if you don't have an MP35 or an MP40?

Oh yeah, and that guitar playing is terrible!  :icon_rolleyes:

(just kidding)

mac

Muy bueno Miguel. Cambiaste las valvulas del Fender tambien ? :icon_mrgreen:

What's next? The Sputnik?

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

Paul Marossy

Hmm... I wonder what an Apollo 13 pedal would sound like?  :icon_lol:

bioroids

Quote from: Paul Marossy on June 16, 2007, 03:12:12 PM
Hmm... I wonder what an Apollo 13 pedal would sound like?  :icon_lol:

You'll need to get some of the germaniums used by NASA, I wonder if Smallbears carries them?

Quote from: mac on June 16, 2007, 01:47:32 PM
Muy bueno Miguel. Cambiaste las valvulas del Fender tambien ? :icon_mrgreen:

What's next? The Sputnik?

Ha ha don't laugh, but I designed a Fuzz around those russian transistors that I planned to call "The Sputnik"

Quote from: Paul Marossy on June 15, 2007, 09:43:13 PM
What could you use if you don't have an MP35 or an MP40?

Oh yeah, and that guitar playing is terrible!  :icon_rolleyes:

The MP20 can be used too I suppose. I tried it with regular germanium diodes (Smallbear) and it sounds way different. The russians seem to clip at around 150mv, and pretty soft I guess. Keep in mind that the 'P' in 'MP' is in fact the greek letter Pi. I think some call them 'MN40' too.

Yeah, my playing kinda sucks, I should practice more and build less (and work less would be good to  :icon_twisted:)

Regards!

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

mac

Those russians Ge you gave sound very crystal-clear, like silicons. BTW, if they clip at low mV, what about a schottky diode?

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

Paul Marossy

QuoteYeah, my playing kinda sucks, I should practice more and build less

I think you sound great, I couldn't really hear anything that I would call sloppy. I could really tell in my own playing, though - it really went downhill for a while. It took me about a year of concerted effort to get close to where I was before I started building stuff.  :icon_confused:

Thanks for the info on the MP35/40.