mosfet and hiss?

Started by rpjones, June 13, 2007, 12:46:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rpjones

I am trying to track down the source of some excessive hiss in my AMZ mosfet boost build. I understand that the bs170 mosfet is delicate. The pedal sounds great, but is very hissy when not playing. If the mosfet is functioning well, is it possible that the hiss could be coming from it? I built the AMZ mini-booster and it is very quiet. Thanks.

Processaurus

The mosfet boost I built wasn't particularly quiet, the hiss was definitely in there.

DeeBug

I have an AMZ Mosfet Boost, but it has no discernible hiss.  I mean, it's dead quiet.

Having said that, mine was built by a boutique builder (with permission from AMZ, I understand).  It's an SCP.

I know that doesn't help much, but I'm curious to know why both of yours have hiss (I was thinking of building one myself).

Hopefully more folks will chime in.

grapefruit

I've built a circuit similar to the AMZ Mosfet Boost and it didn't have any discernible hiss.

Stew.

petemoore

Had hiss once, but no hiss is possible, shouldn't really hiss.
  Tried a different transistor?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

rpjones

I think that will be next, I socketed it so maybe I'll just throw another bs170 in there. Other than the hiss I love the sound of the circuit.

PerroGrande

Any time there is noise, hiss, etc, noticeable from a circuit that has gain, one has to isolate whether the hiss is being produced by that circuit or is being amplified by that circuit (or a combination of both!). 

One easy thing to try is to short the *input* to the booster to ground.  This will isolate the gain circuit and make sure the input isn't floating and picking up room noise, etc.  If this doesn't change the hiss, then you're certain that the booster circuit is the source.  Check at various boost levels, all the way up to maximum. 

Secondly, you want to make sure you don't "help" hiss by using components of low quality.   Basic carbon resistors are a notorious source of noise.  This is especially true when you're dealing with higher resistance values.  Wirewound resistors are the quietest, then metal film, metal oxide, carbon film, and lastly, carbon composition.

Also, you might try replacing the 10Meg resistor in the bias circuit with a lower value (1-2 Meg).  This will lower the effective input impedance of the circuit, but shouldn't cause roll-off in the frequency response.  A really high input impedance does allow more "stuff" (including hiss and background-induced noise) to enter a circuit.   Just something to try.

Lastly, check to make sure your socket is making good contact, etc. 

Curious -- what are your voltages (quiescent?) for this circuit?

PerroGrande

Oh -- and one other thing...

Are you running this from a battery or from a power supply circuit?

petemoore

Another way is shown in updates to Mosfet Boosters, GEO.
 Noiseless biasing.
 [though you can get 'noiseless' from a 'Mosfet Boost'].

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

markm

Quote from: PerroGrande on June 14, 2007, 08:28:45 AM
Any time there is noise, hiss, etc, noticeable from a circuit that has gain, one has to isolate whether the hiss is being produced by that circuit or is being amplified by that circuit (or a combination of both!). 

One easy thing to try is to short the *input* to the booster to ground.  This will isolate the gain circuit and make sure the input isn't floating and picking up room noise, etc.  If this doesn't change the hiss, then you're certain that the booster circuit is the source.  Check at various boost levels, all the way up to maximum. 

Secondly, you want to make sure you don't "help" hiss by using components of low quality.   Basic carbon resistors are a notorious source of noise.  This is especially true when you're dealing with higher resistance values.  Wirewound resistors are the quietest, then metal film, metal oxide, carbon film, and lastly, carbon composition.

Also, you might try replacing the 10Meg resistor in the bias circuit with a lower value (1-2 Meg).  This will lower the effective input impedance of the circuit, but shouldn't cause roll-off in the frequency response.  A really high input impedance does allow more "stuff" (including hiss and background-induced noise) to enter a circuit.   Just something to try.

Lastly, check to make sure your socket is making good contact, etc. 

Curious -- what are your voltages (quiescent?) for this circuit?

Truly very good advice however, after having built more than several MosFET circuits IMO, it's overkill.
My guess is there's a bad solder joint or the device is "junk".

rpjones

I shorted out input to ground and hiss was still there, no change in level. It is there whether using battery or dc jack power. The quiescent voltages are:
D=4.5V
S=2.1V
G-2.63V

I have no idea if these voltages are proper or not, I am just learning. I think I will try replacing the gate resistor with a metal film and check out all the solder joints. Thanks for the input!

ps: when the level of the circuit is maxed the hiss sounds like Niagara Falls. I am sure this is not proper!

PerroGrande

No -- niagra falls is not proper...  The circuit should be extremely quiet.

A quick observation based on voltages:

Your gate voltage is only about 0.5v above your source.  It is very likely that you are operating this MOSFET too close to its threshold voltage.  Noise *IS* one of the side effects of being on the borderline with your Gate-to-Source voltage.

So -- check your wiring carefully.  I'd look carefully to make sure that your drain resistor and source resistor are the same value and properly connected.  The source is bypassed with a capacitor and the gain pot.  Make sure the cap is good/correctly installed and that the pot is also properly installed.    Oh -- and make sure you don't have the zener diode installed in the wrong direction.

It *is* possible that you have a bad MOSFET, too. 

Gus

When the input resistance is above a few meg leakage currents can cause hiss.

Leakage current can be caused by flux on the board.  Try cleaning the flux by the gate connection.

dmk

i've built two and even on full they are both remarkably quiet
resistance is futile...
...if <1Ω